benandnordhey

Fiancee is Tibetan refugee in India...and I'm a student..worried

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

So, I've heard the Delhi embassy is one off the toughest. I've seen so many legit couples denied on this site, mostly because the CO thought they were already married (which seems a ridiculous accusation) or because the C O simply seems to be culturally judgmental or in a bad mood on the day of the interview. Needles to say, I' nervous as hell about this.

I' am a PhD student and met my fiancee in june of 2011 while doing dissertation research here in India. She is a refugee, so has no citizenship. Does anyone had any experience with this kind of thing or have any ideas on what we might face. I know India is a high fraud country, so this makes me nervous...but we are 100% legit and madly in love. Is Is the Delhi embassy as tough as they say, that they would refuse to see a real relationship?

I arrived in Delhi 2 weeks age and am planning on staying here until her visa comes through. I'm hoping to attend the interview with her. Will this help? Will they question me or let me talk. She is more than capable of handling herself, but I have read so much on this site the past few days that has gotten me seriously worried that it all comes down the the whims and mood of one CO.

As I said I am a grad student in the last year of my PhD. I've taught 3 semesters now, but am just below the poverty line. My mother is helping me cosponsor, but I've heard Delhi often doesn't accept the I-134 because it isn't legally binding. some have suggested filling out the I-184 (think that's the number) because it is legally binding and bring both. In short, being a student and her being a refugee, i feel a lot of stress and worry. Any advice would be helpful.

I've also heard a lot of people being chastised on here for calling each other pet names such as my husband or my wife. I realize now that this isn't the best idea, but they ARE JUST PET NAMES. I don't mention this so I can be barraged with insults or chastisements as other OPs have been. I'm asking this because We've already done it and maybe turned in some emails etc that include it. What I would like to know is what are some of the ways we can explain and convince the Indian COs at the delhi embassy, that these are indeed just pet names and that we are both single and free to be married. Is there a document of no marriage in India.

thanks for taking the time to read and respond. I can't wait to take my fiancé home to Indian and marry her and welcome her into my family...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

CO's have broad discretion when adjudicating a visa case. If they come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that you are married, then the K1 will be denied and you will be told to pursue a spousal visa. No amount of explanation you try to give will change their minds.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 10 months later...

Hi, I hope you are now married to your Tibetan fiancee.

My fiancee is Tibetan too and our I-129 got approved a few weeks back. I am sending her my I-134, affidavit of support and other supporting documents.

Please share your experience in detail. Is there anything we need to know? How was the visa interview? Also, did being stateless/refugee slow the process, hinder it, and how did you overcome it?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hope this helps

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/IN.html

See section on "stateless persons"

"The Government of India issues an Identity Certificate or IC to many members of the Tibetan community living in India. The ICs are issued by the Regional Passport Office in New Delhi, which is the sole authorizing entity in all of India for this travel document. The IC is a valid travel document in which to place a U.S. visa and is valid for 10 years. ICs may also be issued to other stateless individuals in India. Older ICs were paper booklets with a pasted photograph; the latest version (produced since 2007) is yellow in color and bears a digital photo."

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.