ermacdude999

Marriage in Peru

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hey how are you?

I just found out that in order to make our deadline for the end of July, we will need to get everything to the municipality by June 3rd. Looks like FedEx will be the route, along with tons of rushing and a lot of work!

Any help would be appreciated.

Feel free to respond to this email inside the message, I will be able to see your responses. If you don’t want to, any format for your responses is welcome.

Steps we need to take immediately:

Foreign Bride:

Marriage:

1. Go to her local municipality and find out what the process is to marry a foreigner and start the process.

2. Go to her local municipality and find out what kind of class she needs to take for the ceremony. She is supposed to tell them that I can’t make it to the classes and that she may have to bring a family member?

3. HIV test results need to be in minimum 3 days before wedding. Court has clinics. Check into it.

4. Run publication in municipality recommended newspaper regarding the marriage one month before ceremony.

5. Have USC birth certificate, affidavit of single status, and maybe other documents translated and legalized by ministry of foreign documents in Peru. Anything else?

Visa:

1. Needs a complete history of her family. Where her dad and mom were born. What else does she need for her family history?

2. Needs a complete employment history. She has only had one job. What kind of records does she need?

3. Needs a police background check for visa requirement. Not every police station does this. Where does she get this? Does it have to be in her district or a certain place in Lima?

USC:

Marriage:

1. Find a power of attorney document or talk to a lawyer that will give Foreign Bride power of attorney.

2. Figure out a place where the prenuptial agreement outlining assets is going to fit into all of this.

3. ---

4. Make sure petition is ready to file before going to Lima to get married. When I get back from Lima I will be able to enclose the legal marriage certificate in the packet and send it off immediately to minimize delay of petition.

5. HIV test results need to be in 5 days before wedding. Court has clinics. Check into it.

6. Affidavit for single status. Word document found online will work. Maybe go to court and see if they have record of marriage. If none, then that implies I am single.

7. Make 10 copies of everything.

8. An original birth certificate.

9. Copied from another site: “If you're here on a tourist visa, you can't make a binding contract with your signature unless you have a 50$ permission to sign contracts which you get at Immigration in Brena.” – Not sure what this is exactly

10. Am I missing anything?

11. Do I need to do anything here at the consulate for Peru in Chicago?

Petition:

1. Copies of bank statements for last 6 months.

2. Copies of tax returns for last 3 years.

3. Figure out a way to get pay stubs, even though I am sole proprietorship and just transfer my paycheck into my bank account directly from other one.

4. Make 10 copies of everything.

5. Need to find out what else I am required to present for petition.

Also, some people said that there are all kinds of problems getting married in Peru and then having her come here. Have you heard anything like that?

The CR1 seems the safest most guaranteed way she will be able to come here.

Please let me know if I am missing anything. Thank you so, so much.

08-03-2013 - Married in Lima, Peru!

10-10-2013 - I-130 petition sent

10-15-2013 - NOA1

03-12-2014 - Notice of transfer to California Service Center from NBC

03-24-2014 - NOA2

04-03-2014 - NVC Received Case

05-09-2014 - NVC Case # Received

xx-xx-2014 - Pay IV and AOS invoices

xx-xx-2014 -

xx-xx-2014 -

xx-xx-2014 - Send in IV and AOS Packages

July 28-29 is Independence Day holiday, the entire week is government offices shutdown, as well as banks (but not all week).

Statement about binding contracts refers to commercial/business contracts I believe

Don't you need personal documents (birth certificate), passport, etc: translated and stamped at the Peru consulate?? Also, it is common to ask for a "official" translation, which means there is a designated translator. If this is done in Lima, it would cost you and it is probably not a same day service. I'd check if you can do that while in the US at the local consulate.

Not sure what you mean by a class to be taken at the municipality, Are you sure that is not for a church ceremony??

July in general is a slow time, schools are on vacation and many as well take time off.

Timeline

Thank you for your reply. Does anyone know if I can have the documents translated here at the local Peru Consulate in Chicago or if they must be done in Lima? I am going to have the documents all legalized here at least.

10-15-2013 - NOA1

03-24-2014 - NOA2

xx-xx-2014 -

xx-xx-2014 -

I don't think the consulate itself would translate, but might recommend someone (which might mean higher $$) and not necessarily that is has to be done with this person.

Hopefully someone with first hand experience will come up and answer on whether a translation done here will work (I know Peru well and authorities have the knack of changing the rules as needed, usually not in your favor). I've done translations and it was challenging at times, plus the cost; many seem to think all foreigners are rich!!

When I saw your post before, it stroked me that you noted "The CR1 seems the safest most guaranteed way she will be able to come here."

Many people have done it with K-1 that would not require all the rigmarole of getting marry there. The main reason people do CR-1 is to obtain GC at arrival, or when bride/groom is from a country (Peru is not) that has high fraud and high level of rejection to K-1s.

K-1s would cost a bit more total, and these days I see that there is longer delays than it used to be; but you might want to check process times on a CR-1 as well.

Hope all goes well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Thank you for your reply. Does anyone know if I can have the documents translated here at the local Peru Consulate in Chicago or if they must be done in Lima? I am going to have the documents all legalized here at least.

You need to have to documents translated in Peru. First you will get them translated and then they need to be taken to Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores to be authenticated (I believe the ministry has a list of approved translators posted).

