jessndave

need help...I-134 affidavit of support and foreign earned income

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

I am currently working on my affidavit of support and am doing back taxes as part of the process. I lived in Scotland for four years and was earning there for 2011 and 2012. I am now back in the states and working. When I use the foreign income exclusion on my 1040, it makes my total income on my tax return look like $0, when in fact I did earn. So I am wondering if immigration will still consider my foreign income or if I should suck it up and not take the exclusion and face a large tax bill. Also, I thought it may look better if I didn't claim foreign income so as to appear more domiciled in the USA. I am really having to scramble to barely make the %125 poverty line so I really need this to be as convincing as possible especially since I don't have any family members I could ask to co-sponsor.

thank you anyone who can help!!

jessica

What you earned in the UK doesn't count unless you have proof you will continue that same job in the US. Do you have a job in the US now? That is pretty essential if you have no joint sponsor to call on for help.

Tax return. No need to skip the income exclusion to impress the embassy with a job that is ending. They will approve a K1 without a tax return if you have a current US job and can prove your salary with an employer letter and most recent pay stubs. Later for the adjustment of status, they do require a tax return if you were required to file. Generally that would be earning over the equivalent of about $9000 a year, even if it was abroad. You probably don't owe any taxes, but needed to file. Getting your tax returns done now is preparing for the adjustment of status affidavit of support. You can still be approved with proof of a current job, so even if you tax return shows zero, prove current US income as mentioned before and submit the tax return because it is a requirement for the I-864.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.