Maple79

Flying cat from UK to USA

56 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am probably posting this in the wrong place.. but I am curious if anyone knows why you can no longer fly a cat from the UK to the US in the cabin of an airline?.. (there are a few that offer this service such as Lufthansa, United, KLM and Airfrance) We booked flights on KLM only to be emailed a couple of days later to say they could no longer take the cat.. we have spent all afternoon on the phone calling several airlines and even re-booking with United only after the transaction to be told that yet again they actually can't take the cat! Every airline that offers this service eventually came to the same conclusion.. that it is a UK issue and must be new as not one airline knew this until the very end of the booking process. Can anyone enlighten me!?

h951p1.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from the Off Topic forum to the UK Regional forum as a more likely venue for the OP to find answers to her questions.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If everyone is saying no - would it make sense to get the cat into Ireland or France , handle the vet stuff and docs there, then fly from there?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Heya,

I am in the same boat as you: you are correct, if you are flying out of the UK you can no longer take your pet in the cabin.

You can, however, book your cat into the cargo hold where you will be charged the standard Cargo rate (volume rather than weight) - this charge differs with each airline but is around 300 - 400 pounds per cat.

I just booked my cat onto my virgin atlantic flight, she flies in the Cargo hold and I paid 320 pounds for a slightly larger kennel.

I hope that helps!

When I flew from Boston to Scotland via Amsterdam on KLM the man beside me had a cat in a carrier under his seat.

I am very glad they changed the policy. No one should be subjected to 6 hours of a screetching cat just because the

owner didnt want to pay to ship the kitty in cargo. I would guess the change was made after numerous paying passengers

complained to the airlines. Maybe your cat would be well behaved but the one on my flight was just a nightmare. The guy

kept taking it into the toilet with him. I wasnt sure if he was taking it out of the carrier or if he was worried the other passengers

might silence it while he was gone.sleepy.gif

Timeline

Thanks for the replies all... she will be going Virgin cargo. Everyone of course is entitled to their opinion, and it isn't so much the money difference between cabin and cargo but the fact I want my cat with me not is some dark hold, scared and with a chance of dogs or other animals being with her. She is not a 'screechy' cat, quite the opposite but is prone to coming down with colds when she gets too stressed which is a constant worry and of course I would love to minimise her stress by being with her. As for your experience Davidsgirl, could the same not be said for no one should have to put up with 6 hours of a screaming baby? My last flight back I was sat behind two babies who did just that... I do of course realise that you cannot put a baby in the hold. lol

h951p1.png

Timeline

Heya,

I am in the same boat as you: you are correct, if you are flying out of the UK you can no longer take your pet in the cabin.

You can, however, book your cat into the cargo hold where you will be charged the standard Cargo rate (volume rather than weight) - this charge differs with each airline but is around 300 - 400 pounds per cat.

I just booked my cat onto my virgin atlantic flight, she flies in the Cargo hold and I paid 320 pounds for a slightly larger kennel.

I hope that helps!

What size kennel did you go with? My cat is a Maine ####### so she is a little bigger than most cats.

h951p1.png

Timeline

If everyone is saying no - would it make sense to get the cat into Ireland or France , handle the vet stuff and docs there, then fly from there?

Thanks, we did think of that but were immediately put in our place by the simple fact that we are flying in August at the height of the school holidays. All the trains were fully booked to France and the ferries much the same. Just bad timing I guess.

h951p1.png

When I flew from Boston to Scotland via Amsterdam on KLM the man beside me had a cat in a carrier under his seat.

I am very glad they changed the policy. No one should be subjected to 6 hours of a screetching cat just because the

owner didnt want to pay to ship the kitty in cargo. I would guess the change was made after numerous paying passengers

complained to the airlines. Maybe your cat would be well behaved but the one on my flight was just a nightmare. The guy

kept taking it into the toilet with him. I wasnt sure if he was taking it out of the carrier or if he was worried the other passengers

might silence it while he was gone.sleepy.gif

I actually wonder if it's not allergy related (rather than noise - they let screaming babies on, afterall :P). A cat in a plane cabin would have my husband in hives.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

That was my initial thought, that it could be allergy related.. but surely these days that ruling would have to be an EU one and therefor not just limited to the UK? Whatever the reason there is one now so cargo it is! And Virgin are way better than BA for anyone wanting to know..British Airways will only deal with your pet through an agent, I had a few quotes of between £800-£1000!!

h951p1.png

but is prone to coming down with colds when she gets too stressed which is a constant worry and of course I would love to minimise her stress by being with her.

The upper respiratory symptoms exacerbated by stress is feline herpes. If you don't know already, L-Lysine for felines is supposed to help. Two doses a day when symptomatic and one dose a day for maintenance. You probably already know this, but thought I would throw it out. If you haven't tried L-Lysine, you might want to start dosing kitty now.

Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Naturals-Vermont-L-Lysine-Chews/dp/B006OCG4JY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373381793&sr=8-1&keywords=l-lysine+for+cats

Or this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lysine-Aid-Cat-Gel-50ml/dp/B005AIP796/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1373381793&sr=8-5&keywords=l-lysine+for+cats

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

The upper respiratory symptoms exacerbated by stress is feline herpes. If you don't know already, L-Lysine for felines is supposed to help. Two doses a day when symptomatic and one dose a day for maintenance. You probably already know this, but thought I would throw it out. If you haven't tried L-Lysine, you might want to start dosing kitty now.

Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Naturals-Vermont-L-Lysine-Chews/dp/B006OCG4JY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373381793&sr=8-1&keywords=l-lysine+for+cats

Or this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lysine-Aid-Cat-Gel-50ml/dp/B005AIP796/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1373381793&sr=8-5&keywords=l-lysine+for+cats

Yes it is feline Herpes, the vet did mention Lysine when I took her for her rabies shot a couple of weeks ago! Thank you very much for the links, I have bought some from amazon and will give it a go. luv.gif

h951p1.png

Yes it is feline Herpes, the vet did mention Lysine when I took her for her rabies shot a couple of weeks ago! Thank you very much for the links, I have bought some from amazon and will give it a go. luv.gif

Having gone through $700 and 3 sick cats last month, I am using it. The first one got very sick and her fever was rising so quickly, it scared the vet. The big bill was hers. Then the other older ones, who had never been sick a day, started sneezing and acting sickly. Two antibiotics later and lysine, the one who wouldn't eat the lysine treats was still actly sickly with watery eyes. I started chopping the treats and mixing with wet food twice a day and she perked up in two days. Could be a coincidence but it seemed to help.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Wait what?

Lufhansa wont let you have a cat in the cabin now? I was going to get my parents to fly with her when they come over for my wedding, but is this really true?

I also got a quote for £320 from VA but obviously i was gonna go with lufthansa as they are 10 x cheaper.

Can I ask exactly what cat carrier you guys bought for Virgin?

And also my vet is insisting that my cat needs a rabies shot where as my own research says otherwise?

I have her kitten vaccination jab history and shes getting fixed next month, but does she need other jabs?

I understand she'll need a vetinary check up just before she goes a "fit to fly" or what not, but i dont really trust my money-swindling vet lol

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Aren't the animal import rules state dependant anyway ? I need to revise those myself.

I see you finally got your NOA2 - congrats !

Richard

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.