akw_12

Mariage between a dual citizenship (French/American) and a French in France

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My fiancée and I are getting married soon in France (within 3 months) then we will apply for visa CR1 (ex k3). We both live in France and we want to move to the US next year.

To get married in France we will not have any problem ; she has a French passport so we will get all the document in French (certificat of birth).

My question is : will we have any problem when we will apply for a visa cr1 for me to go to the US ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Yep, that's totally fine. You probably want to follow this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

As you are both abroad, you may have to look closely at the requirements for the I-864 Affidavit of Support, as the financial sponsor (usually the USC petitioner) needs to have US domicile (and income that will continue in the US, or assets/savings) - so if you don't have that, you'll need to make moves to establish domicile ahead of time, or find a joint sponsor. There's more info on this here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to see that thread.

My GF/futur wife (within 2 months), need to renew her US passeport (valid until june 2014). We will soon aply for a IR1-CR1 visa (within 3months). We are living in Paris and will move once I get my visa.

Which adress she needs to put on her new passeport ? US or French one ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

related topics merged

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Once you are married in France, you probably want to get your marriage "converted" in a US Marriage. I am not quite sure how it works, but when you're french and you get married abroad, you have to "transcript" your marriage

When I got married in the US, I did everything according to the US law. Then for the marriage to be registered in France, I sent a bunch of papers (certified copy of marriage certificate, birth certificates etc) to the consulate and asked for the "transcription de l'acte de de mariage dans les registres de l'Etat civil" (basically, I asked that they wrote down in their big book of who is related to whom that I was know married to my husband, and that they sent me the (french) official papers to prove it).

They sent me back the french marriage certificate (copie de l'acte de marriage) and a livret de famille (typical french official document that you get when your married)

I am not quite sure they do this in the US, but you might wanna double check and call the consulate or the embassy to ask. Even if you don't need it for the CR1 (I have no clue), that can make your life more simple in the future if they do give you an official US document to prove your marriage.

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Timeline

Hi everyone,

My GF/futur wife (within 2 months), need to renew her US passeport (valid until june 2014). We will soon aply for a IR1-CR1 visa (within 3months). We are living in Paris and will move once I get my visa.

Maybe she shouldn't renew her passport that much in advance. I don't think it matters at all anyway, you are not expected to change your passport each time you change your address. It won't matter for her when she enters the US, it won't matter for your visa (please someone tell me if I am wrong. But I really don't see every USC filing CR1 having to change their passport to have a US address on it before starting the CR1 process)

I am the benifeciary

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

There is no address "on" the passport.

It doesn't matter.

She will renew it and send it to wherever she is so she can receive it.

I suggest she renew it AFTER your marriage so that she can change her name to yours (if she intends to).

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Once you are married in France, you probably want to get your marriage "converted" in a US Marriage. I am not quite sure how it works, but when you're french and you get married abroad, you have to "transcript" your marriage

When I got married in the US, I did everything according to the US law. Then for the marriage to be registered in France, I sent a bunch of papers (certified copy of marriage certificate, birth certificates etc) to the consulate and asked for the "transcription de l'acte de de mariage dans les registres de l'Etat civil" (basically, I asked that they wrote down in their big book of who is related to whom that I was know married to my husband, and that they sent me the (french) official papers to prove it).

They sent me back the french marriage certificate (copie de l'acte de marriage) and a livret de famille (typical french official document that you get when your married)

I am not quite sure they do this in the US, but you might wanna double check and call the consulate or the embassy to ask. Even if you don't need it for the CR1 (I have no clue), that can make your life more simple in the future if they do give you an official US document to prove your marriage.

There is no need to "convert" anything.

The marriage is legal and binding.

Certificates can apparently be obtained by doing the following:

Couples married in France receive a "livret de famille." This is a booklet which serves as an official record of marriage and subsequent events in the family such as births, deaths, divorce or name changes. A marriage certificate can be obtained by writing to the "mairie" where the marriage took place

oldlady.gif

Timeline

There is no need to "convert" anything.

The marriage is legal and binding.

Certificates can apparently be obtained by doing the following:

It is binding, but if you don"t notify the France that you are married, they don't know about it... It is also a matter of making the marriage officially recognized by France (for the marriage to be legal in France you must be at least 16, and being single, divorced or widow. Even though US marriage follow these rules, not every other country does, so there could be some marriage that the France refuses to recognize.)

But I agree, it is not a conversion (the contract is and stay the one you signed in the country you signed it. )

You actually 'transcript' it: it just means that France put in the Etat Civil (it lists date and places of birth, death, marriage of french people, as well as their full names and their parents names) that you are married, and as a result, send you the livret de famille. Then, if you need a new "extrait d'acte de mariage" (marriage certificate) you can do so as easily as someone who got married in France, because your marriage is registered in France. If you ever want to have tax benefit from your marriage, it probably need to be be written in the Etat Civil that you are married too.

But the point of my post was, does such a thing exists in the US? if yes, maybe it is a good idea to look into it (the OP gets married in France, I was just telling him the transcription on the Etat-Civil so he would understand and be able to find out if such a thing exists in the US too)

I am the benifeciary

event.png

Timeline

It is binding, but if you don"t notify the France that you are married, they don't know about it... It is also a matter of making the marriage officially recognized by France (for the marriage to be legal in France you must be at least 16, and being single, divorced or widow. Even though US marriage follow these rules, not every other country does, so there could be some marriage that the France refuses to recognize.)

But I agree, it is not a conversion (the contract is and stay the one you signed in the country you signed it. )

You actually 'transcript' it: it just means that France put in the Etat Civil (it lists date and places of birth, death, marriage of french people, as well as their full names and their parents names) that you are married, and as a result, send you the livret de famille. Then, if you need a new "extrait d'acte de mariage" (marriage certificate) you can do so as easily as someone who got married in France, because your marriage is registered in France. If you ever want to have tax benefit from your marriage, it probably need to be be written in the Etat Civil that you are married too.

But the point of my post was, does such a thing exists in the US? if yes, maybe it is a good idea to look into it (the OP gets married in France, I was just telling him the transcription on the Etat-Civil so he would understand and be able to find out if such a thing exists in the US too)

But my point was that no, they don't have to do anything in the US.

I was simply providing the reference to getting the French Certificate if that's what is needed for the immigration process.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

But my point was that no, they don't have to do anything in the US.

I was simply providing the reference to getting the French Certificate if that's what is needed for the immigration process.

Oh ok, well then, we are such an administrative country I guess

I am the benifeciary

event.png

Timeline

You simply choose 'married' on anything and everything you can at that point. lol.

Including taxes, insurance, etc etc.

nice and easy :)

I am the benifeciary

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.