Redicent

"Frontloading" Your I-129F/K-1 Petition. Opinions/experiences?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I didn't frontload the petition and when I last spoke with a tier 2 officer, I asked her about it and she said it isn't necessary. If you have quality basic information that they ask for you should be good.

I was just going to respond when Harpa just said it so well. Please don't confuse Front-loading with USCIS. Because true to them it isn't necessary. They don't read your text and IM's and emails to see if there is a bona fide relationship. But Oh that CO at embassy will read line by line maybe checkout your email, facebook, google you. So front-loading quality evidence is very key.

And as Ebunoluwa so very well stated (listen to her she knows about this very well) it is very embassy specific. You will read time and time again folks who basically had nothing but we meet 2 years ago and get approved at interview. Than you have others who sent in 5 years worth and 21 lbs of evidence with 5 visits and get denied.

So as someone stated study your counties forums read those interview reviews back and forth. When you walk into that embassy it should feel like you been there and know every CO if not by name by how they look.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I am very familiar with the concept but it depends case by case. If you met your fiance 6 months ago and are getting married now, you better give all the information in the world because they're going to be looking long and hard at your application.

I get my information from USCIS tier 2 officers and the IV department at the embassy I am applying at. I try not to rely on what people have written here via their experiences because it is always completely different.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Honestly I just submitted 10 photos copies of boarding passes. a couple extra photos of us on the plane before it took off photos with family. I submited my boarding passes and my visa stamp.

Approved without problems.

Josh

event.png

I am very familiar with the concept but it depends case by case. If you met your fiance 6 months ago and are getting married now, you better give all the information in the world because they're going to be looking long and hard at your application.

I get my information from USCIS tier 2 officers and the IV department at the embassy I am applying at. I try not to rely on what people have written here via their experiences because it is always completely different.

Then you understand that the advice given was to you specifically, for Italy. That same advice is not applicable to all consulates.

Then you also understand that Tier 2 officers are with USCIS, not the respective embassies. So they give advice to get an approved petition, which is the smallest part of the battle in seeking a visa.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks.

So far, we have 1 Frontloader approved at 193 days and 1 non-loader approved at 117 days.

Another non-loader from the topic that spawned this one was approved at 84 days.

Keep 'em coming, need more data...

It's simply unwise to base your views on frontloading on how fast they were approved. It can be amply proved that the wait for the visa has nothing to do with your file... it doesn't take DAYS to view the average file, just 15-20 minutes. See the interview by former USCIS adjudicator.

The wait for approval is caused by the volume of applications and the funding and organization of the particular USCIS office. Notice that your 2 non-loaders were from CSC.

(Talking about the average file, obviously if you have a ridiculously "front-loaded" file that is missing key info and gets an RFE, that makes your wait longer. Talking about the wait without RFE)

Edited by Heather&Ramy

We met when Heather travelled to Egypt to be an au pair!

Our K1 Visa Journey:

12/19/12- NOA1 -VSC

--- moved to "another office" 5/24/13

--- moved to "local office" 5/29/13

--- "is now being processed at a USCIS office" 5/30/13 ... what??

5/30/13- Transfer to TSC

6/18/13- NOA2

7/16/13- NVC Assigned Case #

7/29/13- Case Arrived at Embassy

7/31/13- Packet 3 Received (completed and sent back in 5 days)

1/16/14- Interview Assigned

1/21/14- Interview

2/03/14- Visa Issued!!

4/09/14- Entry into America (JFK)

4/23/14- MARRIED in local courthouse

4/29/14- AoS packet completed and mailed

5/02/14- NoA for AoS received

5/09/14- Biometrics Appointment Notice Received

6/04/14- Biometrics Appointment

7/30/14- EAD/AP Combo Card Received in Mail

Need help with your visa but don't want to pay expensive legal fees? Take an online course --> www.myvisaclassroom.com

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Im asking to find a general consensus or a trend, not for my own case. My case is happily on the way.

I want to know about VJ folks experience and factual knowledge about various embassies/consulates regarding frontloading. This is information which can help others.

As for mailing Jerusalem, that was response to a specific commenter who said embassies/consulates dont accept mail. His/her comment refered to "package". The Jerusalem consulate lists a mailing address in addition to a physical address. If you follow the link I provided, you will see that it is a post office box, for mail. Im asking about frontloading, not how many stamps to put on a letter.

Thanks for your input. Can you tell us whether you frontloaded? How many days between NOA1 and NOA2? Did you have RFEs?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That comment about you insinuating I thought you want to know how many stamps to put on a letter is condescending and uncalled for.

I stand by my comment that just because an embassy somewhere lists their contact info does not mean you can send in evidence. Period.

Your "IF YOU FOLLOWED" assumption is silly as I did follow everything and knew who you directed your comment at.

Don't cop an attitude with me and others trying to advice you. Am done here. Good luck on your journey.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

My fiance is Moroccan and was going through the Casablanca embassy. I did not front-load my I-129F petition initially. I provided all of the required documents, about 5 pics of us together, flight iteneraries, and a copy of my passport stamps. I received an RFE for my divorce decree. By the time I had received the RFE, I had read multiple times that the Casablanca embassy rarely looks at the evidence brought to interview and that they seem to have made a decision before the beneficiary is even questioned. So when I returned the divorce decree, I took the opportunity to front-loaded the petition. I simply stated on the cover letter "Please add the enclosed relationship evidence into my file"

In this way I was able to sneak in one or two photo collages (each containing 8-10 photos) of each of our trips together (even the trips we took after we filed the petition), along with boarding passes, hotel receipts and receipts of attractions we had visited accompanied by a photo of us at these attractions. I focused only on our face time. No emails, chats, skypes, cards, letters, or anything like that. My fiance complied all of those to bring along with him to the interview. When my fiance went to the interview, he watched the CO look through the file for about 20 minutes before calling him up. His interview lasted only 5 minutes, and the CO did not ask for any of the evidence he brought with him. I will never know if the additional front-loading helped sway the CO in our favor. But I know for sure that it didn't hurt our case.

