Mehmet&Elena

stolen 2 year green card

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello all,

We will be in the process of lifting conditions soon, in July actually . My step son lost his wallet, including his license, green card and social security card. I understand it can take several months to get a replacement two year green card. Will we be able to apply for the lifting of conditions?

If for some reason my stepson's 10 year green card gets denied would my wife auautomatically be denied as well?

Thanks everyone

Hope you have a copy (both sides) of his green card somewhere. File a police report and enclose it. No point in filing I-90 for replacement GC when you'll be filing I-751 next month.

Oh, and put a fraud alert on his credit reports just in case.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Thank you for the reply. Actually we don't have copy. Does this mean we need to file for a replacement?

Hope you have a copy (both sides) of his green card somewhere. File a police report and enclose it. No point in filing I-90 for replacement GC when you'll be filing I-751 next month.

Filing I-751 needs to include a copy of Green Card.

Not sure if police report of lost green card alone will help in this case.

Maybe, include in I-751 the USCIS letter/email that Green card was approved during AOS?

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

Your stepson's status is a derivative of your wife. I assume she was K1 and he was K2. You will file for your wife and there is a section on the I-751 for your stepson's info. This is the only part of the process where you basically get a free ride for him. All you need to pay for is his Biometrics. However, you will need a copy of the front and back of his green card.

K-1 / K-2 Timeline:
02/02/2010 - Sent I-129F
02/04/2010 - NOA1
05/06/2010 - NOA2
07/13/2010 - Consulate Interview - APPROVED
07/17/2010 - POE (JFK)

07/30/2010 - MARRIED!

AOS-EAD Timeline:
08/29/2010 - AOS-EAD sent
09/08/2010 - NOA1
09/17/2010 - Biometrics
11/06/2010 - EAD card received
11/08/2010 - AOS interview - GC's APPROVED
11/19/2010 - Green Cards Arrived

After two amazing years together....

ROC Timeline:
08/10/2012 - ROC sent
08/14/2012 - NOA1
08/27/2012 - Biometrics

05/01/2013 - ROC - APPROVED

05/06/2013 - Green Cards Arrived

Citizenship:

08/31/2013 - N-400 sent

09/04/2013 - NOA1

09/27/2013 - Biometrics

10/08/2013 - In-Line

11/13/2013 - Interview

12/13/2013 - Oath -- Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

Your stepson's status is a derivative of your wife. I assume she was K1 and he was K2. You will file for your wife and there is a section on the I-751 for your stepson's info. This is the only part of the process where you basically get a free ride for him. All you need to pay for is his Biometrics. However, you will need a copy of the front and back of his green card.

I should have made copies. So how should I procede now? We don't have his green. From my understanding it can take 4 to 6 months to receive a replacement.

Timeline

Yes, my wife came with a k1, her son k2.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I should have made copies. So how should I procede now? We don't have his green. From my understanding it can take 4 to 6 months to receive a replacement.

Had you had a copy you wouldn't need to file an I-90 and would have just included the copies of the card. Because you don't have a copy, you need to file an I-90 (and pay the $450 fee).

When you file for ROC you include a copy of the I-90 receipt. You won't likely get the replacement 2 year card before the 10 year is approved, so they'll just issue the 10 year card rather than give you the 2 year. Basically you're paying the I-90 fee just for the receipt to apply for ROC.

Once you have the I-90 receipt, make an infopass to get an I-551 stamp in his passport to prove his LPR status until he gets his 10 year card.

PLEASE make copies of your wifes card, as well as their new ones when the arrive.

Filing I-751 needs to include a copy of Green Card.

Not sure if police report of lost green card alone will help in this case.

Maybe, include in I-751 the USCIS letter/email that Green card was approved during AOS?

Nope :( Unfortunately the lack of a copy of the GC means the OP needs to file the I-90 and include the receipt in the package otherwise they'll most likely get an RFE. If they want to try without it and just a police report, maybe it's worth a shot.

If he doesn't have a copy, the procedure is to file an I-90 replacement. If he had a copy, he wouldn't need to. He doesn't have one, so he needs to file the I-90 and include the receipt in the packet (I believe this is also listed in the instructions somewhere).

Timeline

Had you had a copy you wouldn't need to file an I-90 and would have just included the copies of the card. Because you don't have a copy, you need to file an I-90 (and pay the $450 fee).

When you file for ROC you include a copy of the I-90 receipt. You won't likely get the replacement 2 year card before the 10 year is approved, so they'll just issue the 10 year card rather than give you the 2 year. Basically you're paying the I-90 fee just for the receipt to apply for ROC.

Once you have the I-90 receipt, make an infopass to get an I-551 stamp in his passport to prove his LPR status until he gets his 10 year card.

PLEASE make copies of your wifes card, as well as their new ones when the arrive.

Nope :( Unfortunately the lack of a copy of the GC means the OP needs to file the I-90 and include the receipt in the package otherwise they'll most likely get an RFE. If they want to try without it and just a police report, maybe it's worth a shot.

If he doesn't have a copy, the procedure is to file an I-90 replacement. If he had a copy, he wouldn't need to. He doesn't have one, so he needs to file the I-90 and include the receipt in the packet (I believe this is also listed in the instructions somewhere).

