JAYANN & JAY

Jobs

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How long did it take for some of you to find jobs once you got your EAD & SS#?

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

03.05.13: I-129F Sent
03.12.13: I-129F NOA1 (Vermont Service Center)
07.12.13: I-129F NOA2 (Petition approved)

08.27.13: Interview - APPROVED

09.23.13: POE to JFK

10.08.13: WEDDING DAY

AOS PROCESS

11.02.13: AOS/AP/EAD Sent

11.08.13: NOA1

12.11.13:Biometrics

01.06.14: EAD/AP combo card received

02.07.14: Received an interview waiver letter

04.18.14: Green Card received

ROC PROCESS

03.08.16: ROC Sent

03.12.16: NOA1

04.04.16:Biometrics

I guess that depends on what you believe you are qualified for and what your future employer see in you.

If you like working in the service industry like retail or restaurant, then you can find some very good entry level jobs. For instance, the economy here is getting better and there are help wanted signs everywhere in this industry. Wal-Mart, Target, McDonald's etc. are always looking for good employees. I have a friend here and she is Filipina and works in McDonald's. She started there as a counter cashier and has worked her way up in 8 months to shift manager. The owners LOVE her! They have sent her to different seminar's to help improve her skill set. This may be for you or it may not be.

If you have call center experience those jobs are available. Look on your job boards for advertisements.

If you are care giver or nurse those jobs are abundant and the best way to find those jobs, in fact any job is to net work with others who are in that industry.

I recommend that she get involved in your community with a Filipino group and network. Get involved with a Filipino Church and net work there.

If she wants to work and work well, then I think the world of employment in the States is WIDE OPEN!

You can find some pretty good jobs on Craigslist for your area.

Good luck

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

I guess that depends on what you believe you are qualified for and what your future employer see in you.

If you like working in the service industry like retail or restaurant, then you can find some very good entry level jobs. For instance, the economy here is getting better and there are help wanted signs everywhere in this industry. Wal-Mart, Target, McDonald's etc. are always looking for good employees. I have a friend here and she is Filipina and works in McDonald's. She started there as a counter cashier and has worked her way up in 8 months to shift manager. The owners LOVE her! They have sent her to different seminar's to help improve her skill set. This may be for you or it may not be.

If you have call center experience those jobs are available. Look on your job boards for advertisements.

If you are care giver or nurse those jobs are abundant and the best way to find those jobs, in fact any job is to net work with others who are in that industry.

I recommend that she get involved in your community with a Filipino group and network. Get involved with a Filipino Church and net work there.

If she wants to work and work well, then I think the world of employment in the States is WIDE OPEN!

You can find some pretty good jobs on Craigslist for your area.

Good luck

Thank you. My fiance is a nursing graduate in the Philippines he isn't an RN in the Philippines tho and he is willing to work anywhere until he gets settled her in America to take the NCLEX for him to be an RN. Kind of in tough situation between my family and fiance. Its like my family expects my fiance to be like my brother in law who also came here thru fiance visa 9 years ago.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

Thank you. My fiance is a nursing graduate in the Philippines he isn't an RN in the Philippines tho and he is willing to work anywhere until he gets settled her in America to take the NCLEX for him to be an RN. Kind of in tough situation between my family and fiance. Its like my family expects my fiance to be like my brother in law who also came here thru fiance visa 9 years ago.

Has he taken the Nurse Licensure Examination and passed in the Philippines? He should, it helps with the NCLEX and it doesn't hurt to be qualified for both. My future step daughter is going to take that path as she is in her fourth year of college. At the end of her first semesters break (Oct 22), and if we pass the Embassy interview (Sept 27), she will come to the USA because she has to get in the country before she turns 21. She will get all her documentation, do some work and save some money and then return to finish her degree and take the NLE there and then return back to USA and take the NCLEX and then find a nursing job.

Good luck to you guys!

