J & L

Affidavit of Support.

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

We're still nowhere close filing one but I've been wondering how it works.
Do I need tax returns AND a letter from my fiancè employer AND pay stubs to show he has an income?
How do we know whether we meet the requirements or not?
I think the poverty guidelines were involved somehow, and the sponsor, or co-sponsor that is, were meant to make at least 125%... something along those lines. Just feeling confused. Also, would be have to send the same documents with the AOS? Can my money count too if transferred on a joint bank account?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

If you have no children or dependents then you would to meet the 125% poverty guidelines for a household of 2 to sponsor him. If you have other dependents then you would have to meet the guidelines for the number in your household. As for the evidence to support the I-134 the only things listed on the form as required are the letter from your employer and a statement from your bank detailing your account balances and yearly deposit activity. That being said, the pay stubs are highly recommended as additional support and I plan on bringing tax transcripts also.

A co-sponsor can be used at most embassy (check your embassy's guidelines specifically to be sure) if you do not meet the requirements. They would have to fill out the same documentation as you do and bring the same evidence. However you BOTH have to fill out the I-134 with documentation if using a co-sponsor.

The AOS document is a bit different, I'm not as familiar with that process since I'm not there yet but from what I understand if you qualify to sponsor with I-134 you will also qualify with the AOS but the document you fill out and sign has more legal weight

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

Do I need tax returns AND a letter from my fiancè employer AND pay stubs to show he has an income?

I think the poverty guidelines were involved somehow, and the sponsor, or co-sponsor that is, were meant to make at least 125%... something along those lines. Just feeling confused. Also, would be have to send the same documents with the AOS? Can my money count too if transferred on a joint bank account?

pull the guidelines for the 134 document .. this is what they will use at the interview. requirements for the 134 I am pretty sure are 100% of the poverty guidelines.

the consulate officer has discretion as to what he/she will or will not accept for sponsorship when there is a co-sponsor.

when status is adjusted, the 864 will be filed which is the contract and the 125% comes into play.

hopefully someone else chimes in if there is something left out

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You need the I-134, most recent tax transcript, letter from employer and/or most recent pay stub(s). For AOS you will need the I-864 and updated supporting documents. Your assets do not count for the I-134, but can be listed on the I-864 when filing for AOS after you are married.

The requirement for the I-134 is entirely up to the CO. Some consulates use the 100% level for the I-134 and others use the I-864 guidelines and want to see at least 125%. See the guidelines here> http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

At this stage, it is a good idea to ask in your regional forum to get answers specific to your consulate in order to know what the general guidelines are for where you will interview.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Tax returns + a letter from my fiancè's employer + pay stubs is what I had for the affidavit of support of my K1 visa.

Naples is very strict on the economic requirements and generally does not accept co-sponsors for the i-134 (affidavit of support for K1 visas).

If the petitioner (=the sponsor) doesn't meet the poverty guidelines (125% to be sure), you might want to consider getting married and file for an i-130 instead. Co-sponsors for the i-864 (affidavit of support for IR1/CR1 visas) will be accepted.

- I am the beneficiary -

Timeline

Tax returns + a letter from my fiancè's employer + pay stubs is what I had for the affidavit of support of my K1 visa.

Naples is very strict on the economic requirements and generally does not accept co-sponsors for the i-134 (affidavit of support for K1 visas).

If the petitioner (=the sponsor) doesn't meet the poverty guidelines (125% to be sure), you might want to consider getting married and file for an i-130 instead. Co-sponsors for the i-864 (affidavit of support for IR1/CR1 visas) will be accepted.

What if he's been working for less than a year and he won't have tax returns yet? They don't accept co-sponsors AT ALL?

We sent documents already for the K1. OMG this is horrible news. :(

Timeline

pull the guidelines for the 134 document .. this is what they will use at the interview. requirements for the 134 I am pretty sure are 100% of the poverty guidelines.

the consulate officer has discretion as to what he/she will or will not accept for sponsorship when there is a co-sponsor.

when status is adjusted, the 864 will be filed which is the contract and the 125% comes into play.

hopefully someone else chimes in if there is something left out

I read that too, 100% for the K1 and then for the AOS it would be 125%.

Although no one here confirmed this...

Timeline

What if he's been working for less than a year and he won't have tax returns yet? They don't accept co-sponsors AT ALL?

We sent documents already for the K1. OMG this is horrible news. sad.png

So this is his first job and he never filed taxes before? He can include a statement explaining that. He should get a letter from his employer stating that his position is permanent and how much he earns. Also, provide his most recent pay stub as close to the interview as possible that will show his year-to-date earnings total. For most consulates, the current income is the most important aspect.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

So this is his first job and he never filed taxes before? He can include a statement explaining that. He should get a letter from his employer stating that his position is permanent and how much he earns. Also, provide his most recent pay stub as close to the interview as possible that will show his year-to-date earnings total. For most consulates, the current income is the most important aspect.