Good Luck

Timeline

You need to have to documents translated in Peru. First you will get them translated and then they need to be taken to Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores to be authenticated (I believe the ministry has a list of approved translators posted).

Good Luck

Also, check with the municipality on whether you can sign contracts. Lots of that stuff is different from municipality to municipality. This goes for the other requirements for the marriage. Each municipality has different rules.

Also, FedEx is iffy in Peru. DHL I think is more reliable. No UPS. I always just mail stuff down. Does take about 2 weeks, though.

Edited by pachacuti

Timeline

Well hope FedEx is good because I just paid to have it overnighted to Peru and it should be there by Monday.

I ended up just having all the documents, except the certified ones with the raised seals, notarized. I had all of the documents legalized. I gave power of attorney to her mom which will have time to go and get everything translated and legalized again.

So what is the process after her mom gets the docs?

I let her know she should go to the municipality and ask them where and what she should do with all of them.

Do you guys have any ideas on where to go first? Legalize, translate, then legalize? Which offices should she go to? She is going to Lima. Thanks.

Going CR1 route because i have 3 marijuana convictions from a while ago and I dont want to supply docs or take a risk of denial. I know as long as its not AWA I should be fine, but I dont want to risk it.

10-15-2013 - NOA1

03-24-2014 - NOA2

xx-xx-2014 -

xx-xx-2014 -

Timeline

Well hope FedEx is good because I just paid to have it overnighted to Peru and it should be there by Monday.

I ended up just having all the documents, except the certified ones with the raised seals, notarized. I had all of the documents legalized. I gave power of attorney to her mom which will have time to go and get everything translated and legalized again.

So what is the process after her mom gets the docs?

I let her know she should go to the municipality and ask them where and what she should do with all of them.

Do you guys have any ideas on where to go first? Legalize, translate, then legalize? Which offices should she go to? She is going to Lima. Thanks.

Going CR1 route because i have 3 marijuana convictions from a while ago and I dont want to supply docs or take a risk of denial. I know as long as its not AWA I should be fine, but I dont want to risk it.

On docs from the US, you pretty much follow this path:

1. Get document from official source (go for the version with the most authentication possible. They often have choices for "use for paperwork abroad" or something similar")

2. Do one of the following:

A. Get an apostille from the Secretary of State in the state where the office source is.

- or -

B. Send the document to the Consulate that has jurisdiction over the location of the official source

* to know which path to follow, contact both the consulate with jurisdiction and the Secretary of State in the state in question. In my situation getting a document from Thurston County, Washington State, got an Apostille from the Secretary of State's office. The Peruvian consulate in San Francisco was never involved.

3. Get an approved translator from Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores.

4. Have document translated.

5. Have document authorized by the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores

6. Present the document to the authority in question (in your case, the municipality)

As I mentioned before, each municipality does things differently, so you have to check with the municipality in question. Usually it is something like:

1. Pay for a folder to open a marriage case

2. Follow the instructions in the folder, gathering each piece of documentation and carrying out each action indicated.

3. Once completed, take the folder with everything done, back to the municipality for approval.

4. Once approved, schedule the actual ceremony.

5. Once the ceremony is complete the marriage will be put on file.

6. Depending on the municipality, the marriage may be automatically entered into RENIEC. If not, you will need to obtain an official copy of the marriage certificate and take it to RENIEC to have it entered. The embassy will either want to see the marriage certificate of a RENIEC-affiliated municipality or they will want to see the registration of your marriage with RENIEC. Find out from the municipality in question which one it is.

Timeline

On docs from the US, you pretty much follow this path:

1. Get document from official source (go for the version with the most authentication possible. They often have choices for "use for paperwork abroad" or something similar")

2. Do one of the following:

A. Get an apostille from the Secretary of State in the state where the office source is.

- or -

B. Send the document to the Consulate that has jurisdiction over the location of the official source

* to know which path to follow, contact both the consulate with jurisdiction and the Secretary of State in the state in question. In my situation getting a document from Thurston County, Washington State, got an Apostille from the Secretary of State's office. The Peruvian consulate in San Francisco was never involved.

3. Get an approved translator from Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores.

4. Have document translated.

5. Have document authorized by the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores

6. Present the document to the authority in question (in your case, the municipality)

As I mentioned before, each municipality does things differently, so you have to check with the municipality in question. Usually it is something like:

1. Pay for a folder to open a marriage case

2. Follow the instructions in the folder, gathering each piece of documentation and carrying out each action indicated.

3. Once completed, take the folder with everything done, back to the municipality for approval.

4. Once approved, schedule the actual ceremony.

5. Once the ceremony is complete the marriage will be put on file.

6. Depending on the municipality, the marriage may be automatically entered into RENIEC. If not, you will need to obtain an official copy of the marriage certificate and take it to RENIEC to have it entered. The embassy will either want to see the marriage certificate of a RENIEC-affiliated municipality or they will want to see the registration of your marriage with RENIEC. Find out from the municipality in question which one it is.

Thank you so much for your reply! It is helping us so very much! Really appreciate the advice!

10-15-2013 - NOA1

03-24-2014 - NOA2

xx-xx-2014 -

xx-xx-2014 -

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.