Ban Hammer

thursday thread

170 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

OMG, I just ran across this photo, maybe someone can tell them the right direction to pray in. :whistle::lol:

136.jpg

I was sitting at my desk with my hands clasped over my mouth SNORTING trying not to laugh out loud at this. I gotta send that to Moh. He'll just DIE. :lol:

There should be a boot print squarely on each rear end.

I wouldn't recommend showing your husbands. I showed mine and just got a 30 minute lecture on Islam and the "meaning" from the picture....LORD ALMIGHTY......... I actually didn't intend on him seeing it but he happened to walk by and see it...stopped to see what it was ... and then it was all downhill from there...even when I tried to explain how an American would view it..didn't matter....... some of yer hubbies might be ok with it but definitely think about it before showing them...

Ya know I wish I had seen this before showing Usama tonight!!! I got the same lecture probably. It went like, "Bridget.......this thing.....it is not funny.....this is not a joke......very very serious.................etc. etc. etc."

I see his point though. I mean I thought it was pretty funny when I saw it but his point wasn't that it is offensive, but moreso that these men are making a point that no matter what force is out there trying to tempt you, Allah is stronger. Or something like that. It kind of went on and on and on. :whistle:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Is is too late to talk about the weather???

:lol::lol::lol:

It honestly feels like spring here tonight and I'm tempted to sleep with the window open but knowing this area I'll probably wake up with icicles on me! :lol:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

I am just home from a long day there was a letter from NVC saying my petition was approved and will be sent out to Casa. :dance::dance::dance: The letter is dated Monday- the day can now be remember as the day NVC approved me rather than my accident :P

congrats on your approval :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

mabrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is GRRRRRRREAT!!!!1 :dance:

(F):D

I wouldn't recommend showing your husbands. I showed mine and just got a 30 minute lecture on Islam and the "meaning" from the picture....LORD ALMIGHTY......... I actually didn't intend on him seeing it but he happened to walk by and see it...stopped to see what it was ... and then it was all downhill from there...even when I tried to explain how an American would view it..didn't matter....... some of yer hubbies might be ok with it but definitely think about it before showing them...

Ya know I wish I had seen this before showing Usama tonight!!! I got the same lecture probably. It went like, "Bridget.......this thing.....it is not funny.....this is not a joke......very very serious.................etc. etc. etc."

I see his point though. I mean I thought it was pretty funny when I saw it but his point wasn't that it is offensive, but moreso that these men are making a point that no matter what force is out there trying to tempt you, Allah is stronger. Or something like that. It kind of went on and on and on. :whistle:

yeah , i definitely wished he hadn'tve seen it...

No worries dearie... He just takes offense to Islam reallllllllllllly quick...I guess one could say he's "touchy" :whistle:

[/quot

What is so offensive about it?

It's just a picture guys geez! It's a joke.

If Hicham was so serious all the time we wouldn't get along. Can't anyone just laugh?

we all knew it was a joke :thumbs:

we just found it interesting what our husbands thought of it..... 2 totally different opinions.. :yes:

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Is is too late to talk about the weather???

:lol::lol::lol:

It honestly feels like spring here tonight and I'm tempted to sleep with the window open but knowing this area I'll probably wake up with icicles on me! :lol:

Are you rubbing it in? :crying:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I believe the reason that it offends Islam is because there is enough ####### that is said about them as it is. People here in the US hear the worst of Islam. A picture like this is just one more slap in the face. Muslims are very reverent about their religion and the prophets. Sometimes us Americans don't show enough reverence.

I should have thought about it when I first saw it, I have a lot to learn still.

Did you ask Islam if it was offended and Islam said yes?

Ok so a few individuals were offended, but that doesn't mean that all Muslims everywhere are.

Sigh, I guess some people might understand this more when their husbands come and they convert to Islam accordingly.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

It's not a "real" pic. It was obviously staged.

There is NO WAY actual Muslim guys would actually be praying like that in an actual Muslim country. On a public street, in front of pictures of nearly undressed women ??? No way. Period.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
I believe the reason that it offends Islam is because there is enough ####### that is said about them as it is. People here in the US hear the worst of Islam. A picture like this is just one more slap in the face. Muslims are very reverent about their religion and the prophets. Sometimes us Americans don't show enough reverence.