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Has he taken the Nurse Licensure Examination and passed in the Philippines? He should, it helps with the NCLEX and it doesn't hurt to be qualified for both. My future step daughter is going to take that path as she is in her fourth year of college. At the end of her first semesters break (Oct 22), and if we pass the Embassy interview (Sept 27), she will come to the USA because she has to get in the country before she turns 21. She will get all her documentation, do some work and save some money and then return to finish her degree and take the NLE there and then return back to USA and take the NCLEX and then find a nursing job.

Good luck to you guys!

He took it twice but unfortunately did not pass it ;( So he plans on working anywhere here in the US until he gets settled and then try to pursue his nursing career.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

Nursing can be a tough one... the nursing standard in the PI seem to be, well, not "unrecognized" by the US health system, but more like "not quite to our standard". Often, more schooling is required to gain the status of RN. I know of a case where a PI nurse came to the US, joined the Army, and they wouldn't even let her perform duties as a medic, only as a receptionist, until she took several classes.

After Chinook passed the NCLEX and endorsed her license to Washington State, it took her three or four months to get her first job as an RN.

Chinook said that the NLE didn't help her pass the NCLEX because the NLE is all about memorization and the NCLEX is not. The thing that helped Chinook pass the NCLEX was studying full-time for it and not having to work while she studied.

Timeline

After Chinook passed the NCLEX and endorsed her license to Washington State, it took her three or four months to get her first job as an RN.

Chinook said that the NLE didn't help her pass the NCLEX because the NLE is all about memorization and the NCLEX is not. The thing that helped Chinook pass the NCLEX was studying full-time for it and not having to work while she studied.

I'm just in a tough situation because my fiance is being compared to my brother in-law who also came here thru fiance visa. The only thing is that my brother in-law is a licensed engineer in the Philippines so my parents expect that my fiance should be an RN in the Philippines also so he won't have a hard time looking for a job. The thing is even if my fiance passed the NLE in the Philippines he still wont be able to work as a nurse here in the US as he is not licensed here unlike engineering or accounting you can still find jobs in an office. I know passing the NLE is important but I feel like if he did pass the NLE he wont be able to use it here and still needs to take the NCLEX. Plus he wont be working in the Philippines anyways so him being an RN there is nothing.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I feel sorry already for your fiancee. You have to tell your parents that he is not the same person as your brother in law.

Your fiancee will find work based on his own capabilities, RN or not, so don't put the world on his shoulders. He will make it as long as YOU love and support him.

Timeline

I feel sorry already for your fiancee. You have to tell your parents that he is not the same person as your brother in law.

Your fiancee will find work based on his own capabilities, RN or not, so don't put the world on his shoulders. He will make it as long as YOU love and support him.

THANK YOU for those kind words. I always tell them that they are 2 different people but my parents just don't get it.I support him in whatever he wants to do in life. Success doesn't come overnight weather you have a license in whatever course you finished. Its determination & hardwork We just have to be thankful to whatever opportunities that come our way and think of ourselves very lucky because there are people who are less fortunate than us. There are people in the Philippines who have degrees but can't find jobs so they have to leave their loved ones to be able to support them and here in America weather your just a high school graduate you can still get a job.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

I'm just in a tough situation because my fiance is being compared to my brother in-law who also came here thru fiance visa. The only thing is that my brother in-law is a licensed engineer in the Philippines so my parents expect that my fiance should be an RN in the Philippines also so he won't have a hard time looking for a job. The thing is even if my fiance passed the NLE in the Philippines he still wont be able to work as a nurse here in the US as he is not licensed here unlike engineering or accounting you can still find jobs in an office. I know passing the NLE is important but I feel like if he did pass the NLE he wont be able to use it here and still needs to take the NCLEX. Plus he wont be working in the Philippines anyways so him being an RN there is nothing.

You should listen carefully to apple21.

Your parents are misguided. In my opinion, your fiancé would be wasting his time and money studying for the NLE and taking the exam. As I said, the NLE is nothing like the NCLEX. Why waste valuable time studying for the NLE when he should be concentrating on studying for the NCLEX?

Even if he passed the NLE, it's almost impossible to get a job as an RN in the Philippines. It's even very difficult to get on as a volunteer unless he has a backer. Is your fiancé willing to spend the next three to five years in the Philippines working as an RN (if he can even get a job) to gain the experience he will need in order to get a job in a U.S. hospital?

