GhaleonEME

I-134 Co-Sponsor

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hello All. As always, thank you in advance for your time.
Even though I meet all of the requirements to sponsor my fiance, I have asked my parents to be co-sponsors just to be safe. They have agreed and I have a couple of questions about the process.
1) I understand that they will fill out and sign a single I-134 with their combined incomes. But how do we indicate that I am the primary sponsor and they are the co-sponser? Do I need to fill out another form or include a description in a cover letter? Or is it just assumed that the future spouse is the primary sponsor?
2) My parents would prefer to share as little information as possible. Would a letter from their employer and a statement from their bank, both composed as described in the I-134 instructions, be enough in terms of evidentiary requirements?
Thank you for your time. Any feedback is appreciated.

After a little more research, I am planning to nclude the following my I-134 package.
-Cover letter indicating that I am the primary sponsor and that my parents are co-sponsors
- I-134 form X2 (sponsor and co-sponsor)
- Most recent set of tax returns X1 (sponsor)
-Birth certificate X2 (One for each of my parents who are submitting one co-sponsor application)
-Employment letter X2 (Sponsor and co-sponsor)
-Bank letters X2 (Sponsor and co-sponsor)
-3 most recent paystubs (sponsor and co-sponsor)
Do you think this will be enough? Also, is the cover letter where I should indicate that I am the primary sponsor and that my parents are the co-sponsors?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No need to state you are the primary sponsor, the petitioner always is automatically. Only one person can be the co-sponsor with an I-134. You need to choose the parent that qualifies on their own individual income for their household size plus the beneficiary.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Ok thank you for your feedback. I have one more question.

I more than qualify to support my fiance on my own income. This being the case, would it be better for me to not have a co-sponsor. I have read that it is better to be safe than sorry, but I have also seen posts, like this one, which indicate that petitions with co-sponsors are less likely to be accepted. Could having a co-sponsor in my situation just complicate things?

Thanks again.

Timeline

If you more than qualify on your own, then there is no need for a co-sponsor. You just need to provide your most recent tax transcript and letter from employer and/or most recent pay stub(s) to prove your current income meets the requirement.

Don't use one if you do not need it. Sometimes people have a very new job and/or barely meet the income requirement. For those cases, having a co-sponsor lined up in case they ask for one is a good idea. Someone that has an ongoing, stable income that is comfortably above the requirement has no need for a co-sponsor at all. All consulates do not even accept them.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My fiancé will have been in his job for 5 or 6 months when I have my interview, we aren't expecting any problems, but your embassy might be more strict.

K1 Timeline

02-22-2013: I-129F to VSC

02-28-2013: NOA1

06-10-2013: NOA2 (102 days)

08-16-2013: Interview - Approved!

08-22-2013: Visa in hand

09-14-2013: POE Houston

10-30-2013: Married!

AOS Timeline

12-10-2013: Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

12-16-2013: NOA1 x 3

01-02-2014: Biometrics

02-24-2014: EAD/AP Approved

03-04-2014: Received EAD/AP

03-10-2014: Interview - Approved!

03-18-2014: Received GC

ROC Timeline

12-12-2015: I-751 to CSC

12-17-2015: NOA1

01-14-2016: Biometrics

05-19-2016: Approved!

N-400 Timeline

03-14-2017: N-400 to Texas Lockbox

03-22-2017: NOA1

04-11-2017: Biometrics

04-20-2017: In Line For Interview

07-02-2018: Interview - Approved!

08-22-2018: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

That is very helpful, thank you. I have been employed at my company for 9 months. Should that be long enough?

It should be enough because current income is most important. However, since you were already gathering documents for a co-sponsor, go ahead and take the co-sponsor's documentation, but do not give it to them unless they seem to question your I-134. You can have it there as peace of mind and just in case. I am thinking you will not need it, but I do not know how strict Japan is on financials.

Ok, thank you. That's very helpful. I will send the petition with myself as the only sponsor but have the second i-134 ready to go should they need it.

I just received the requested letter from my employer, and I am a little concerned that it does not explicitely state that my status is full time and permanent. What do you think?

To Whom it May Concern:

XXX was hired by XXX in September of 2012. He is a Systems Analyst for our firm. XXX is in good standing with the organization. His current annual base salary is XXX.

Please let me know if we can provide any additional information. You may reach me at email: XXX or call me at XXX
Sincerely,

XXX

Timeline

That letter seems good, and along with recent pay stubs seems solid for proof of current income.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.