I should have thought about it when I first saw it, I have a lot to learn still.

There is ####### said and jokes made about every single religion, Islam is not immune to it. So do you think people only hear the worst about Islam or are there some individuals that don't portray it in the best light?

There is NO WAY actual Muslim guys would actually be praying like that in an actual Muslim country. On a public street, in front of pictures of nearly undressed women ??? No way. Period.

It may not be real but either way it is funny. Politically incorrect, sure, but funny. I also think what Rebecca pointed out earlier is very true. If their religious conviction is so strong they may not care about their surroundings, praying in front of a lingerie store is not the only thing that is wrong with it.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

There is ####### said and jokes made about every single religion, Islam is not immune to it. So do you think people only hear the worst about Islam or are there some individuals that don't portray it in the best light?

It may not be real but either way it is funny. Politically incorrect, sure, but funny. I also think what Rebecca pointed out earlier is very true. If their religious conviction is so strong they may not care about their surroundings, praying in front of a lingerie store is not the only thing that is wrong with it.

My comment was in response to those who had wondered if the pic was "staged" or if it was "real."

Anyway, I understand that many folks might find such a pic funny, and that's certainly their right.

But you have to acknowledge that "funny" is an almost entirely subjective judgment, as is "offensive." Different people have different reactions to this type of humor -- as you can see from some of the reactions described in this thread.

Certainly, jokes have been made about every single religion or even ethnicity. But they are not always welcomed in every setting. For instance, there have been things posted in Off-Topic that humorously "mocked" Christianity. Some of these (predictably) sparked a very negative reaction from more than a few Christian VJers. Some of the items were subsequently removed. I can't think of anyone posting anything that "mocked" Judaism, but (judging from the screams of "anti-Semite" that automatically follow anything critical of the Israeli government) I think it would likely prompt a even stronger backlash. I don't think you were here for the heated debate over Mexico's Memin Peguin stamps last year, but again, it was the divide over what constitutes "offensive." Black people tended to find the images very offensive and racist, while many non-blacks defended them as innocently humorous. Massive fireworks until the thread was locked off.

Anyway, whoever took this photo obviously staged the scene with the intention of provoking or eliciting a certain response.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
My comment was in response to those who had wondered if the pic was "staged" or if it was "real."

Anyway, I understand that many folks might find such a pic funny, and that's certainly their right.

But you have to acknowledge that "funny" is an almost entirely subjective judgment, as is "offensive." Different people have different reactions to this type of humor -- as you can see from some of the reactions described in this thread.

Certainly, jokes have been made about every single religion or even ethnicity. But they are not always welcomed in every setting. For instance, there have been things posted in Off-Topic that humorously "mocked" Christianity. Some of these (predictably) sparked a very negative reaction from more than a few Christian VJers. Some of the items were subsequently removed. I can't think of anyone posting anything that "mocked" Judaism, but (judging from the screams of "anti-Semite" that automatically follow anything critical of the Israeli government) I think it would likely prompt a even stronger backlash. I don't think you were here for the heated debate over Mexico's Memin Peguin stamps last year, but again, it was the divide over what constitutes "offensive." Black people tended to find the images very offensive and racist, while many non-blacks defended them as innocently humorous. Massive fireworks until the thread was locked off.

Anyway, whoever took this photo obviously staged the scene with the intention of provoking or eliciting a certain response.

You're right, funny is very subjective.

My husband and I just took the photo more as a joke against men than one against Islam. I think *most* people do get a kick of pointing out how men have one-track minds. I don't think the picture would have really been funny if it were women praying in front of a men's underwear store, right?

Filed: Timeline
You're right, funny is very subjective.

My husband and I just took the photo more as a joke against men than one against Islam. I think *most* people do get a kick of pointing out how men have one-track minds. I don't think the picture would have really been funny if it were women praying in front of a men's underwear store, right?

Nope, women are not driven by underwear ads like men are . . . Who is the Victoria's Secret Model show for anyway?? I don't care to watch skinny boyish women parade around in their skivvies and I really don't care to see men do the same thing . . . only interested in one parading around in my house and that is enough for me!!!

Edited by cbd2cai

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Nope, women are not driven by underwear ads like men are . . . Who is the Victoria's Secret Model show for anyway??

:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.