Mark and Mindy

Help regarding interview preparation + requirements

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all!

So I've recieved the letter from the embassy telling me I need to get the medical check, police check, etc etc. I'm finding the information on this part of visa quite confusing. The embassy's website itself has instructions all in the wrong order, and even this website seems to have little information on it.

I'm hoping to find a simple step by step guide on this section, does anyone have one?

Also a side question - will my fiance in America have to change her surname to mine for our marriage to be 'valid' in the eyes of immigration control? We love each other and want to marry, but we don't want it to be a big deal and want to just enjoy being together without feeling a pressure of marriage especially as she lives in a pretty small conservative community that might be a little slow in accepting me being on the scene! We just want to keep the marriage quiet, and also she's a teacher so changing her name isn't something we want to do until a couple of years time.

Thanks for any/all help!

K1 Visa Process
26/10/2012 - I-129F sent
[A year of nonsense - sorry I never updated this part!)
13/10/2013 - Arrived in America
15/07/2014 - Recieved Green card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

What aprt of this step do you find confusing? There is some info in our Guides, but parts of this depend on which embassy you go to.

No need to change names.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Apologies - I'm from the UK, so I'll be handled by the US Embassy in London.

I think I've found the source of my confusion. I was thinking that I had to send my medical results along with my statement of readiness, but I see that this isn't so. So I guess my only question is: how will I know when to schedule the medical?

First I have to complete the Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, Form DS-230-Part 1. And send that off.

Then I have to compile all the documents they need, including police check, and send those off.

Then will they tell me to schedule the medical? And seeing as both the pysician AND the embassy want my police check, do I just take a photocopy or do I request 2 copies from the police check website?

K1 Visa Process
26/10/2012 - I-129F sent

I think I've found the source of my confusion. I was thinking that I had to send my medical results along with my statement of readiness, but I see that this isn't so. So I guess my only question is: how will I know when to schedule the medical?

First I have to complete the Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, Form DS-230-Part 1. And send that off.

Then I have to compile all the documents they need, including police check, and send those off.

Then will they tell me to schedule the medical? And seeing as both the pysician AND the embassy want my police check, do I just take a photocopy or do I request 2 copies from the police check website?

You'll get a letter from the Embassy with a case number on it starting LDN - this is the number you need to be able to book your medical. When it arrives, you call up the Knightsbridge doctors, quoting this number, and schedule an appointment. They send the results of this appointment to the Embassy prior to your interview. If you have already received a letter from the Embassy as the beneficiary, you likely already have this number on the letter they sent you. You'll need to put the date of the medical on the cover letter that you send with your DS-2001 readiness form.

You don't send any original pieces of evidence to the Embassy in advance - just forms. All the certificates etc. come with you in person on interview day.

You only need one police certificate - the medical will give back your original. Take photocopies with you.

This thread is very good. I recommend you read this, as it'll answer most of your confusions: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

First off come to the UK forum so you find the London questions and info.

And here's my answer to basically your same question about the order of things http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/?p=6254932

Read your instruction page again because it lists more than just the one form you said in your post. It does not say to send off your "documents". It says send "forms". Forms and documents are not the same thing. Forms are DS-xxxx.

It also says Click on "The Medical" on the left-hand Navigation bar for further information. And once you click on "The Medical", that page has a link for even more info in the right column, including the questionnaire you fill out and take to the exam. You are going to have to click a lot of links to learn the whole process because there are pages and pages of info.

The medical people give back your police certificate, so one is enough.

I didn't change my name and immigration has not cared. I kept my former husband's name even.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Many thanks everyone. I'm sure it's easier than I'm making it out to be - it's just a matter of getting over the excitement of recieving NOA2 and getting back down to business!

K1 Visa Process
26/10/2012 - I-129F sent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.