Maeve

Has anyone had any experience with renouncing Canadian Citizenship?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No more legal than people in some States being asked for their non US Drivers License.

What I remember was very similar to the naturalisation, did not involve your home country at all.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I doubt the US government would be asking for his Canadian passport...doesn;t sound legal.

I would think though that once renounced the Canadian government will provide some sort of documentation which would then suffice.

The US government wouldn't take his Canadian passport. The Canadian consulate would upon revoking his Canadian citizenship...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Completely useless but I remember a poster from Canada having this exact same issue some years back. They had to renounce citizenship to get a certain clearance in the military for the job they wanted.

Iv searched for almost an hour but cant locate the post about it.... its here somewhere just buried.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

On federal soup forums I found this post its from 2008, its the 6th post down from the top.

I spoke to our military circle and they all agreed to try this avenue first because he may not have to 'actually' renounce the citizenship.

(a few of them are dual citizenship holders who have high clearance, never asked to renounce.)

https://federalsoup.federaldaily.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4876&PN=1&title=top-secret-clearance-with-dual-citizenship

Hello. I was in the U.S. military for a couple of years. While there, I was told I had to give up my Canadian citizenship (I was dual). All I did was go to the security forces office and turn in my passport, which they shredded, and sign a document which I wrote stating that I was giving it up. I think that's all that happened. Since that time, some bad personal stuff has happened and as a result, I left the military and moved back with my family in Canada for a while. Does the Canadian government still consider me a Canadian citizen? The only document that I don't have anymore is my passport. I never informed the Canadian government of anything regarding my service or citizenship status. Thank you so much for your time.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Precisely

The US government wouldn't take his Canadian passport. The Canadian consulate would upon revoking his Canadian citizenship...

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

It may be enough to turn in his passport. You might also be able to get him to notarize something in front of a military official?

It may be enough to turn in his passport. You might also be able to get him to notarize something in front of a military official?

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Timeline

I doubt the US government would be asking for his Canadian passport...doesn;t sound legal.

I would think though that once renounced the Canadian government will provide some sort of documentation which would then suffice.

The US Government is just asking him to renounce his citizenship, and if the renunciation is accepted he'll get a certificate.

We've got everything we need...its just this birth certificate debacle that' holding things up :/

"Я тебя люблю. Эти слова имеют мою жизнь в них."

Eligible for N-400 early based on Section 329 of the INA, Service During Hostilities

lLNXm5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Each govt organization has their own rules for granting security Clearances...and one doesn't have to accept the others clearance...and if they want you bad enough, they may grant a waiver.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Thanks for the info, everyone :)

It would be great for him to just turn in his passport and sign something...but when I talked to my husband he did mention a certificate of renunciation, so I suspect they actually want him to go through with the whole thing :/ I haven't been able to talk to my husband much in the past few days, but I've been talking to the FRG and I think they're doing some research for me. Hopefully I can get some answers soon!

Eligible for N-400 early based on Section 329 of the INA, Service During Hostilities

lLNXm5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

More likely a form he has to fill in, and notarise,

Like I say never assume its logical.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

More likely a form he has to fill in, and notarise,

Like I say never assume its logical.

I sure hope so :/ But I haven't really heard from him since he told me about this, so hopefully everything is all right.

I did get some good news about the birth certificate, though! In Quebec, the parents can apply for their child's birth certificate - it doesn't matter how old the child is, and they don't need any of the child's ID. I had called this morning to check that the ID I had would be accepted, and the guy I spoke to (who of course didn't speak much English) kept telling me that my power of attorney might not be accepted :/ It would be really awful to send in all that money only to have them tell me, "tough luck." But the guy did say that it would be much easier if my in-laws applied. So my mother-in-law is going to send in the form and then send the birth certificate to me. Hopefully that doesn't take too long! *knock on wood*

lLNXm5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.