vindon

how many sets of fingerprints are needed for a police check in Thailand?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Me and my fiance recently found out our petition has been approved and last week I received the letter detailing the forms and documents and other requirements I need to get ready for my interview. One is the police check.

I recently lived in Thailand for 18 months, and as it is a requirement to get a police check for every country you have lived in for over a year since turning 16, I need to get one for Thailand.

I found out from the london.usembassy.gov site that this involves sending my fingerprints to Thailand, and I need to get my fingerprints done at a nearby police station. I contacted the police station and I have an appointment but the woman booking me in said that I should check how many sets I need, that she thinks I might need 3 sets. She said people have gone in before for 1 set and have had to come back after finding out that they need 3 sets for a Thai police check. She wasn't sure though and advised me to check.

I can't find any more info on the london.usembassy website and I haven't been able to get an answer from the Thai embassy.

It's expensive enough for 1 set, so I don't want to get 3 if I don't need them. Has anyone else had to get a police check from Thailand? If so, how many sets of fingerprints did you get?

And also what documents did you send to Thailand? I can't find any information about the documents I need to send either.

Any help much appreciated!

Thank you

Lisa

Edited by vindon

This is what the Dept of State says for Thailand. Scroll way down to police certificates. http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9660

The London Embassy refers you to this Dept of State website for document ts from other countries.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Thank you for your reply! I had seen that link actually but the woman at the police station had worried me, but it says 'a set of fingerprints' ..so I just got the one done. I'm sure that will be fine.

I'm still confused about the documents I need to take though.. that page (http://travel.state....5.html?cid=9660) states:

'Non-residents should send their requests to the Royal Thai Police Department at the above address with the required documents and a fingerprint taken by a police authority at their place of residence.'

I am unsure about the required documents. On that page, it states in the paragraph above residents (I was not a resident) should send:

'two recent photographs (2 inch x 2 inch), the original and a copy of his/her passport, identification card, household registration, name change certificate (if any), marriage and divorce certificate (if any). Thai males aged 17-45 must also present military record or proof of exemption from military service.'

This is the only list of documents I can find in reference to getting a Thai police check, but I don't know if this list refers to me.. I wasn't a resident, I didn't have an identification card, household registration or anything else from that list. The only thing I have from that list is my passport, I think maybe I have to send more documents but I don't know. I want to find a list that states 'non-residents should send the following documents ...' but I have had no luck so far..

And I really don't want to send my original passport all the way to Thailand at the moment! I want to find somewhere that states that I what I need to do before I send it.

If anyone has had similar experience, having lived in Thailand and being required to get a police check for their K1, I would love to hear what you sent or where you referred to to find out what to send..

Thanks!

Lisa

Timeline

in case anyone else comes here needing to know the same thing, this is what the UK Home Office says you have to send:

Overseas foreign nationals (previously residing in Thailand):

Covering note stating application for Police Clearance Certificate

Photocopy of current passport

Photocopy of Thai Work Permit (if applicable)

Two passport sized photographs

Three sets of fingerprints (taken at Embassy or Met Police station; include seal and signature of officer)

Self-addressed, stamped envelope.

What are the costs/turnaround?

No fee, except postage

Turnaround of up to seven days.

Overseas applicants should contact the Thai police to arrange return of their

certificate.

Here is the link to a long document which includes info on police checks and other documents from lots of countries (Q to Z), not just Thailand.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/194197/Countries_Q_to_Z_Application_processes_for_foreign_national_criminality_information.pdf

This is just for the UK though, there seems to be slightly different instructions for different countries, some say send your original passport, some say a copy.

Basically, some things on the travel.state.gov website aren't clear and you need to go digging.

I now need to go back to the police station to get 2 more sets of finger prints, as the home office says I need to send 3.

Anyway, I hope this info is useful for someone one day!

Lisa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.