KHnTX

Ceremony before wedding in U.S.

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have done a search on this and found that people don't recommend it. But has anyone actually done it? I ask because my fiancee's father was diagnosed with advanced stage two cancer in his sinus when he went to a doctor visit after he lost hearing in one ear. Needless to say this has added a lot of stress to her and her family. Her father would like for us to have a ceremony there after she has the visa while he is still able to. I have no problem doing this to accommodate her father's wishes but would like some real answers from people who have done it. If making sure she only refers to me as her fiance at the POE is the only issue I can't really see a reason not to do it.

Thanks.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do the "ceremony" after the k1 visa has been issued and on-hand, to be at the safe side.

Do not sign any papers in relation to that "ceremony". Keep in mind that "ceremony" is only for show and NOT LEGALLY binding in any way, whatsoever. Make that clear to the parents and everyone who will show up.

Edited by apple21

my cousin is doing exactly that. Ceremony in Australia in september, entering US on K1 and another wedding where it will be papers signed legally binding. Australian wedding will be bigger, full church production, but no official certificate. Why not! you should do it.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Never do a legal ceremony when you have taken the K1 route. If EVER it comes up that you were legally married when you entered the US they can take away all immigration benefits that you have received and send you back home. The more and more countries share data the sooner this will come back to bite people that think they are pulling one off by going K1 then marrying before they leave.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have done a search on this and found that people don't recommend it. But has anyone actually done it? I ask because my fiancee's father was diagnosed with advanced stage two cancer in his sinus when he went to a doctor visit after he lost hearing in one ear. Needless to say this has added a lot of stress to her and her family. Her father would like for us to have a ceremony there after she has the visa while he is still able to. I have no problem doing this to accommodate her father's wishes but would like some real answers from people who have done it. If making sure she only refers to me as her fiance at the POE is the only issue I can't really see a reason not to do it.

Thanks.

You may not find many that do a ceremony before because most try to avoid it like the plague for obvious reasons. With that said I truly understand the need ... and like so many others have said - DO NO PAPERWORK!! SIGN NOTHING! And for sure do not bring any pictures from that ceremony to the interview... NONE! And yes... fiancé only ;)

All the Best!!

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You may not find many that do a ceremony before because most try to avoid it like the plague for obvious reasons. With that said I truly understand the need ... and like so many others have said - DO NO PAPERWORK!! SIGN NOTHING! And for sure do not bring any pictures from that ceremony to the interview... NONE! And yes... fiancé only wink.png

All the Best!!

If we do the ceremony, but we are going to go ahead and plan for it, it won't happen till after the visa is in hand and she has her CFO done. I was already planning on flying there to stay with her and her family a few days after she had everything completed and fly back home with her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

One post advocating visa fraud in violation of the Terms of Service has been removed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderator's hat off. Do not do any sort of official 'ceremony'. You can do a 'for show' mock, unofficial, unauthorized and non-legal ceremony for her father's benefit, but it will not be a wedding. You can consider it a 'dress rehearsal' for the wedding. If you care for this woman at all you will not expose her to the very real risk that getting married prior to entering the US and then entering on a K-1 and falsifying the information about the marriage will bring. There have been a number of threads posted in this forum in the past where individuals have done just that thing - and ended up being deported and banned for life. The US partner then has to make a choice between living outside of the US knowing that he/she will never be able to live in the US with their spouse or ending the relationship. There is no between ground. USCIS does not negotiate on this one - at all.

So, have an unofficial, non-legal, non-binding ceremony only for show and not for real in her home country, and have the real wedding in the US. Take a video of the real wedding and send it to her father. If you find out that the ceremony is indeed legal and binding, then you have negated the K-1 visa and she will not be allowed to use it to enter the US. If she does, then see the scenario at the end of paragraph one. Your only other option then is to refile for a CR-1 spousal visa - start the whole immigration process all over again from the beginning - but that is only if she has not used the K-1 to enter the US fraudulently.

i am sorry for coming across so strongly on this, but you really need to hear this. You cannot afford to risk your happiness at this stage of the game by doing something stupid like allowing or having your partner use a K-1 visa to enter the US when you are already married.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

We are not doing a ceremony, but will be having a "reception" type party for her family and friends before she comes here to marry me. We have called it an "engagement party". Perhaps you could do something like that instead?

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: Timeline

We are not doing a ceremony, but will be having a "reception" type party for her family and friends before she comes here to marry me. We have called it an "engagement party". Perhaps you could do something like that instead?

That would work, or just a despedida party, which is expected anyways.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

If we do the ceremony, but we are going to go ahead and plan for it, it won't happen till after the visa is in hand and she has her CFO done. I was already planning on flying there to stay with her and her family a few days after she had everything completed and fly back home with her.

Just do not have an official do the "do you take this man/woman..."

Reality is any ceremony before you reach the USA can toss a clinger into the gears....

To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.