Dr. A ♥ O

Two identical color photos and one impossible hair cut...

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I assume this is two passport style photos again, correct? Also does anyone know if these photos go on the Citizenship certificate, or do they take a photo at the biometrics and use that?

Dh is concerned about the photo because he shaved his head at the beginning of May for summer and now he's not going to have much hair for his photo. If they take one at biometrics and use that he'll be ok with it he says. He didn't realize there would be photos taken to be turned in with the packet. Now he wants to delay applying until his hair grows out and he can get a descent hair cut if they do indeed use the passport photos.

That's just a couple more months to wait, but it messes with our timing and planning. The Portland office seems to be processing at 3 - 4 months which is good.

I'm concerned that we should go ahead and apply now regardless of the photos so we can be done with citizenship before we go back to Egypt next year in Feb. My understanding is you shouldn't travel while the N-400 application is pending. He hasn't been back home since he arrived here before the revolution. He's been studying and taking the exams to become a doctor here to continue to practice medicine and will apply for the 2014 Match in September. He has interviews for the medical residency programs across the United States between October through mid-Feb. That leaves us a window to visit Egypt from mid-Feb until June next year before his medical residency is supposed to start July 1st or two weeks prior to July 1st in some cases for doctor orientation.

This is his only chance to go home and see his family and friends before diving into residency for three years. Plus his younger brother is getting married as well. Since my husband is the oldest and coming from the States he gets some say in when the wedding is held. They're going to have it in one of the months we can be there.

If we wait on applying because of the pictures that could throw our timing off for processing and everything else. Should he go ahead and apply when eligible, wait until his hair grows out and he can get a nice hair cut for the photo and for his interviews, or wait until after we come back from Egypt so as not to risk it?

The other consideration is that if he goes back to Egypt for this visit the Egyptian military can recall him for up to 21 days and possibly longer if something is happening. If he has his US citizenship they can't touch him. Seeing our history with him being taken into the Egyptian military before, when we thought it wasn't possible, I don't want to risk it possibly happening again. He's going to start a medical residency in the States and we've worked long and hard for that and he can't miss this opportunity.

Edited by Dr. A ♥ O

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

1. Gegel is wrong. They take a new photo at biometrics to use on your naturalization certificate.

2. You can travel during the process, there is no problem with that.

3. You might want to switch to decaff.

Edited by English Muffin

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Thanks. Oh boy! Decisions, decision. sad.png

On a positive note, he will never use his naturalization certificate except for the application for his first US passport, so the photo on the certificate will never be 'seen in public'.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

1. Gegel is wrong. They take a new photo at biometrics to use on your naturalization certificate.

2. You can travel during the process, there is no problem with that.

3. You might want to switch to decaff.

2. Are you sure? I read it's advised not to travel during the naturalization process until it's complete.

On a positive note, he will never use his naturalization certificate except for the application for his first US passport, so the photo on the certificate will never be 'seen in public'.

Thanks! I'll tell him this and hope it will be encouraging.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

Yes, I'm sure. Just read around this forum, lots of people travel during the process. Some people have to travel for work numerous times during it. Just make sure he keeps a copy of the dates he is out of the country.

This is what USCIS have to say regarding the photos.

Q3. What’s different about the new certificates?
A3. The naturalization candidate’s digitized photo and signature are embedded in the security-enhanced certificate. Its background features a color-shifting ink pattern that is difficult to recreate. Additionally, USCIS will use a more secure printing process, making it more tamper-proof.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=68439c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextoid=a024d766a29eb210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Timeline

Yes, I'm sure. Just read around this forum, lots of people travel during the process. Some people have to travel for work numerous times during it. Just make sure he keeps a copy of the dates he is out of the country.

This is what USCIS have to say regarding the photos.

Q3. What’s different about the new certificates?

A3. The naturalization candidate’s digitized photo and signature are embedded in the security-enhanced certificate. Its background features a color-shifting ink pattern that is difficult to recreate. Additionally, USCIS will use a more secure printing process, making it more tamper-proof.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=68439c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextoid=a024d766a29eb210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

From that I gather they take a digital picture but then it makes you wonder what the two passport photos we supply are for. This digital photo is also encouraging for sure. I was wondering how that would work if we applied for naturalization later and then we were gone to Egypt for four months during the process.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

If you read the link I posted it explains why you take two passport photos. If you send off the N-400 don't leave the country until after biometrics are done.

Q8. If ASCs will capture digital photos of N-400 applicants, why must applicants still provide hard-copy photos?
A8. The hard-copy photos will be required as a back-up in case of unforeseen issues, allowing them to continue their naturalization process without delay.

Timeline

If you read the link I posted it explains why you take two passport photos. If you send off the N-400 don't leave the country until after biometrics are done.

Q8. If ASCs will capture digital photos of N-400 applicants, why must applicants still provide hard-copy photos?

A8. The hard-copy photos will be required as a back-up in case of unforeseen issues, allowing them to continue their naturalization process without delay.

I see it now:

So if we do apply later and then travel after biometrics what happens with the process? We inform them we'll be gone until however long, or how does that work?

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

After biometrics the next step is the interview. If that's scheduled for when he's out of the country he'll need to reschedule it...make sure someone reliable is checking his mail.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

he is getting older, right?

I say use photos taken TODAY,

then once summer is over, keep shaving his head when he's asleep.

Keep doing that, for the next 12 years, untill baldness sets in, then stop.

Good Luck ! I expect status reports every 6 months... [ l o l ]

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

LOL! Ah the deets! I guess we'll see if dignity and vanity win over on this one so in 12 years he can look back on his US citizenship and admire when he still had hair.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

the only petition I have ever seen that might be delayed due to a haircut

NICE

:)

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.