DEHeart2Heart25

Starting the process...

15 posts in this topic

Hello, I am Elizabeth, I've just joined the site. I am just now starting the process for a K-1 Fiancee Visa, I've been printing out the forms, trying to collect evidence and, I am waiting for the G-325A form from my fiancee along with his photo and letter of intent. My biggest worry right now is evidence of our relationship, as we met on facebook, most our communication is on there. I am wondering if anyone thinks that our chats and messages, along with our private group posts will be acceptable as evidence of our relationship? I to do have other worries, as I am disabled, I've not been able to personally go see my fiancee. I am hoping that giving enough medical information this will be enough to have that wavered...? I will say that I am feeling very overwhelmed by the process, but it's so worth it! I just know more than anything I was US to be together and I am really trying hard to get everything that's ask for and done so in a manner that hopefully there won't be any delays. If anyone has any suggestions, or tips on the evidence part I would greatly appreciate any and all advice. I am new to this whole process and never have I dealt with US Immigration before in my life! Here's wishing everyone luck on their personal journey's smile.png

Filed: Timeline

1) Free to marry and

2) Having met within the past two years prior to filling out the application

are the two conditions to file a I-129F

Waivers are possible but I have heard that it is exceedingly high to acquire.

I'm afraid that you simply would have to go to him, him come here or you both meet at another location like Canada or Mexico depending where you are in the US.

Re FaceBook things, I am not sure it is acceptable as primary evidence but it is certainly has been used as secondary/support evidence.

There are many NaijaWives on here so you can get as much help as you need.

Hello, I am Elizabeth, I've just joined the site. I am just now starting the process for a K-1 Fiancee Visa, I've been printing out the forms, trying to collect evidence and, I am waiting for the G-325A form from my fiancee along with his photo and letter of intent. My biggest worry right now is evidence of our relationship, as we met on facebook, most our communication is on there. I am wondering if anyone thinks that our chats and messages, along with our private group posts will be acceptable as evidence of our relationship? I to do have other worries, as I am disabled, I've not been able to personally go see my fiancee. I am hoping that giving enough medical information this will be enough to have that wavered...? I will say that I am feeling very overwhelmed by the process, but it's so worth it! I just know more than anything I was US to be together and I am really trying hard to get everything that's ask for and done so in a manner that hopefully there won't be any delays. If anyone has any suggestions, or tips on the evidence part I would greatly appreciate any and all advice. I am new to this whole process and never have I dealt with US Immigration before in my life! Here's wishing everyone luck on their personal journey's smile.png

You must have *physically met* (and prove you have - via passport stamps, photos etc., and you can do so anywhere in the world) within 2 years of the petition being filed, and since there is nothing preventing your fiance from travelling (as far as your posts suggests), I don't imagine you'll get a waiver. It's unclear from your post, but you mention your disability which I assume for some reason prevents you from being able to travel easily, so he should find a way to make a visit. It's also unclear from your post who is where - are you the beneficiary or the petitioner?

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Can you produce doctor's letters that you absolutely CANNOT travel outside the USA? Not just cannot fly- you could go by boat. Not just cannot travel to NIgeria- you could meet in a third country that is closer to the USA/ has better medical facilities. Additionally, how many times has your fiance applied for a tourist visa and been rejected?

I only know of two cases where the meeting requirement was waived- the petitioner was unable to travel at all, even out of his state. and had proof this would not change, ever. The beneficiary tried for a tourist visa four times over 3 years and always got rejected. So, it is VERY difficult to get a waiver on this; you would be better off spending money and effort on meeting than trying to get a waiver which will almost certainly be denied and set you back months, maybe a year or more.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Thanks for all the input everyone, it's much appreciated, I am the petitioner by the way, I live in the United States, my Fiancee lives is in Nigeria. Without a lot of assistance it would be very, very difficult for me to travel by any means. My Fiancee and his family also follow strictly to Islamic belief and practice, I've tried to remain respectful on his beliefs as they are very important to him and his family. I do know that until a month before marriage it would be forbidden for us to meet! I greatly appreciate all the advice though, as I truly love him and want for us to be together. I will talk with him and see if there is anyway we could possibly meet. I am just now starting the process and I am learning as I go. I really am trying to do everything as required to avoid the delays, I certainly wouldn't want to cause a delay for a year or more. I truly hope something can work out for us. I am also so glad that I've found this site, it's great to have the support and to also see others personal experiences along their journey's.

Timeline

I have never heard of an Islamic sect where the couple cannot meet until a month before marriage (assuming a chaperone is present of course). If that is a strict rule, then the K1 fiance visa is out as the process takes many month AFTER you have met and filed. You may want to look into getting married when you meet and then file for a CR-1 spousal visa; this also has the advantage that it is slightly cheaper and if he gets approved, he can work in the USA right away once he arrives, and he can travel, should he be needed back home for a family emergency or similar.

