Maeve

Do you have a Quebec birth certificate issued before 1994?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've just learned that Quebec birth certificates that were issued before 1994 are no longer considered valid, and if you have to deal with anything in Canada, it could be come a major issue. I'm now having to jump through all kinds of hoops to get one while my husband is deployed, and I *really* don't want any of y'all to have to deal with this hassle!

If you can get onto l'etat civil's online system, it's quick and easy to order one, but they *won't* allow anyone on except the actual person - believe me, I tried! Thankfully, the mother or father who is on the birth certificate can request a copy, regardless of their child's age. They also don't need to provide any ID of the child, just their own, so my in-laws are able to take care of this for me.

Here is the link to l'etat civil: http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/en/default.html

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up!

"Я тебя люблю. Эти слова имеют мою жизнь в них."

Eligible for N-400 early based on Section 329 of the INA, Service During Hostilities

lLNXm5.png

I have one and haven't had any issues. Where did you come across that information?

Passport Canada won’t take them for one. It’s been that way for quite a while.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/section4.aspx?lang=eng#note1

For Canadians born in the province of Quebec, only a birth certificate or a copy of an act of birth issued after January 1, 1994, by the Directeur de l'état civil of Quebec or a certificate of Canadian citizenship are accepted as proof of Canadian citizenship.
Edited by hikergirl

Timeline

I have one and haven't had any issues. Where did you come across that information?

My husband might have to renounce his citizenship, and this was stated in the instructions. I don't think it will be an issue here in the US, but might be in Canada. I talked with a woman at a Consulate who told me that even if we didn't need the birth certificate for the renunciation, we should still get one because if we ever have to do anything else in Canada, it could be a problem.

Eligible for N-400 early based on Section 329 of the INA, Service During Hostilities

lLNXm5.png

Timeline

yes, I had to get a new birth certificate because the first one I applied for (I only had a baptismal certificate for many years and was able to use that to get my passport) was invalidated by the Quebec Government in 1994 when they centralized all of their vital statistics record keeping. Only birth certificates issued after 1994 are considered legal, now. It gets harder and harder to get that bc the longer you wait (proof of identity, etc) so definitely get it sooner rather than later. As Maeve reported, Quebec birth certificates issued prior to 1994 are invalid and will not be accepted by Canada or the US for any legal or immigration related purposes.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Admins, is there any way to put this information into a document or something so that users can see it?? Its really important for immigrating Canadians, especially if they wait too long and then run into a situation where its nearly impossible to get a new birth certificate.

lLNXm5.png

• 5 years later...

I have registered for this site for the one specific purpose of thanking Maeve for posting the tidbit of information that has allowed my sister to get a replacement birthcertificate from Quebec.  She was born in 1968 and has never held a passport and now needs one.  We were going through hell trying to find a way to get her one  - she lives in the US and has a different (married) name - etc. etc.  Once I saw this post, I realized my MOTHER could easily apply for my sister.  And my mother did - even though the mother is 80 years old and the sister is 50, LOL. And it was a simple process.  So thank you for this post. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.