craigv23

Sending copy of foreign passport with I-751?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sorry if this has been covered, as I'm new to these forums and have been a bit overwhelmed by all the info. Anyway, my wife is a Brazilian national and we are (I'm the sponsor, a U.S.-born citizen) gathering all documentation to send in for the removal of conditions for her and my stepson.

She is convinced she has to send a copy of her Brazilian passport and is worried as it is expiring in October (2013). We're sending all the paperwork some time in the next week (first week of August 2013). She read somewhere that she needs a valid foreign passport for six months? everything I've read said that she doesn't need to send in her passport with the paperwork.

She's worried we'll get denied and have to pay the expensive fees (which we can only barely afford once, honestly) again and make it a big headache/source of stress. She doesn't know if she can renew her Brazilian passport because she hasn't been in Brazil for the last two or three presidential elections, and as voting there is compulsory, she needs a valid voter's registration card to renew her Brazilian passport.

Please help with any advice/experience you have. Thank you.

Edited by craigv23

No passport is needed. Try to get her to stop worrying. It will not be denied because of it. Relax! :)

Could give us a list of other evidence you're going to submit. That will help determine if you have everything you may need,

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

No passport is needed. Try to get her to stop worrying. It will not be denied because of it. Relax! smile.png

Could give us a list of other evidence you're going to submit. That will help determine if you have everything you may need,

Yeah. We're submitting all documents since the first interview in september 2011 (we read that it's all that is necessary):

1. Apartment leases in both names.

2. Electric bills in my name, water bills in hers.

3. Dental/vision insurance cards with both names (neither of us have or have had medical insurance)

4. Auto insurance cards (registration listed separately for our two vehicles as it's too expensive to change)

5. Joint cell phone account bills/statements.

6. My 401K with her listed as the benficiary.

And I think that's it.

You do not have enough evidence!!!

Include 2011 and 2012 taxes.

Do you have a car? Submit the registration, title and insurance.

Any joint credit cards? Send the statements.

I do not see any joint bank statement - probably considered MOST important in the co-mingling of funds. Send statements that span the 2 years of marriage. Do not leave this out!

Good luck!

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

cheezees is right you need more evidence.you need financial things like joint banking statements or letter from your bank credit cards joint and joint tax transcripts 2011 and 2012 -copies of your drivers license or state I.D to show the same address, some junk mail envelopes showing both names at the same address, magazines,xmas cards birthdays,copies of any clubs togather like sams club or Costco.bjs.did you take any trips togather copies of receipts some pictures togather family and friends holidays, wedding photos.you both can send copies of the passports u.s and beneficiary just the bio-pages,it's good

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You did not mention copy of conditional green card (both sides). Its required to send it along with other documents.

Please click on "Timeline" link on the left to view my timeline.

Filed: Timeline

Sorry if this has been covered, as I'm new to these forums and have been a bit overwhelmed by all the info. Anyway, my wife is a Brazilian national and we are (I'm the sponsor, a U.S.-born citizen) gathering all documentation to send in for the removal of conditions for her and my stepson.

She is convinced she has to send a copy of her Brazilian passport and is worried as it is expiring in October (2013). We're sending all the paperwork some time in the next week (first week of August 2013). She read somewhere that she needs a valid foreign passport for six months? everything I've read said that she doesn't need to send in her passport with the paperwork.

She's worried we'll get denied and have to pay the expensive fees (which we can only barely afford once, honestly) again and make it a big headache/source of stress. She doesn't know if she can renew her Brazilian passport because she hasn't been in Brazil for the last two or three presidential elections, and as voting there is compulsory, she needs a valid voter's registration card to renew her Brazilian passport.

Please help with any advice/experience you have. Thank you.

Your wife should go to a Brazilian consulate (since it seems that she is living in the US) and renew her passport there. I think the "fine" (if any) is very low... under US$50 if I recall. (I know people who renewed their passports without voting in Brazil for years). It should not be a problem but I do think she should definitely renew it.

If your wife has no international travel plans for the next year or so and wants to become a USC, she can let her passport expire and apply for a US passport after becoming a USC. The only thing her passport does now is allow her to exit the US and enter another country. She is not required to have a valid passport to live in the US as a LPR or even as a USC. If she renews her passport it will only be valid until she becomes a USC (assuming she wants to get citizenship). The earliest she can apply for USC is in one year being married to a USC. So you can tell her to relax and she does not need a valid passport unless she decided to do some international travelling.

About your proof. Is she listed as the beneficiary on your employer's benefits and are you listed on her employer's benfits is she is employed? Joint taxes and financial statements are the #1 and #2 items you need. Beneficiary of any retirement accounts, wills, power of attorney, medical power of attorney, listed as emergency contact on any children are other things that can show co-mingling of your lives.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.