Yes, it is. He's been keeping all of his pay stubs, although we know we're gonna need recent ones depending on when I'll have to go to the embassy. One of the things that was keeping up from filing it was that he didn't work before, but now he does.

I read you either need to send bank statements or pay stubs but I figured a letter from his boss + 2 to 3 pay stubs should be fine.

We were considering getting a co-sponsor, his mom, but at this point it's not too clear to me whether we're allowed to have one or not. I read online we'd be able to but at the same time a person here replied saying they're not allowed in Naples?

And as of this morning I read that only 100% of the poverty guidelines is needed for the K1 and then it will be 125% for the AOS. I just find it hard to find all the right information about it, we definitely don't want to file anything wrong or have our case delayed due to errors on our part.

Timeline

Yes, it is. He's been keeping all of his pay stubs, although we know we're gonna need recent ones depending on when I'll have to go to the embassy. One of the things that was keeping up from filing it was that he didn't work before, but now he does.

I read you either need to send bank statements or pay stubs but I figured a letter from his boss + 2 to 3 pay stubs should be fine.

We were considering getting a co-sponsor, his mom, but at this point it's not too clear to me whether we're allowed to have one or not. I read online we'd be able to but at the same time a person here replied saying they're not allowed in Naples?

And as of this morning I read that only 100% of the poverty guidelines is needed for the K1 and then it will be 125% for the AOS. I just find it hard to find all the right information about it, we definitely don't want to file anything wrong or have our case delayed due to errors on our part.

Several people that went through Naples fairly recently were not allowed to use a co-sponsor. I do not know if it is a new policy of the consulate or there is a certain CO there does not allow for them. You could write the consulate an email and ask them directly if they will accept a co-sponsor for the I-134.

The instructions for the I-134 state you only need 100% but many consualtes still require 125% since they know you will need 125% for the I-864 soon when you file for AOS. The K-1 is a special visa because it is technically a non-immigrant visa, but the K-1 holder is actually an intending to immigrant, since that is the purpose of the visa. The I-134 wasn't created with the K-1 visa in mind. It is really meant for actual non-immigrants that would not be intending to stay in the US permanently. It is not a DoS form, but a USCIS one used at consulates. This is also why #11 is N/A for the K-1, as they will not be staying temporarily. It is not even legally binding and tends to act more as a cover letter of a sort, listing all the financial details so they can be looked over easily.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't know about Naples, but I just found on the website for the Rio de Janeiro Embassy, when looking into documents for the K1 interview, a link to the requirements for the I-864 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf). So my guess is, they use 125% for the reasons Jay-Kay explained.

yWs4m5.png

NOA1: 22nd Oct 2012

RFE: 1st May 2013

NOA2: 16th May 2013, 206 days from NOA1.

NVC received: 31st May 2013

Interview: July 16th - APPROVED!

Timeline

I don't know about Naples, but I just found on the website for the Rio de Janeiro Embassy, when looking into documents for the K1 interview, a link to the requirements for the I-864 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf). So my guess is, they use 125% for the reasons Jay-Kay explained.

The I-86 is required for AOS and an I-134 for the K1 visa at the embassy... we're not married yet.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The I-86 is required for AOS and an I-134 for the K1 visa at the embassy... we're not married yet.

I understand. What I'm saying is, the embassy at Rio might use the minimum income required for the I-864 even though I'm filling a I-134.

I'm saying that because right bellow the link for the I-134 they have a link to the I-864P, Porverty Guidelines.

This is their website: http://portuguese.brazil.usembassy.gov/pt/fiancee2.html

I know it doesn't help you. But who knows, maybe they have something similar at Naples Embassy website :)

yWs4m5.png

NOA1: 22nd Oct 2012

RFE: 1st May 2013

NOA2: 16th May 2013, 206 days from NOA1.

NVC received: 31st May 2013

Interview: July 16th - APPROVED!

Timeline

Several people that went through Naples fairly recently were not allowed to use a co-sponsor. I do not know if it is a new policy of the consulate or there is a certain CO there does not allow for them. You could write the consulate an email and ask them directly if they will accept a co-sponsor for the I-134.

The instructions for the I-134 state you only need 100% but many consualtes still require 125% since they know you will need 125% for the I-864 soon when you file for AOS. The K-1 is a special visa because it is technically a non-immigrant visa, but the K-1 holder is actually an intending to immigrant, since that is the purpose of the visa. The I-134 wasn't created with the K-1 visa in mind. It is really meant for actual non-immigrants that would not be intending to stay in the US permanently. It is not a DoS form, but a USCIS one used at consulates. This is also why #11 is N/A for the K-1, as they will not be staying temporarily. It is not even legally binding and tends to act more as a cover letter of a sort, listing all the financial details so they can be looked over easily.

I wish I could e-mail them but on their web page there's only an address available, and it's still not too clear to me why they wouldn't accept a co-sponsor.

Is the income before or after taxes?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.