PhDSharp

Affidavit of Support: Full-time student working multiple jobs, in between jobs, and "proving" support

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi all,

I've looked at the affidavit of support page on Visa Journey, and I've tried to search the forums for answers before posting my questions here. If I've missed a help page somewhere with these answers, please just point me in the right direction!

A little background info that will hopefully make my questions a bit clearer:

• I'm a full time student, so I don't make a lot of money right now. In 2012 I was well within the required 125% of poverty level.
  • I often work 2-3 jobs to support myself.
  • At the beginning of 2013, I quit one of my part time jobs, and my current salary will not meet the 125% percept of poverty level. However, I will begin a new job the first of July. The money I make from that job will bring my income to 125% of poverty level for 2013.
  • If our VJ timeline is correct (and everything keeps moving along), I'm guessing my fiance's interview will be in October or November.

My questions:

1. Will it be a problem if I COMBINE income from different jobs to meet the 125% poverty level requirement? (On the support page on VJ, it states that along with my affidavit of support form, I need to include a letter from my employer, stating that I'm working FULL TIME for them. I do not work full time at any one job. I work one job 8 hours a week and another job 32 hours a week.) Do I include letters from both employers? The employer from whom I receive the most money?
  2. The position I will begin in July is a PAID internship. Will the fact that it's an internship be problem?
  3. What "counts?" Current pay stubs or last year's tax forms? Both? When my affidavit of support form is reviewed, what are they looking for? Last year (2012), my tax forms show that I made 125% of poverty level. Is that enough? Should I submit both a copy of the 2012 tax form and pay stubs from the job I'll be starting in July?
  4. If I start a new job July 1 and my fiance has his interview in October or November, will that be enough time for me to "prove" support?

Sorry for all the questions. If anyone else has been in a similar situation (working multiple jobs while still in school), I would really appreciate input! Thanks in advance!

13 February 2013 - Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockerbox by Express Mail
14 February 2013 - I-129F arrived at Dallas Lockerbox (according to the US Postal service confirmation receipt)
19 February 2013 - Payment check pending
19 February 2013 - Received text and email confirming application had been accepted and forwarded to the Vermont Service Center

14 June 2013 - I-129F Approved (I never received a text or email notification, even though I signed up for them.)

20 June 2013 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in the mail

24 June 2013 - NVC received our application

26 June 2013 - NVC forwarded application to the consulate in Stockholm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi all,

I've looked at the affidavit of support page on Visa Journey, and I've tried to search the forums for answers before posting my questions here. If I've missed a help page somewhere with these answers, please just point me in the right direction!

A little background info that will hopefully make my questions a bit clearer:

• I'm a full time student, so I don't make a lot of money right now. In 2012 I was well within the required 125% of poverty level.
  • I often work 2-3 jobs to support myself.
  • At the beginning of 2013, I quit one of my part time jobs, and my current salary will not meet the 125% percept of poverty level. However, I will begin a new job the first of July. The money I make from that job will bring my income to 125% of poverty level for 2013.
  • If our VJ timeline is correct (and everything keeps moving along), I'm guessing my fiance's interview will be in October or November.

My questions:

1. Will it be a problem if I COMBINE income from different jobs to meet the 125% poverty level requirement? (On the support page on VJ, it states that along with my affidavit of support form, I need to include a letter from my employer, stating that I'm working FULL TIME for them. I do not work full time at any one job. I work one job 8 hours a week and another job 32 hours a week.) Do I include letters from both employers? The employer from whom I receive the most money?
  2. The position I will begin in July is a PAID internship. Will the fact that it's an internship be problem?
  3. What "counts?" Current pay stubs or last year's tax forms? Both? When my affidavit of support form is reviewed, what are they looking for? Last year (2012), my tax forms show that I made 125% of poverty level. Is that enough? Should I submit both a copy of the 2012 tax form and pay stubs from the job I'll be starting in July?
  4. If I start a new job July 1 and my fiance has his interview in October or November, will that be enough time for me to "prove" support?

Sorry for all the questions. If anyone else has been in a similar situation (working multiple jobs while still in school), I would really appreciate input! Thanks in advance!

1.) Add up the incomes from all of your jobs and enter the total current annual income on the form. Letters from employers are not required, so you can use none, one or both.

2.) Since the internship is not a permanent job, the income may or may not be accepted by the CO.

3.) Both count, but current, ongoing stable income is the most important. Some consulates skip current income and only care about what was on your most recent taxes, however, most consulates go by current and not past income. Provide your most recent tax transcript plus most recent pay stubs from your jobs.

4.) It will be enough time to gather recent pay stubs.

If your income is questionable, you may want to have a co-sponsor lined up just in case.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Thanks, Jay-Kay! I appreciate your response.

13 February 2013 - Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockerbox by Express Mail
14 February 2013 - I-129F arrived at Dallas Lockerbox (according to the US Postal service confirmation receipt)
19 February 2013 - Payment check pending
19 February 2013 - Received text and email confirming application had been accepted and forwarded to the Vermont Service Center

14 June 2013 - I-129F Approved (I never received a text or email notification, even though I signed up for them.)

20 June 2013 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in the mail

24 June 2013 - NVC received our application

26 June 2013 - NVC forwarded application to the consulate in Stockholm

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Thanks, Jay-Kay! I appreciate your response.

Hi, how did things turn out for you?

I am on a fellowship abroad now ($30,000, but from June-May, so I am not sure yet if I can record all this as 2014 since I did get it as a lump-sum), and January - May I worked very little since I was finishing up my Master's thesis. I have no guaranteed job lined up when I get back in May/June, but I am sure that I will find one and be able to support us both by the time my fiance comes to the US. But, it would be best if he could interview before the I129F/Noa2/797 expires in June, BUT I won't have a current pay check to send with him. Any ideas?

Hi, how did things turn out for you?

I am on a fellowship abroad now ($30,000, but from June-May, so I am not sure yet if I can record all this as 2014 since I did get it as a lump-sum), and January - May I worked very little since I was finishing up my Master's thesis. I have no guaranteed job lined up when I get back in May/June, but I am sure that I will find one and be able to support us both by the time my fiance comes to the US. But, it would be best if he could interview before the I129F/Noa2/797 expires in June, BUT I won't have a current pay check to send with him. Any ideas?

The person you quoted hasn't been online in over a year.

For the affidavit of support you need proof of CURRENT income. You will need to submit some sort of proof of current income or assets (or a combination of both) to prove you are able to support your fiancé.

The NOA2 can be extended for up to one year. So even though it says it expires in June, you can actually have it extended. It is also usually extended automatically as long as the embassy knows you are pursuing the visa. This should at least ease your mind a bit so you can find work and get a few paychecks in before your fiancé's interview.

Edited by Zedayn

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.