Milagros11

Translated Documents, Time Sensitive? and Divorce (Ecuador)

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Background: I sent my I-129F yesterday (7-29-13) and wouldn't you know it, today I figured out I may not have sent the right information to prove my fiance is divorced. I sent the final judgement from the judge who presided over the case, the stamps and signatures of the judges in Quito who acknowledged and approved it, and a newly issued copy of my fiance's ID card showing his civil status as divorced. Today, I came across the official requirements of the embassy in Guayaquil for when we have our interview (research for nearly a year and couldn't find this a day sooner?). They require a document from the civil registry (which I have and didn't send! *face palm*). It is a very ugly, messy document that looked like nothing more than a receipt from the civil registry to me, but it turns out it is what passes as the divorce certificate in Ecuador. So, I am going to have it translated and anticipate an RFE.

Question 1: Are translations time sensitive? If I translate the document now and get an RFE in 5 months and send it then will the translation still be considered valid or is there a 30-day (or similar) rule?

Question 2: Any chance that the final divorce judgement with ID card will pass for evidence for USCIS and I can just bring the other document to the interview at the embassy? I realize an answer to this would be purely speculation. I am just wondering how closely USCIS works with each embassy regarding required evidence and if there is any chance USCIS may be satisfied with what I have sent even though the embassy will want the additional document.

Thank you! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Translations aren't time-sensitive. Just include the "translator's certification statement" (available here on VJ).

The divorce materials that you sent might satisfy USCIS, but pray that they don't, and that you receive an RFE. The RFE will enable you to respond to the USCIS requirement and to add copious "evidence of bona fide relationship" to your petition package. USCIS won't care about the latter, but they'll send it to the Guayaquil consulate, and this is crucial.

Guayaquil has been one of the worst "#######" consulates in the world. Things have seemingly gotten slightly better since those of my era were so thoroughly hosed there, but that could be because so many VJ members have followed our sadder-but-wiser advice. No one should take any chances. See here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/110313-us-consulate-in-guayaquil-ecuador/

Although the consulate may evade or downright lie about the subject (as they have), the truth is this: The petitioner's presence is required at the beneficiary's interview, or the visa runs a 99.44% chance of being refused.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for the response TBone! I actually sent about 3inches thick worth of evidence (facebook, Skype logs, several bus tickets with both our names, passport stamps for my 6 visits since meeting 2 yrs ago + six month visa for my most recent stay, photos, wedding dress receipt, and western union receipts). I hope the bona fide relationship bit won't be a problem. I have also been reading VJ for about a year now so I do have you vets to thank for your Guayaquil embassy advice and will be present at the interview when we get to that point. Since the divorce document I didn't include in the packet is listed on the GYE guide for what to bring for the interview, I was hoping that if it does pass USCIS that the consular will just take it from me at the interview. But maybe not. I was hoping to avoid the delay of an RFE but better delay than a no at the embassy I suppose. Thanks for your input!! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Messages like yours gladden the heart, si man. :) If you do get the RFE, fatten the petition with recent material.

Also, MoneyGram seems to be cheaper than Western Union between the U.S. & Ecu. :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.