Audra

I-134 vs. I-864

6 posts in this topic

I finally got news that our I-129F was approved today (yay!), so I was re-checking the information needed at the next stage of the process. As I was going through the consulate requirements (France), and through the State Department information, I noticed that the State Department information says that we should not be using I-134 information, because that is only a USCIS document. Here is what is says exactly:

Important Note: The NVC cannot accept Form I-134 for immigrant visa processing. The NVC only accepts the appropriate I-864 form(s) listed above.

If you are looking for all other forms that begin with "I" (such as I-130, I-539, etc), these forms come from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the Department of Homeland Security. You may download them from the USCIS forms page

Here is a link to that page. http://travel.state.gov/visa/forms/forms_1342.html

Since we will be at the State Department level now, which is the right support form, and why?

Also, I am self-employed. I have already given my 2012 tax returns to my fiancé, but I've seen several folks here say to use 3 years of tax returns. The I-134 only says one year. Do I really need 3 years of returns? I have them, but that's a lot of paper to send over.

Thanks everyone!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

the 134 is for the interview

the 864 is for adjustment of status and will be used after your marriage and concurrent filing with uscis

think of the 134 as a commitment and the 864 as the contract for the commitment

for your tax returns.. use transcripts.. they are free and delivered within 10 days.. copies are fine so you can email them to your fiancée

you don't NEED 3 years, it just helps the interviewer make an educated decision based on historical earnings

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

I-134 is for K1. That information you're reading is for immigrant visas. The K1 is non-immigrant.

You'll do the I-864 at AoS when you are filing to become an immigrant.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You will not send anything to the NVC for a K-1. You will need the I-134 for the K-1 interview. You can get free tax return transcripts from the IRS and cut down on the amount of pages and they still include all the information from your returns> http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

You will not send anything to the NVC for a K-1. You will need the I-134 for the K-1 interview. You can get free tax return transcripts from the IRS and cut down on the amount of pages and they still include all the information from your returns> http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript

Exactly.

The rest of the process goes as this (in France, so this is relevant to the OP but not to everyone who might read this topic):

• The foreign fiancé will get packet 3 from the Embassy (takes about a month between NOA2 and packet 3 for France usually). Packet 3 states every thing that needs to be gathered. Once everything is gathered, the foreign fiancé will send the "readiness" form back to the embassy. Best is to gather everything before receiving packet 3 so foreign fiancé can send back the readiness form immediately. You can check this to know what to gather: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=France&cty=Paris
  • Then the foreign fiancé will receive packet 4 with a date for the interview. Usually, the interview takes place a month after the readiness for is sent back, but it always take a bit longer in the summer. Foreign fiancé has to take an appointment with one of the 2 doctors for medical.
  • Foreign fiancé will go to the Embassy for the interview with everything that is requested.
  • If every thing goes well and there is no AP, foreign fiancé will receive the visa in 10 days.

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.