IntoTheLight

Is the Hep B Vaccine Required?

6 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I'm having a few problems with the vaccinations portion of the process. I don't have my records and spoke to my personal doctor today. He seemed unsure with what would be required, so I decided to look it up online. This is the link I found listing the vaccinations: http://www.panelphysicians.com/Pages/Age6.htm

It says Heb B is required for 18 and under. Does that mean that, since I am 25, I don't need to worry about it? I haven't had any vaccines since I was 10, so I need a lot already. He was hoping that it wouldn't be needed in addition.

Also, does anyone have any ideas how to handle an allergy? I never got my full tetanus/Diphtheria shot as a baby (nor any boosters since) because of an allergic reaction, but have no medical proof of that. My doctor is reluctant to sign a note of exemption because he was not my doctor when I had the reaction, and only has my word to go on. I am worried that I will still have to take it and risk a bad reaction again.

Just to clarify, the list of vaccines that I will need is:

- Tetanus/Diphtheria

- MMR (Measles, Mumps)

- Chickenpox

- Influenza

Is this all?

~ I am the Beneficiary ~

K1 Visa/Relationship Timeline:

Jan 3, 2012 - Met in a random Google+ hangout

May 23 - May 27, 2012 - Met in person for the first time

Nov 30 - Dec 10, 2012 - Second visit, my first trip to the US!

Apr 13 - Apr 30, 2013 - Third visit and now officially engaged

May 1st, 2013 - I-129F package sent

May 7th, 2013 - NOA1 email notice received

May 13th, 2013 - Hardcopy NOA1 received

Jun 29 - Jul 7, 2013 - Visited me in Canada for my birthday

Aug 1st, 2013 - NOA2! (Email & Text)

Dec 11th, 2013 - Interview in Montreal: APPROVED!

Dec 18th, 2013 - CEAC status changed from AP to Issued

Dec 12nd, 2013 - Email from Loomis that Visa was picked up at consulate

Dec 27th, 2013 - Visa in hand!

Dec 29th, 2013 - POE together <3

Jan 3rd, 2014 - Married!

K1 Visa total time: 241 days from mailing i-129F to visa in hand.

AOS Timeline:

Apr 26th, 2014 - I-485 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox, including EAD and AP applications

May 1st, 2014 - NOA1 received for I-485, EAD, and AP

May 27th, 2014 - Biometrics appointment

Aug 12th, 2014 - Interview & Approval

AOS total time: 109 days from mailing I-485 to approval.

ROC Timeline:

May 24th, 2016 - I-751 Package sent to CSC

May 26th, 2016 - NOA1 receipt date

June 3rd, 2016 - NOA1 received in mail

July 28th, 2016 - Biometrics letter received, appointment for Aug 12th

July 29th, 2016 - Biometrics completed after walking-in early

event.png

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Here is the link to the government/USCIS requirements:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3384cc5222ff5210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=6abe6d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

Under the immigration laws of the United States, a foreign national who applies for an immigrant visa abroad, or who seeks to adjust status to a permanent resident while in the United States, is required to receive vaccinations to prevent the following diseases:

• Mumps
  • Measles
  • Rubella
  • Polio
  • Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoids
  • Pertussis
  • Haemophilus influenzae type B
  • Hepatitis B
  • Any other vaccine-preventable diseases recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices

My husband wasn't too thrilled to get them all either - but many are combined... like the measles/mumps/rubella for example.

Hopefully that helps a bit. Best of luck with the rest of your process! smile.png

Edited by MedRoni

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey Everyone,

I'm having a few problems with the vaccinations portion of the process. I don't have my records and spoke to my personal doctor today. He seemed unsure with what would be required, so I decided to look it up online. This is the link I found listing the vaccinations: http://www.panelphysicians.com/Pages/Age6.htm

It says Heb B is required for 18 and under. Does that mean that, since I am 25, I don't need to worry about it? I haven't had any vaccines since I was 10, so I need a lot already. He was hoping that it wouldn't be needed in addition.

Also, does anyone have any ideas how to handle an allergy? I never got my full tetanus/Diphtheria shot as a baby (nor any boosters since) because of an allergic reaction, but have no medical proof of that. My doctor is reluctant to sign a note of exemption because he was not my doctor when I had the reaction, and only has my word to go on. I am worried that I will still have to take it and risk a bad reaction again.

Just to clarify, the list of vaccines that I will need is:

- Tetanus/Diphtheria

- MMR (Measles, Mumps)

- Chickenpox

- Influenza

Is this all?

Yes, that is all. You do not need the flu shot though. That is only required during flu season, Oct. - Mar. If you had chickenpox, then no need for the varicella either. So, MMR, Tdap or Td and varicella if you never had the chickenpox.

http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/vaccination-civil-technical-instructions.html#tbl1

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The rules are country specific also, most developed nations don't require things like the Hep shots. You can also get a waiver for a lot of the shots if you come from a country that doesn't have high levels of the particular virus.

AOS+EAD Sent 8-9-13

AOS+EAD Received 8-13-13

EAD NOA1 8-13-13

AOS NOA1 8-15-13

AOS+EAD Biometrics 9-17-2013, Walk-In 8-29-2013

EAD Approved 10-15-13

AOS Interview 12-18-13

E-REQUEST 2-3-14

INFOPASS Appointment 2-12-14

AOS Approved 2-24-2014

You don't need to worry about Hep B in Canada. I brought proof that I had it at to my medical but they simply marked it off as not age appropriate.

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thanks so much, everyone! Appreciate the help. I'll let my dr know tomorrow. Hoping it can all be done this week. :)

~ I am the Beneficiary ~

K1 Visa/Relationship Timeline:

Jan 3, 2012 - Met in a random Google+ hangout

May 23 - May 27, 2012 - Met in person for the first time

Nov 30 - Dec 10, 2012 - Second visit, my first trip to the US!

Apr 13 - Apr 30, 2013 - Third visit and now officially engaged

May 1st, 2013 - I-129F package sent

May 7th, 2013 - NOA1 email notice received

May 13th, 2013 - Hardcopy NOA1 received

Jun 29 - Jul 7, 2013 - Visited me in Canada for my birthday

Aug 1st, 2013 - NOA2! (Email & Text)

Dec 11th, 2013 - Interview in Montreal: APPROVED!

Dec 18th, 2013 - CEAC status changed from AP to Issued

Dec 12nd, 2013 - Email from Loomis that Visa was picked up at consulate

Dec 27th, 2013 - Visa in hand!

Dec 29th, 2013 - POE together <3

Jan 3rd, 2014 - Married!

K1 Visa total time: 241 days from mailing i-129F to visa in hand.

AOS Timeline:

Apr 26th, 2014 - I-485 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox, including EAD and AP applications

May 1st, 2014 - NOA1 received for I-485, EAD, and AP

May 27th, 2014 - Biometrics appointment

Aug 12th, 2014 - Interview & Approval

AOS total time: 109 days from mailing I-485 to approval.

ROC Timeline:

May 24th, 2016 - I-751 Package sent to CSC

May 26th, 2016 - NOA1 receipt date

June 3rd, 2016 - NOA1 received in mail

July 28th, 2016 - Biometrics letter received, appointment for Aug 12th

July 29th, 2016 - Biometrics completed after walking-in early

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.