48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I thought that you couldnt get a passport if you had problems with the law.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You can get denied a passport for drug crimes and certain sex crimes but the OP said her fiance has a passport already

Your friendly neighborhood post office expert

Visiting/meeting--

A US citizen does not need a visitor visa to enter the UK. He should be prepared to show he has a return ticket, enough funds to support his trip, proof of a job or ties that will assure the officer that he will not stay or work. There is no pre-clearance asking questions to travel from the US to the UK.

The UK person may apply for ESTA. Often after a period of time after denial of a B2 visa, the ESTA will go through. B2 visas are hard to get in the UK because it is a visa waiver country. I hear of many saying they were denied.

Moving on to immigrating to the US on a fiancé visa--

As far as his crimes, those would be addressed in the petition. See the instructions #7 and #8 http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

The UK person's caution would be discussed at the visa interview London. A subject access report would be ordered in addition to the regular police certificate. Minor cautions do not keep people from Immigrating.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Maybe I'm missing something here, but as far as I know, British Citizens do not need a Visa to come to the USA and USC's do not need a Visa to travel to the UK. I'm sure there are restrictions (length of stay, etc) but it seems you're making this more difficult than it is.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but as far as I know, British Citizens do not need a Visa to come to the USA and USC's do not need a Visa to travel to the UK. I'm sure there are restrictions (length of stay, etc) but it seems you're making this more difficult than it is.

She, the UK citizen would have to fill out the ESTA pre-clearance. It asks if you have been arrested or convicted. She has. So she figured her ESTA would be denied and thus she could not board a plane to the US without it. So she applied for a visa, thinking her crime would preclude her from travelling visa waiver. The hitch now is ESTA also asks if you have ever been denied a visa to the US. She has. She burned her visa waiver bridge before she tried to cross it.

I agree the US citizen does not need a visa and they don't ask about crimes.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Timeline

hey will not get an us passport becasue he has a recorder move on

Totally Incorrect

If a USC has convictions they are'nt allowed into Canada,

as to travelling to UK for a visit I don't know if the same policies

do apply...all these systems are now connected, but meet him

face to face, that's required

Edited by Jawaree

Since the US citizen was recently imprisoned for domestic violence he may be ineligible to enter the UK due to that conviction.

Meeting in a third country may be the way to go.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He should check to see if he can enter the UK without a visa, apply for a visa otherwise.

She does not specify what the criminal issue is, but sounds like it is not serious, not a CIMT and therefore she should apply for ESTA. With a recent B2 waiver it might be some time before ESTA would be reinstated. All depends on the nature of the caution.

I have seen a case where both parties had serious criminal issues and could not visit each other, bad enough that no other country would want them either.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hes just applied for the passport for 10 years its in date thats not the issue, we are worried about him coming over here now because of his criminal record we're looking into meeting in another country but i thought it would make more sense to go to the us so maybe canada :)

Timeline

"He should check to see if he can enter the UK without a visa, apply for a visa otherwise.

She does not specify what the criminal issue is, but sounds like it is not serious, not a CIMT and therefore she should apply for ESTA. With a recent B2 waiver it might be some time before ESTA would be reinstated. All depends on the nature of the caution.

I have seen a case where both parties had serious criminal issues and could not visit each other, bad enough that no other country would want them either."

the criminal thing isnt a problem on my end it was a caution for a small about of marijuana less than a gram first and last offence, I wasn't arrested but i was detained for 6 hours and this is 5 years ago i was 16/17 im 22 almost i believe i was a minor then under 18. Now I'm more worried about his convictions stated in my first post.

Edited by Serenity1

Timeline

yes i probably am because i dont know the right way to go about it or the easiest ive never done anything like this so any information will be helpful we're gonna take a look into it today so we'll need all the help we can get really i dont know weather he should come here or we both go to canada or something but it has to be 1 or the other

Timeline

She, the UK citizen would have to fill out the ESTA pre-clearance. It asks if you have been arrested or convicted. She has. So she figured her ESTA would be denied and thus she could not board a plane to the US without it. So she applied for a visa, thinking her crime would preclude her from travelling visa waiver. The hitch now is ESTA also asks if you have ever been denied a visa to the US. She has. She burned her visa waiver bridge before she tried to cross it.

I agree the US citizen does not need a visa and they don't ask about crimes.

thank you this helps we'll get onto getting that plane ticket and looking into visa stuff weather he needs one or not. but its looking like it'd be cool if he didnt get one and just brought proof of work income, lease on his apartment to show ties to his country he only wants to come over here for 2 weeks or something so we can get the paperwork started once he's come back from his visit to the US

it seems this is the most hopeful way for me to immigrate there with the k1

Edited by Serenity1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You have plenty of info, seems like you need to digest it and learn how things work.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.