One more qustion. We need to include in the ROC packet a court report for her son. If for some reason they don't give him a ten year gteen card would my wife also get denied? Can his stupid mistake have a negative impact on their decision for my wifes 10 year green card.

Thank you.

Timeline

One more qustion. We need to include in the ROC packet a court report for her son. If for some reason they don't give him a ten year gteen card would my wife also get denied? Can his stupid mistake have a negative impact on their decision for my wifes 10 year green card.

It's really not a big deal, just an expensive lesson. You file as normal, it has no bearing on anything. You simply file the I-90, prepare the I-751 packet (as stated above he could be included on hers if he meets the criteria explained in the instructions), include a copy of his i-90 receipt in place of the copy of his GC and it will proceed as normal.

Not a big deal at all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello all,

We will be in the process of lifting conditions soon, in July actually . My step son lost his wallet, including his license, green card and social security card. I understand it can take several months to get a replacement two year green card. Will we be able to apply for the lifting of conditions?

If for some reason my stepson's 10 year green card gets denied would my wife auautomatically be denied as well?

Thanks everyone

oh it's a side conversation and so much said about it on this site but i tell everyone to not carry their green card with them, `you must carry it with you` is just a certain noise the immigration department is making so you lose it and give them another 500 bucks

09/01/2002 - Came to USA on an F-1

-
03/11/2011 - (Day 01) - AOs Package Delivered

08/08/2011 - (Day 150) - Green Card arrived

-

04/30/2013 - (Day 00) - I-751 Package Sent

05/01/2013 - (Day 01) - I-751 Package Delivered

01/16/2014 - (Day 261) - I-751 Interview, verbal approval on the spot

04/08/2014 - (Day 343) - I-751 Approved

-

04/28/2014 - (Day 00) - N-400 Package Sent

04/30/2014 - (Day 01) - N-400 Package Delivered

05/03/2014 - (Day 04) - NOA Receipt Date

05/27/2014 - (Day 29) - Walk-In Biometrics (original date was 06/04/2014)

06/27/2014 - (Day 60) - In Line for Interviewing

10/06/2014 - (Day 102) - Interview in Long Island City Field Office, Result: RFE given

10/06/2014 - (Day 102) - Responded RFE

01/23/2015 - (Day 211) - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

01/23/2015 - (Day 211) - US Citizen

Timeline

oh it's a side conversation and so much said about it on this site but i tell everyone to not carry their green card with them, `you must carry it with you` is just a certain noise the immigration department is making so you lose it and give them another 500 bucks

While I personally don't carry mine, we're not allowed to advise illegal activity. You can be charged with a misdemeanor for not carrying your GC. It is a crime. While I've never seen anyone punished for it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. So, do whatever you feel is right, but dont' advise others to do so without advising it IS illegal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

While I personally don't carry mine, we're not allowed to advise illegal activity. You can be charged with a misdemeanor for not carrying your GC. It is a crime. While I've never seen anyone punished for it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. So, do whatever you feel is right, but dont' advise others to do so without advising it IS illegal.

calm down, `illegal activity`... you treating this as if asked him to drop a bomb somewhere. I just said I tell people around me etc.etc. I didn't advised him to do anything... READ my post again!

09/01/2002 - Came to USA on an F-1

-
03/11/2011 - (Day 01) - AOs Package Delivered

08/08/2011 - (Day 150) - Green Card arrived

-

04/30/2013 - (Day 00) - I-751 Package Sent

05/01/2013 - (Day 01) - I-751 Package Delivered

01/16/2014 - (Day 261) - I-751 Interview, verbal approval on the spot

04/08/2014 - (Day 343) - I-751 Approved

-

04/28/2014 - (Day 00) - N-400 Package Sent

04/30/2014 - (Day 01) - N-400 Package Delivered

05/03/2014 - (Day 04) - NOA Receipt Date

05/27/2014 - (Day 29) - Walk-In Biometrics (original date was 06/04/2014)

06/27/2014 - (Day 60) - In Line for Interviewing

10/06/2014 - (Day 102) - Interview in Long Island City Field Office, Result: RFE given

10/06/2014 - (Day 102) - Responded RFE

01/23/2015 - (Day 211) - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

01/23/2015 - (Day 211) - US Citizen

Timeline

calm down, `illegal activity`... you treating this as if asked him to drop a bomb somewhere. I just said I tell people around me etc.etc. I didn't advised him to do anything... READ my post again!

Seriously? So it's only illegal if it's a "big crime"? Again, it's against the VJ TOS to advise illegal activity. While you didn't specifically say "hey OP, don't carry it" you DID say

i tell everyone to not carry their green card with them, `you must carry it with you` is just a certain noise the immigration department is making so you lose it and give them another 500 bucks

Yes, I agree it seems ridiculous to carry it at all times, especially given the ridiculous fee to replace it, but it doesn't make it any less illegal to not carry it. If you want to "tell everyone" to not carry it make sure you tell them that they are committing a crime by not carrying it, otherwise you are doing them a disservice. Giving them all the facts allows them to make an informed decision.

So again, while you didn't specifically say the OP's name, you're posting in a thread where someone had it stolen stating you "tell everyone" not to carry their GC... so you are in effect telling the OP (and anyone else reading) to not carry it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.