noncompute

I-134 without tax transcripts in Bogota

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi. We received the NOA2 and NVC has forwarded our I-129F to the Bogotá, Colombia embassy. I am preparing to fill out the I-134 and wanted some country-specific requirements on Bogota.

I'd like to do the I-134 without tax transcripts as I'm currently resolving a tax issue (long story short, something was not filed correctly for 2011 taxes and I'm working it out with the IRS -- I am not in debt with them but to handle the situation takes some time).

I do have over six digits in savings and very good income. I can provide my last year's W-2 (previous to that I was self-employed, hence the tax transcript dillema), current pay stubs, can provide my employment contract that states my position as an executive of my company and what my compensation is, etc.

If anyone knows if Bogotá would simply accept liquid assets as a show of financial support, then I think I would pass for this and sidestep the whole tax transcript problem for now.

Any advice? Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Latin American regional subforum for country-specific advice. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

tax return transcripts ARE required for the embassy in Bogota. when you arive at the embassy, they give you a checklist of documents you need to present. A tax return transcript of at least the last tax year is required.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi. We received the NOA2 and NVC has forwarded our I-129F to the Bogotá, Colombia embassy. I am preparing to fill out the I-134 and wanted some country-specific requirements on Bogota.

I'd like to do the I-134 without tax transcripts as I'm currently resolving a tax issue (long story short, something was not filed correctly for 2011 taxes and I'm working it out with the IRS -- I am not in debt with them but to handle the situation takes some time).

I do have over six digits in savings and very good income. I can provide my last year's W-2 (previous to that I was self-employed, hence the tax transcript dillema), current pay stubs, can provide my employment contract that states my position as an executive of my company and what my compensation is, etc.

If anyone knows if Bogotá would simply accept liquid assets as a show of financial support, then I think I would pass for this and sidestep the whole tax transcript problem for now.

Any advice? Thank you.

As aws&ndd said, tax returns or tax trascripts are expected if you are employed. The W2 by itself will not be valid because you need a copy of the tax return to go along with it; however, I'm assuming you filed for an extension so I suggest you send a copy of that extension form which I believe is form 4868, along with copies of your 2012 W2. You should also send copies of your 2011 tax return with corresponding W2 or tax transcripts for 2011 just in case. On top of that you should also attach bank statements that show the savings you're talking about, as well as an employer letter saying how much you earn a year, and about two months of work pay stubs. This is all as back up for not having filed your 2012 tax return.

Hope that helps.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Here's what the interview information packet says:

EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: You must demonstrate that you have sufficient financial support. We recommend that your American fiancé(e) or spouse download and complete an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) which you may bring to your interview. This form is available at http://www.uscis.gov/i-134. To avoid processing delays, we recommend petitioners include a copy of their most recent IRS 1040, and a W2, paystub, or a letter from their employer certifying employment.

It doesn't even mention transcripts. Where are we getting that it's a hard requirement? I can provide all the things that they say, but I'm hearing here that transcripts are needed -- not sure where this requirement is materializing from.

Timeline

Here's what the interview information packet says:

EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: You must demonstrate that you have sufficient financial support. We recommend that your American fiancé(e) or spouse download and complete an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) which you may bring to your interview. This form is available at http://www.uscis.gov/i-134. To avoid processing delays, we recommend petitioners include a copy of their most recent IRS 1040, and a W2, paystub, or a letter from their employer certifying employment.

It doesn't even mention transcripts. Where are we getting that it's a hard requirement? I can provide all the things that they say, but I'm hearing here that transcripts are needed -- not sure where this requirement is materializing from.

noncompute,

You're confusing transcripts with tax returns which are pretty much the same thing. Tax returns are the forms you file to the IRS, such as the 1040, along with the corresponding W2. A lot of people don't like to send those because they may be at least 3-4 pages or they may have the 1040 and not the W2, or they may have the W2 and not have their 1040. In that case they call the IRS and ask for a tax transcript (it's free and takes about 2-3 weeks) which is a summary of the tax return that was filed for a certain year. It may be 1-2 pages and you don't have to attach the W2 to it, it's simpler. But you could send either one, a tax transcript OR a tax return with the corresponding W2.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

noncompute,

You're confusing transcripts with tax returns which are pretty much the same thing. Tax returns are the forms you file to the IRS, such as the 1040, along with the corresponding W2. A lot of people don't like to send those because they may be at least 3-4 pages or they may have the 1040 and not the W2, or they may have the W2 and not have their 1040. In that case they call the IRS and ask for a tax transcript (it's free and takes about 2-3 weeks) which is a summary of the tax return that was filed for a certain year. It may be 1-2 pages and you don't have to attach the W2 to it, it's simpler. But you could send either one, a tax transcript OR a tax return with the corresponding W2.

Diana

Diana,

Thank you for the explanation. The only difference I see between the two is that the transcript is an "official copy", has some sort of certification from the IRS, etc. That's what's the sticking point for me. I have copies of all of my 1040s that I have filed, along with W2s and paystubs for 1099 work. I just don't think I'll be able to get the 1040 transcripts in time from the IRS. So this is sufficient?

Thanks!

Timeline

Diana,

Thank you for the explanation. The only difference I see between the two is that the transcript is an "official copy", has some sort of certification from the IRS, etc. That's what's the sticking point for me. I have copies of all of my 1040s that I have filed, along with W2s and paystubs for 1099 work. I just don't think I'll be able to get the 1040 transcripts in time from the IRS. So this is sufficient?

Thanks!

The embassy doesn't really care which you take with you, whether tax transcripts or tax returns. If you choose to take your tax returns (1040), they need to have the corresponding W2 or they won't be valid. I chose to take my tax returns instead of transcripts because I already had them with me and I didn't have any issues with the NVC nor the embassy.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.