For an I-129F, there is no opportunity to send additional evidence in at the NVC stage. I have been reading this website for about 9 months, and I have not yet seen of a case where someone mailed additional evidence to the Consulate prior to the interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I didn't frontload the petition and when I last spoke with a tier 2 officer, I asked her about it and she said it isn't necessary. If you have quality basic information that they ask for you should be good.

The information you get from the the USCIS immigration officer about the I-129F petition is only about what is required by the USCIS for the petition to be approved. Of course the extra documentation added for front-loading is not necessary for the I-129F to be approved. The purpose of front-loading is not to get your petition approved. It is so the documentation will be in your file and the CO at the consulate will have access to it. Its purpose is for the actual K-1 visa approval. The USCIS IO is not going to provide information about that aspect. Advising everyone that front-loading is not necessary because the USCIS IO said so is not helpful to those that indeed do need to provide the extras that will help get them approved at the DoS level.

When you receive information from your consulate, it is specific to your consulate only. All of them have different procedures and requirements, and not all of them are as easy to get an approval out of as perhaps the one you would interview at.

As with most things immigration-related, one size does not fit all.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

I am finding all the replies to be interesting and informative. And I thank all for those comments.

One consensus that is forming is the different consulates have diffierent rules about accepting additional information, before the interview. Some do, some dont.

One commentor pointed out the the embassy in Mongolia actually has a day set aside each week to do just that, with personel to help.

I personally found that the embassy in Manila has a process to send at least some updates before the interview. This knowledge would have helped at least a few VJers avoid AP, if they had sent in name changes and updated police clearance before their interviews.

Also, USCIS maintains offices in selected countries, for submission of a limited list of forms.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

[...] the extra documentation added for front-loading is not necessary for the I-129F to be approved. The purpose of front-loading is not to get your petition approved. It is so the documentation will be in your file and the CO at the consulate will have access to it. Its purpose is for the actual K-1 visa approval.

This is but the most recent of several outstanding answers. All that I can add is this: In general, the consul will have made up his mind in a "Refuse visa / Issue 221g / Grant visa" before the beneficiary walks in to the interview.

USCIS will not care about evidence of bona fide relationship, in the petition package, that goes beyond its own requirements. However, the consulate is not supposed to be able to deny the existence of material that it knows that USCIS has seen. Consulates have, of course, refused to accept evidence brought by the beneficiary to the interview and simultaneously claimed that there was insufficient evidence of a bona fide relationship.

Had I known in advance what I learned the hard way about the ####### Guayaquil consulate, I would have waited to file the I-129F petition until after my second visit to Mrs. T-B.-to-be, and front-loaded the holy hell out of the petition with the additional accumulated evidence.

The petitioner's presence on the consular premises (or just outside) will score points.

Two things have become clear to me during my time on VJ: (1) New members focus so hard on the initial petition (I-129F, in this discussion) that they fail to look ahead and consider the broader picture. (2) The broader picture is the consular phase, which is all-important and incredibly hard to straighten out if it's screwed up or if one gets hosed.

See some additional thoughts here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/410945-k-1-journey-completed/

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This is but the most recent of several outstanding answers. All that I can add is this: In general, the consul will have made up his mind in a "Refuse visa / Issue 221g / Grant visa" before the beneficiary walks in to the interview.

USCIS will not care about evidence of bona fide relationship, in the petition package, that goes beyond its own requirements. However, the consulate is not supposed to be able to deny the existence of material that it knows that USCIS has seen. Consulates have, of course, refused to accept evidence brought by the beneficiary to the interview and simultaneously claimed that there was insufficient evidence of a bona fide relationship.

Had I known in advance what I learned the hard way about the ####### Guayaquil consulate, I would have waited to file the I-129F petition until after my second visit to Mrs. T-B.-to-be, and front-loaded the holy hell out of the petition with the additional accumulated evidence.

The petitioner's presence on the consular premises (or just outside) will score points.

Two things have become clear to me during my time on VJ: (1) New members focus so hard on the initial petition (I-129F, in this discussion) that they fail to look ahead and consider the broader picture. (2) The broader picture is the consular phase, which is all-important and incredibly hard to straighten out if it's screwed up or if one gets hosed.

See some additional thoughts here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/410945-k-1-journey-completed/

Si, man. :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Frontloading helps! Before your interview the CO will review your I-129F packet sent by NVC. This along with all immigrant visa application forms is what the CO uses to determine eligiblity. If you want to paint the best picture of a bonefide relationship, frontloading is your best approach. Although it does not speed up the process, it does help clear up any questions about the authenticity of your relationship. It is suggested at time CO use what you sumbit prior to the interview as a partial basis for determining your visa eligibility. You don't have to go over board. I included about 5 pictures from previous visits before submitting I-129F, phone records, boarding passes, and photo copy of my passport. I used the guide here on VJ.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.