aralnaej24

Last name of the petitioner was misspelled on the divorce paper

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm posting this for the second time hoping I'd get more help. I don't know if there are others who experienced this as well. My fiance's divorce paper needs a correction. His last name was misspelled or say one letter is missing. The court said they can't change the name without the presence of his ex-wife. The problem is, he hasn't seen his ex-wife for 5 years already and he doesn't know where to find her at all. No contact numbers, or addresses to look for. He doesn't even know if she's already married and changed her last name as well. Is there any other options on how to solve our problem? The divorce took place in Massachusetts. We're applying for a K1-Visa and we are worried we might get a RFE because of this. I'm not sure if misspelling is a big issue to USCIS. Can this affect our application?

Timeline

my fiance's first name was misspelled on his first divorce decree paper (a 1 page divorce paper)... we didn't get an rfe. though it's only a 1 letter that was misspelled. instead of "e" it is "i" on the paper..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm posting this for the second time hoping I'd get more help. I don't know if there are others who experienced this as well. My fiance's divorce paper needs a correction. His last name was misspelled or say one letter is missing. The court said they can't change the name without the presence of his ex-wife. The problem is, he hasn't seen his ex-wife for 5 years already and he doesn't know where to find her at all. No contact numbers, or addresses to look for. He doesn't even know if she's already married and changed her last name as well. Is there any other options on how to solve our problem? The divorce took place in Massachusetts. We're applying for a K1-Visa and we are worried we might get a RFE because of this. I'm not sure if misspelling is a big issue to USCIS. Can this affect our application?

Is it wrong everywhere on the decree? (as in the caption as well as the spot for signing) Is it also wrong on the petition and court record? Most likely it's a typo that no-one will notice or care about. If USCIS does ask about it you can show the other paperwork (petition etc showing the same caption and case number) to show its a typo.

Timeline

it's only a one page divorce decree.. only stated my fiance's name once and that's where the misspelling is. There's no spot for signing, just the register's. Divorce took place in MA and that's how they do divorce decree.. As to the petition and court record, his name is spelled correctly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

it's only a one page divorce decree.. only stated my fiance's name once and that's where the misspelling is. There's no spot for signing, just the register's. Divorce took place in MA and that's how they do divorce decree.. As to the petition and court record, his name is spelled correctly.

Good. There should be not issue taking the other court records and showing the registrar THEY made a typo. The ex should not be needed for that... after all, why would she be needed if her signature isn't needed on the document itself?

If you have the time, I'd get it fixed. Speak to a supervisor. If you don't have the time, you should be fine... but I would get it fixed in the interest of everything being right (in case it's ever needed for any reason again).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.