In addition to not having met yet, it sounds like you have other red flags- it sounds like you are of differing religions, you being disabled- is there an age difference? This is not ONLY about the "meeting within 2 years. You are also going through the most difficult US embassy to get approved through. This will NOT be easy, no matter how much you love eachother, and 1 visit is the absolute minimum for a potential approval- it does not mean you will get approved. With a difficult embassy like Lagos, "face time" really counts, and your chances of approval are much, much better if you can spend serious time together- ie several weeks, if at all possible.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Are there things Your Fiancee isnt telling You

Dont know of any strictness in Islam here in Nigeria that forbids you both Meeting.

What Part of Nigeria is he from.

Is it that you are unable to fly or incapable due to your state.

Hopefully You can have an easier way to meet him, but i doubt his getting a Visiting VISA from Nigeria

The Consular Officer knowing the indepth reason why you are unable to travel down to Nigera

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Nigeria
I-129F Sent : 2011-06-08
I-129F NOA1 : 2011-06-17
I-129F RFE(s) : No RFE
RFE Reply(s) : No RFE
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-27
Interview: 2nd Week of January

Immigrant Visa rescheduled for second week of February 2012

Visa Refused on Immigration Purpose February 2013

We Got Married and Filed Spouse Visa

dancin5hr.gif Visa Approved in May 2013dancin5hr.gif

POE was Easy in June 2013

USA Citizen July 2016

Who cares to know how long My Visajourney was???

SSN Arrives on 07/01/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Aside from the waiver you are asking about to not meet. You only mentioned facebook. is that the only way you communicate.

Most of us going through Lagos do what is call Front-loading. Even a k1. Where are your:

1. Phone records

2. Emails, Chats, IM's, SMS

3. Skype (have you even seen each other yet online Live)...You would be surprised how many people haven't

4. How many times has he tried a visitor visa to come to you.

For Lagos a good 20 to 30 days together is vital to show you are getting to know each other. many of us meet online and meet and flew in and married. But we spent time together.

Also meeting the family is very very important to the culture norms and to show you are accepted. Not doing that shows you don't have a strong foundation.

Do you have affidavits from people from your family speaking to the bonafide of your relationship?

Have they meet your man online talked, wrote letters received letters, etc?

And the Islam rule you stated about not meeting one month before marriage. If that was even true how is it then okay an unmarried man and woman meeting up in US and you have to get married in 90 days.

Where is he going to live until you marry?

How are you planning the wedding? who's helping?

You also have to meet the poverty guidelines for your household number. Do you meet it or do you have a co-sponsor. If its just you two the amount is $19347 you have to make a year .

There's alot to this. But if you are disable and no way you can travel by land, sea or air and you can show he has tried his best to come to US. Than maybe just maybe you would be waived.

But seeing I see alot of red fags it will be a hard battle.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

When I was researching the initial K1 application, I thought I read that you could waive the requirement to meet if you could show it would have had extreme economic strain on both of you or if you can document satisfactorily that it is part of your religious beliefs that you can't meet. I didn't research further into how you would show that you have those religious requirements, and I don't know of any cases in which that was successful. But at least the government recognizes that as a legitimate reason.

We met when Heather travelled to Egypt to be an au pair!

Our K1 Visa Journey:

12/19/12- NOA1 -VSC

--- moved to "another office" 5/24/13

--- moved to "local office" 5/29/13

--- "is now being processed at a USCIS office" 5/30/13 ... what??

5/30/13- Transfer to TSC

6/18/13- NOA2

7/16/13- NVC Assigned Case #

7/29/13- Case Arrived at Embassy

7/31/13- Packet 3 Received (completed and sent back in 5 days)

1/16/14- Interview Assigned

1/21/14- Interview

2/03/14- Visa Issued!!

4/09/14- Entry into America (JFK)

4/23/14- MARRIED in local courthouse

4/29/14- AoS packet completed and mailed

5/02/14- NoA for AoS received

5/09/14- Biometrics Appointment Notice Received

6/04/14- Biometrics Appointment

7/30/14- EAD/AP Combo Card Received in Mail

Need help with your visa but don't want to pay expensive legal fees? Take an online course --> www.myvisaclassroom.com

Timeline

Here is where it talks about the two exceptions to the rule of meeting within 2 years, just scroll down and look under "eligibility requirements"

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=640a3e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=640a3e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Also, I used Skype and facebook as my primary evidence of ongoing relationship... I read that simply copying and pasting texts into a document was not good enough because you could easily fabricate all of that... So I made screenshots of select facebook message chats, picking a few from each month, making sure the date was visible.

