Brent and Vika

Where is everyone from in the states?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just curious as to where everyone in the RUB forums are from in the states. Vika is not here yet..sigh... but it would be nice for some of us that live close to each other to give our spouses a taste of home and language. I am from Baton Rouge, La and there doesn't seem to be a big population of RUB's here. So if you are up for sharing, post your hometown and state, or closest big city and maybe we can even plan some events if any of us are close enough. I know if I was in a foreign country, no matter how well I adjusted, a sense of home and language would be refreshing from time to time.

Timeline

I have an ex from Ukraine, but I live in San Antonio, There is a large Ukrainian despora in Houston, most work at NASA, LOL. I want to wish you the best if you need any ideas on settling your new wife write me I can will try to answer any questions you might have.

Filed: Other Country: Swaziland
Timeline

I live in Portland, but shortly after our marriage we are likely moving up to Seattle. It's a good area as I understand that the Pacific Northwest has the largest concentration of Russians and Eastern Europeans in the country.

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.

-Abraham Lincoln.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I live in Portland, but shortly after our marriage we are likely moving up to Seattle. It's a good area as I understand that the Pacific Northwest has the largest concentration of Russians and Eastern Europeans in the country.

My husband is from Seattle. :) But i like the Oregon coast too.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Just curious as to where everyone in the RUB forums are from in the states. Vika is not here yet..sigh... but it would be nice for some of us that live close to each other to give our spouses a taste of home and language. I am from Baton Rouge, La and there doesn't seem to be a big population of RUB's here. So if you are up for sharing, post your hometown and state, or closest big city and maybe we can even plan some events if any of us are close enough. I know if I was in a foreign country, no matter how well I adjusted, a sense of home and language would be refreshing from time to time.

I'm from Houston - can confirm a large RUB population here. I take Russian at the Russian Cultural Center here, Here are some links - http://www.ourtx.org/ for the cultural center, and http://www.ourtx.com/ is the link to the newspaper they put out.

I can only speak to the Russian side of it, but they are always doing events, concerts, and that sort of thing. There are also a few Russian stores here where RUB items can be purchased. Might be worth a day trip if there's nothing closer to you and she's looking for a taste of home.

31 May 2013 - Sent I-130 to Phoenix Lockbox

03 Jun 2013 - USPS shows package as received

06 Jun 2013 - Received text and email with receipt number

08 Jun 2013 - Received paper I-797C. Received and Priority date - June 3. Notice date - June 5.

17 Dec 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

04 Mar 2014 - I-130 approved

05 Mar 2014 - I-130 shipped to NVC/DOS

17 Mar 2014 - Received by NVC

16 Apr 2014 - Case number assigned

22 Apr 2014 - DS-261 available and completed

23 Apr 2014 - AOS invoice email received
25 Apr 2014 - AOS fee available and paid

26 Apr 2014 - AOS packet sent (delivered 28 Apr, NVC system received 30 Apr)

30 Apr 2014 - IV invoice email received; fee available and paid
01 May 2014 - IV packet sent (delivered 02 May, NVC system received 05 May)

02 May 2014 - DS-260 available and completed

20 May 2014 - received AOS checklist (left mail address blank on I-864EZ)

22 May 2014 - checklist response delivered

27 May 2014 - NVC system received checklist

27 May 2014 - false checklist received

26 Jun 2014 - NVC case complete

10 Jul 2014 - interview scheduled (per phone call)

14 Jul 2014 - receive interview notification email

06 Aug 2014 - interview (approved); visa issued

08 Aug 2014 - passport/visa delivered

30 Aug 2014 - point of entry

10 Sep 2014 - social security card delivered

29 Sep 2014 - green card delivered

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm from an incredible tiny town called Warren in Pennsylvania (we have Amish!), but Erie, PA - Pittsburgh, PA - Buffalo, NY are all within a 2-3 hour distance. My fiancee and I will call this place home for a few months then we are thinking of moving to Boston or Buffalo.

Edited by St&Sv

“Even the smallest act of caring for another person is like a drop of water -it will make ripples throughout the entire pond...”

― Jessy and Bryan Matteo

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

NYC. Sometimes I feel that half the city is RUB. Everywhere you go someone is speaking Russian.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Lockport, next to Joliet near Chicago. Plenty of local FSU folks to talk with and to get together with to have the ladies share a tea and talk and the kids to play.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm from an incredible tiny town called Warren in Pennsylvania (we have Amish!), but Erie, PA - Pittsburgh, PA - Buffalo, NY are all within a 2-3 hour distance. My fiancee and I will call this place home for a few months then we are thinking of moving to Boston or Buffalo.

There used to be a clothing outlet in Warren. Is it still there? I haven't been to Warren for a long time but I am not all that far away. Beaver Falls is where I am at exactly which isn't much bigger than Warren.

A choice of Buffalo or Boston seems a bit strange to me. Buffalo used to be almost a second home to me ages ago and I do like the place but comparing the two strikes me as close to saying I am going to take up a new profession and either plan to be a taxi driver or a brain surgeon. Buffalo being the taxi driver. Both are a little snowy for my tastes but Boston seems like it could be a cool place to live. If I ever decide to move I would want it to be a little further south than I am right now.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline

NYC. Sometimes I feel that half the city is RUB. Everywhere you go someone is speaking Russian.

Vika is going to be flying into New York and we will spend a long weekend there (my first visit as well) before coming home. We have a few things planned, including Ellis Island where my great grandparents came through when they came to the states from Ireland. No piles of paperwork for them though I'm sure! Figured it would be fitting place to visit considering the circumstances)). Any other recommendations outside the normal tourist places that we should visit?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Vika is going to be flying into New York and we will spend a long weekend there (my first visit as well) before coming home. We have a few things planned, including Ellis Island where my great grandparents came through when they came to the states from Ireland. No piles of paperwork for them though I'm sure! Figured it would be fitting place to visit considering the circumstances)). Any other recommendations outside the normal tourist places that we should visit?

If you are going to go up to an observation deck, I would recommend the Top of the Rock (in Rockefeller Center) as opposed to the Empire State Building. Yes, it's a little lower, but there are numerous advantages: 1. No 3 hour lines! 2. A much more interesting elevator ride up. 3. Great views of Central Park if you go there while it's still light. 4. You can actually see the Empire State Building from there. 5. The area around it is much nicer and more interesting (the entire Rockefeller Center complex is pretty nice).

There's a pretty interesting way to see the entire NYC. Go to the Queens Museum of Art (in Flushing Meadows Corona Park). They have a scale model of the entire NYC with every single building, road, etc replicated. This was last updated in the 90s, so it's not completely up to date. Keep in mind though that it's a bit far off from the regular touristy areas.

EDIT: looks like they're closed until October though.

If she's feeling homesick, take her to Brighton Beach in Brooklyn. Russian restaurants, entertainment, stores, etc!

BTW, Ellis Island is currently closed due to damage from last year's Hurricane Sandy. They did reopen the Statue of Liberty on July 4 though. For updates on this go to http://www.nps.gov/stli/index.htm to make sure before you try going there.

If you don't care about actually getting off at the Statue of Liberty (after paying and waiting in a huge line), you can get pretty much the same views by just going on the free Staten Island ferry that runs every 30 minutes between Manhattan and Staten Island. Just go to Staten Island and take the same ferry back!

Edited by vbtwo

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Suburb of St. Louis. I was surprised to find out how many RUBSs lived here....

Edited by Tanya and Barry

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.