benjawin

Obtaining (Italian) Police Certificate from Abroad (Turkey)

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Dear Visa Journey Community,

I've read some posts related to this issue, but I still have some lingering questions... My Turkish fiancee needs to obtain an Italian police certificate (because she lived and studied there for a year and a half) in preparation for her K1 visa interview at the US embassy in Ankara -- but we're not quite sure how to do this.

Someone cranky at the Italian consulate in Istanbul said to do it online, but that doesn't even appear to be an option (as far as we can tell anyway). Going to Italy to get the the certificate in person is also basically out of the question, so it doing it by mail seems to be our best bet (consistent with VJ member postings).

Our plan (per US and Italian instructions online) is to send a written request (application attached), photocopies of my fiancees passport and permesso, fees (16.00 stamp + 7.08 processing = 23.08 euros), and a self-addressed stamped envelope to the Ufficio del Casellario Giudiziale della Procura della Repubblica in Rome.

My remaining questions are:

1) Do we have to state our reason for needing the police certificate in our written request (i.e. K1 visa application)? There's no space for it on the application form, but some sources suggest you need to give a reason...

2) Does 23.08 euros sound like the correct fee? (It seems to cover the official stamp on the certificate and expedited processing.) And what payment methods do the Italians accept -- money order, international check, etc?

3) How do we pay for the return postage from Italy when we're in Turkey? We can't put Turkish stamps on it, and we can't buy Italian stamps in Turkey -- right? And what size and weight of envelope do we pay for?

4) Finally, the US State Department says to send our request to the office in Rome, but my fiancee lived and studied in Milan while she was in Italy. Do we stick with Rome or send our request to the local office in Milan?

Big thanks as always for any help,

Ben

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~Duplicate posting removed~~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.