jkris

K1 Visa Timeline- Planning Wedding

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm a USC and my fiance lives in Northern Ireland (UK). We're applying for a K1 visa and just got our NOA1 on April 9, 2013 from the Vermont Service Center. We're planning our wedding in the US for March 1, 2014. What are the chances that he'll have his visa in time for the wedding? What's an average timeline from receipt of the NOA1 to getting the visa in hand? Any advice is apprecaited!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I think the advice that most people would give you is to not plan anything until you have the visa in hand. It's hard to say how long it'll take, though ~6 months for the approval of the petition plus another 2-3 months for the actual interview seems reasonable. More experienced members may be able to give you something more detailed. Just know that there are often unexpected delays in these things and that's why most people would say not to plan anything yet.

You can examine the statistics for yourself here: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/stats.php?cfl=

You are going to be warned by everyone here not to make concrete plans until you have your visa in hand, though. This process throws up all kinds of curve-balls and surprise delays, even with best made plans and folks with exceptional form-completion skills. :) I would concentrate on plannings things that are not time-sensitive (dresses, suits etc.), or only making bookings that you can reschedule without additional fees.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

It is better to wait until the NOA2 is approved and then you can plan your wedding, this process takes more time and more delays so it is better if you apply first wait until you get your NOA2 and then you can start plaining you wedding... I am still waiting to get my NOA 2 and I have 6 months and a week waiting, there are some applications that took lest time so that's why it is better to wait, you may be lucky to get it before 6 months or hopefully not a little bit more than 6 months...

Wish you the best with your application and hope you don't have to wait too long!

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I just wanna share my experience.

Since my fiancé and I got engaged last year, we have two main goals, to have our dream wedding and to get K1 Visa for me. While we gathered all the requirements for the petition we also planned everything we need for our wedding. I admitt it that I enjoy it, even until now ;) I made a wedding timeline, because I know when I get the visa it's impossible for me to plan the wedding for only a month or two, and I'm glad we planned it since we got engaged. We both enjoy ourselves planning the things we need for our wedding while waiting for NOA2 (it takes 177 days until we got our NOA2), we got most of stuffs we need such as my wedding dress, he got his wedding suit, attire for bestman, maid of honor, flower girls, ring bearer, which will definitely make us stress if we plan it after we got our NOA2 :) we've discussed the food, venue, etc during the waiting period. And now when we have our NOA2 in hand, less stress we have, we are concentrate on the NOA2 now and not worried about our plans for our wedding because we've discussed and arranged most of the things when we were waiting for our NOA2.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I'm a USC and my fiance lives in Northern Ireland (UK). We're applying for a K1 visa and just got our NOA1 on April 9, 2013 from the Vermont Service Center. We're planning our wedding in the US for March 1, 2014. What are the chances that he'll have his visa in time for the wedding? What's an average timeline from receipt of the NOA1 to getting the visa in hand? Any advice is apprecaited!

Sounds reasonable. Be prepared to move the date as the visa process requires. Best bet is set no date until the visa is in hand.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.