Instead, he could pass the NCLEX and start out as an RN in a long-term care facility in the U.S. They hire newbies. This path could give him the work experience he needs to make the jump into a hospital, if that's his career goal. As a bonus, you two would be together a lot sooner if he followed this path.

Timeline

You should listen carefully to apple21.

Your parents are misguided. In my opinion, your fiancé would be wasting his time and money studying for the NLE and taking the exam. As I said, the NLE is nothing like the NCLEX. Why waste valuable time studying for the NLE when he should be concentrating on studying for the NCLEX?

Even if he passed the NLE, it's almost impossible to get a job as an RN in the Philippines. It's even very difficult to get on as a volunteer unless he has a backer. Is your fiancé willing to spend the next three to five years in the Philippines working as an RN (if he can even get a job) to gain the experience he will need in order to get a job in a U.S. hospital?

Instead, he could pass the NCLEX and start out as an RN in a long-term care facility in the U.S. They hire newbies. This path could give him the work experience he needs to make the jump into a hospital, if that's his career goal. As a bonus, you two would be together a lot sooner if he followed this path.

Trust me I totally agree withe you and apple21. I have cousins in the Philippines who are nurses and yet they can't find work and only do volunteer work. That's the thing even if he did pass the NLE in the Philippines he is not gonna be able to use it anywyas because he will be living here and wouldnt be able to be an RN here regardless because he still has to take the NCLEX. My parents wants him to be like my brother in law because he was a licensed engineer in the Philippines but still my brother in law had to get has masters degree and also take the board to get his engineering license here and plus since his engineering license already expired in the Philippines and he has been here for 9yrs already. They think just because he is an RN in the Philippines it will be easier for him to get a job. He plans on working any jobs here and then once he gets settled he will study for the NCLEX and takr the test to become an RN.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

Studying for the NCLEX is a full-time job. I hope that when he comes to the U.S., he can concentrate on that and not get distracted by working some job.

The payoff will be a lifetime career with excellent wages and benefits.

Timeline

Studying for the NCLEX is a full-time job. I hope that when he comes to the U.S., he can concentrate on that and not get distracted by working some job.

The payoff will be a lifetime career with excellent wages and benefits.

What documents did they request from your wife when she took the NCLEX? We are looking at taking the NCLEX in New York as it may be easier since he just needs to get it verified by CGFNS. Did she have to go back to school or just take the review classes? It would really be nice if he does become a RN here as when we decide to have kids we wont have to worry about who will be watching our kids.:) I'm sure its easier to find a job here than in the Philippines.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

AOS PROCESS

ROC PROCESS

What documents did they request from your wife when she took the NCLEX? We are looking at taking the NCLEX in New York as it may be easier since he just needs to get it verified by CGFNS. Did she have to go back to school or just take the review classes? It would really be nice if he does become a RN here as when we decide to have kids we wont have to worry about who will be watching our kids.:) I'm sure its easier to find a job here than in the Philippines.

Chinook applied for the NCLEX through the state of Vermont. At the time she applied, Vermont did not require CGFNS because Vermont did their own in-house transcript evaluation. Also, at that time, Vermont did not have an equivalency policy like the kind you find in California and some other states, so no additional classes were necessary. Vermont has since changed their requirements. They now require CGFNS. I don't know whether they currently are strict with equilavency.

Once Chinook got her Vermont license, she had it endorsed by the start of Washington who, at that time, accepted Vermont's transcript evaluation, so no CGFNS was necessary. Also, at that time, Washington did not have an equivalently policy like they do currently.

I don't know about New York's requirements, but you can find out about them on their website, or simply call their board of nursing. However, please keep in mind that getting a license in New York may only be half of the battle. If you plan to have the license endorsed to another state, you will be required to follow that state's endorsement requirements, which may be stricter than New York's licensing requirements. Therefore, you should definitely check out the endorsement requirements of the state where you intend to get a job. You may find that it would be better to simply apply for the NCLEX through the state where you intend to practice nursing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.