deemabrouk

DO i need to change my TAX FILING Status??

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I was wondering do I have to change my Tax status now??? Would it be in our best interest? I always Filed Head of Household before I was married... But I was wondering if I should File as Married even though he doesnt live with me yet???? He is still overseas and I will be using 2006 tax for our papers..

AND i was also wondering if anyone knew how strict "they" are about the petitioners income.. I have to make $25,000 to sponsor him... and I MIGHT be just a couple hundred shy ( thanks to my boss deciding to leave the country for A MONTH!!! grr ) and i do not have anyone to co sponsor...

SO if anyone knows.. I would appreciate it :)

Edited by deemabrouk

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Filed: Timeline

If you are married on the 31st Dec then you can not file as head of household you will have to file as married.. its up to you whether you file as married filling jointly or married filling separately.....

you will need to meat the income requirement of 125% of the poverty level or you will need a co-sponsor... if you are under by any amount then you do not meet the requirement...

Good Luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You will probably be filing married filing separate, since your husband is not a taxpaying resident of the United states yet.

You have 2 dependents already? Then 25,000 is the 125% poverty line level. If you are short of the amount consider including some assets. Remember that assets count at 1/3 of income. So if you are short 1000 in income you will need to show 3000 in assets.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
If you are married on the 31st Dec then you can not file as head of household you will have to file as married.. its up to you whether you file as married filling jointly or married filling separately.....

you will need to meat the income requirement of 125% of the poverty level or you will need a co-sponsor... if you are under by any amount then you do not meet the requirement...

Good Luck

mm.. I dont get the Dec 31 st part.. dec 31 of 2005 0r 2006? I was married in June of 2006 ???

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you're only a couple of hundred shy, have you considered a part time job during the holidays?? You're pretty close!! Seems this whole process is about jumping through hoops and over hurdles. Good Luck!!!!

David and Pu's Timeline

10/20/2006 Submitted I129F to TSC

10/23/2006 Transferred to CSC

10/26/2006 NOA1 sent snail mail

11/13/2006 Received NOA1 - (Late due to my changing residences on 11/1. FYI, move before you file!)

11/13/2006 Called Customer Service to change address

11/29/2006 Touched!

12/02/2006 Received verification of Change of Address - snail mail

01/10/2007 Bought ticket to visit Pu on Valentines Day!

01/17/2007 NOA2!! via email

01/29/2007 NVC Left - Headed for Bangkok!

02/07/2007 Packet 3 mailed from US Embassy!

02/10/2007 Packet 3 received

02/20/2007 Packet 3 mailed (EMS Next Day)

02/21/2007 Packet 3 Received at Embassy (no signature)

03/06/2007 Received response from Embassy - Packet 4 mailed 02/28/07. Interview scheduled 5/16/2007!

05/16/2007 Interview. Embassy requests passport amended. Luckily the turnaround time is two days in Bangkok.

05/21/2007 Pu returns to Embassy with new passport, visa granted. Visa issued the following day.

05/26/2007 Pu arrives in USA!

05/30/2007 Married!

06/26/2007 Overnighted AOS petition to Chicago Lockbox

06/27/2007 AOS petition delivered to Chicago lockbox, signed for by V Bustamante

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Do not file as married filing separately, as the IRS will be expecting a matching return from your husband. This wold be no sense as he would have no taxable US income, and you would be missing out on all the advantages of filing a joint return. But if you have the extra 1500 or so the give the govt, then separately.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm not a tax expert, but I think Yu and Dan got this one wrong.

Another thread has good info:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43104

Apparently you can file as married filing jointly even if the spouse has never been in the USA. If the foreign spouse has less than some (rather substantial I think it is $60K but it might be more) specified amount of income in the spouse's home country, all of the spouses income can be excluded from US taxes.

Apparently several VJers have been able to save substantial sums on their taxes by filing jointly.

You will need a ITIN for the spouse regardless of whether you file jointly or separately, as I understand it.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So am I understanding this correctly??? I am getting married Dec. 18th

I should file married filing jointly??? wouldnt it be married filing seperate??

WOW !!! I am really confused now.....pls..my fellow vjers, answer this one!!

I-751 timeline

3/05/10 - mailed I-751 packet

3/12/10 - arrived at CSC

3/16/10 - online status, NOA mailed but no mail received

3/18/10 - Check cashed

4/15/10 - biometric appointment (notice recv'd in mail - 4/01/10)

4/16/10 - touched

4/18/10 - I-485 & EAD touched????

5/03/10 - Card production ordered

5/11/10 - letter of Approval received in the mail

5/26/10 - email received "letter of Approval" sent in the mail... not yet received till now 6/8/10

7/07/10 - called USCIS why green card has not received yet

7/09/10 - email from USCIS stating that they already sent the GC on May 25th and undeliverable,

adviced to apply for I-90 as it might have been lost in mail

7/25/10 - mailed application for I-90 (replacement of lost or stolen card)

9/16/10 - biometric appointment

9/20/10 - touched

9/21/10 - touched

ISAIAH 40:31

"but those who HOPE in the Lord will renew their strength,

they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary,

they will walk and not be faint"

[/color]

try this link..

http://rinnahannah.multiply.com/

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you all know Mr. Ray Bacon, he suggested me to file single/head of household if you don't have your spouse's ITN or SSN. When my wife arrived & got the SSN, I simply amended my return. It was no problem.

Filed: Timeline

To use the filing status Single you have to be unmarried as of Dec 31st 2006, to file Head of Household you have to be divorced or hold a legally binding separation agreement and have a qualifying dependent...

The correct filling status for someone married to a non-resident alien should be Married filing separate or Married filling jointly... you can reduce your tax liability by filing married jointly all you need to do is request a ITIN from IRS for your foreign spouse at the time of filling or before....

For more information see IRS website or IRS publication 17

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
To use the filing status Single you have to be unmarried as of Dec 31st 2006, to file Head of Household you have to be divorced or hold a legally binding separation agreement and have a qualifying dependent...

To file as head of household it is not limited to only being divorced or holding a legally binding separation agreement. A single, never married person or a widow(er) can file this way if they have a qualifying dependent.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
That is true but the OP is married and therefore can not file as head of household....

True most of the time but please see http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf for requirements for exception.

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

The correct filling status for someone married to a non-resident alien should be Married filing separate or Married filling jointly... you can reduce your tax liability by filing married jointly all you need to do is request a ITIN from IRS for your foreign spouse at the time of filling or before....

For more information see IRS website or IRS publication 17

Be that as it may. It worked for me. That's what an amended return is for.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.