I did the same with Skype, making sure that there were calls visible and the amount of time and the dates we spoke were visible, as well as any chatting we did by text on Skype.

You can use your snipping tool on your computer..

Our K1 Visa Journey:

12/19/12- NOA1 -VSC

5/30/13- Transfer to TSC

6/18/13- NOA2

1/21/14- Interview

2/03/14- Visa Issued!!

Need help with your visa but don't want to pay expensive legal fees? Take an online course --> www.myvisaclassroom.com

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Welcome to VJ. Please keep in mind you are dealing with one of the toughest Embassies in the world. You can't file for either one of the petitions without seeing your fiance first. Read the requirements please. If you can't visit your man for economic reasons. Let me tell you this VJ is not a cheap one, you will need to have some capital to go forth. There is a lot of expenses ahead you should be aware of such as traveling there, hotel and food expenses and gifts. This is beside fees associated with filing the petition, getting visa to Nigeria and etc.

It is recommended for you to visit few times first to get an idea what awaits for you ahead. Chatting with your loved one on fb or via yahoo is not the same as spending time with him face to face. With Nigeria you and your fiance need to prove that you are a couple this means the family, friends and neighbors need to co mingle with you and with him as well. Pictures and spending time with him beyond a week is a must.

In any process, time is of essence. I don't want to discourage you but I want to enlighten you about the difficulties ahead. Most people take about two years from start to finish to be together. It is difficult to have this long distant relationship and make it work from a far. TWO need to be committed and in it for the long haul.

If you are not able to travel due to health reasons, I would say it might be a good idea for you to contact and have a consultation with an immigration attorney for advice.

Since you are in the early stages, I would suggest first decide which petition you should file. Specially If you have many red flags such as age, religion, being over the child bearing years, race and etc.

If your man is Muslim, there are guidelines about you being with him physically and alone if you are not married, but I have not heard about meeting before a the month before marriage rule.

If you are to be married you will need to study a little about his religion and their ways. You could have an engagement with the Imam present and he would do the ceremony, which allows you to be with your fiance in person and be with his family and within his friends, but this ceremony is considered engagement until you consummate the marriage.

All in all, it is advisable for you to make the trip and see for yourself what is like to be among his surroundings, his culture, food, friends, family and his ways. Living in the USA is so different.

Good luck and I hope you study VJ and take time to learn as much as possible as to what it takes to start and finish this journey.

Taking immigration out of the picture, getting married to somebody whom you haven't met is scary. I understand that you may not be able to spend time together alone, but not having face to face time is just a recipe for disaster. Please, try to have some contact before you marry a man whom you've never met.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Timeline

I completely agree with everybody's sentiments that you SHOULD meet him. I definitely don't recommend marrying someone you have never met.

however, anybody offer evidence to correct me if I'm wrong, but you actually do not have to do that to go the K1 route.. It is usually a requirement but it can be waived for those two circumstances that I mentioned. As I said, I don't know how to go about doing that, but it says on the USCIS website that it can be done. Or am I reading that wrong?

Our K1 Visa Journey:

12/19/12- NOA1 -VSC

5/30/13- Transfer to TSC

6/18/13- NOA2

1/21/14- Interview

2/03/14- Visa Issued!!

Timeline

however, anybody offer evidence to correct me if I'm wrong, but you actually do not have to do that to go the K1 route.. It is usually a requirement but it can be waived

Technically, you are not wrong. In reality, it is 99.9% impossible- in all my years on here, I only know of one case that got approved (I listed that above), and have read of one more case. Trying for the waiver wastes money, time and emotional effort which would be better spent on meeting.

In addition, in this particular case, they are going through the most difficult US embassy there is to get approved, and there are other red flags which really can only be overcome with prolonged "face time"

mod penguin.jpg

Thank you everyone for all of your insight and advice, I don't take any of what you said lightly. I have gotten to him very well, I am truly in love with him and he's in love with me. We've had a lot of communication, we have talked on the phone, though most of our communication is online. I greatly appreciate the suggestion on taking screen shots, or using the snipping tool for messages/posts. I get there are many many steps and it's NOT going to be an easy process.. Hopefully there is a way things will work out for us though it may take us awhile to get there.... I am doing a lot of thinking on all that's been posted... I understand what a difficult journey this is for everyone and I wish each one luck. I am confident in proving my medical conditions, still I wouldn't want to cause delays. There are many things I will need to think on and discuss with my fiancee... I am praying that someday some how things will work for us, I will hold on to hope that we will get there one day.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.