M_&_T

I don't know what to put, HELP :)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everybody!

My fiance and I are gonna filed the I-129F petition and our love story is sort like this: we met while I was in USA with a J1 visa, he was married, I was working for them, we were really close friends and after a couple of months we started a "relationship" for 9 months while he was still married. After a year in the states, I returned to my home country and I thought everything will end up there, but since the day I got back we have talked pretty much everyday for almost 2 years and we saw each other in December 2012 while he was still married, and we are planing to see each other again in September 2013 (2 times) and other one in November 2013.

Now he's divorced and we wanna start a life together. But well, the point is: we don't know what to put in the question 18 "describe the circumstances under which you met.", the USCIS will care about the fact we had something and we saw each other in December while he was married? or that I met him while he's married?

Thanks in advance for the replies

They literally just want to know when you met and started your relationship (and putting in which country and on what visa would do no harm). They don't give much interest to the actual circumstances (who liked who first, who was married, any of that). You can just put "We met in X country on Y date, while Z was visiting Some Place on VWP" or whatever it was.

It's not much of a story, just a statement of fact. The size of the box and the wording of the question should give you an indication of the level of detail to go into.

The purpose is just so they understand what the circumstances looked like - was it arranged? was it via a matchmaking website? that sort of thing. Meeting someone who is married is not unusual.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Hello everybody!
My fiance and I are gonna filed the I-129F petition and our love story is sort like this: we met while I was in USA with a J1 visa, he was married, I was working for them, we were really close friends and after a couple of months we started a "relationship" for 9 months while he was still married. After a year in the states, I returned to my home country and I thought everything will end up there, but since the day I got back we have talked pretty much everyday for almost 2 years and we saw each other in December 2012 while he was still married, and we are planing to see each other again in September 2013 (2 times) and other one in November 2013.
Now he's divorced and we wanna start a life together. But well, the point is: we don't know what to put in the question 18 "describe the circumstances under which you met.", the USCIS will care about the fact we had something and we saw each other in December while he was married? or that I met him while he's married?
Thanks in advance for the replies

That won't be a problem because the USCIS don't make moral judgements on whether either of you committed adultery etc. or not. They are only concerned with the legal aspect of things and as long as he is divorced, you have a genuine reason for being together in the States, and have met within 2 years of filing that is all they need to know. Their main concern is that it is a genuine relationship and not a scam in order to enter the country etc. Your story obviously is not one where you are using him as a means of entering the country and have a genuine reason for being together so that is not an issue at all. Just be honest and everything will be okay.

Filed: Timeline
Thank you so much for the responses!

Then it will be something like this: "We met in September 2010 when I was in USA with a J1 visa and I was working with his family"?

I'm planning to send a copy of my previos visa, passport stamps and the "certificate of eligibility for exchange visitor (J1) status" as evidence of how we met.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

That won't be a problem because the USCIS don't make moral judgements on whether either of you committed adultery etc. or not. [...] Their main concern is that it is a genuine relationship and not a scam in order to enter the country etc.

However, this is certainly the consulate's concern, especially the last.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

However, this is certainly the consulate's concern, especially the last.

Yes, this. For the I-129F petition, you just need to both be free to marry at the time you file and have met face-to face at least once within the 2 years prior to filing. When you have the actual K-1 visa interview, that is when the CO could possibly bring up the dates and the 'in's and out's' of your relationship. How strict the consulate is you will interview at makes a difference. Research about the consulate you will be going through and be prepared with plenty of evidence that your relationship is bona fide.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.