sarah and hicham

Morocco- occupation on passport

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello,

My fiance is very concerned about what his "occupation" says in his passport. He is in the process of filing for his passport. He is taking English classes and is currently unemployed... they would not let him put "student" in his passport because he is not a full time student at a University, just a part time Englsh student. He is looking for a job and will hopefully be working soon. Should he wait until after he works some to be able to put his occupation in his passport? Does it look bad if it doesn't say anything for his passport? His Dad is now telling him that since it will say nothing they're going to send him off into the military (family is always so helpful!!). For those of you who have gone through Morocco could you let me know about your fiance's passport and whether this will affect him getting his Visa? Thanks, hopefully I wrote this somewhat clearly so that you can understand it to some extent.

Sarah

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have heard that about the military as well -- putting unemployed on the passport is a flag for being called up IF they are young.

Twila

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

I don't know for sure, but I can tell you that the CO didn't ask Majid about his work, past or present. He wasn't working at the time of the interview, although he did have "technico commercial" written on his passport and ID card.

It's strange how fixed a job is there, that it even goes on your ID card. I think it reflects a different attitude towards work in general.

Sharon

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Filed: Timeline

Abdel had "unemployed" on his ID card and passport and had no problems at all. Of course, he is 38 so I can't tell for sure about the young.

Abdel says that it takes time for the military to ask for him, so if he has his interview scheduled soon, it is not too likely that he will get called to the military, but yes, he says it does happen. I'd recommend not getting a passport with unemployed on it until close to the interview time.

My husband was working but his passport still had "student". He was asked about his job at the interview, and I have heard of other men being asked. I do think employment weighs in their favor, although I don't think unemployment necessarily has a negative effect.

As far as the military, it is very easy to get out of if they do call him up, so I would not worry much about it.

Rebecca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I would tend to think that it would not make a huge difference if he had there or not since he can't continue his occupation here. In any regard, this is why you have to provide 3 years worth of taxes and also show that your income is enough for both of you.

My fiance is self-employed so he can't really show income either. So what I concentrating on my job and my finances to be able to show that I can take care of him if he is unemployed. I think they mostly want to make sure that people don't come here and apply for welfare/govermnet aid, blah blah blah.

Sarah it sounds like your fiance and mine share some of the same concerns which is so tough to deal with sometimes.

Jordanian Princess

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes it does sounds like we have a lot in common- so let me ask you this: My fiance and I speak in French and he does not speak English well enough to have his interview in English. We have emails that we have both written in French so I think that would help. Do you think it will really matter if he does it in French and not English? He would feel much more comfortable doing it in French.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I think that some of the job requirements for the jobs in various embassys require them to speak several languages. I would think it would be fine for him to have his interview in french as long as there is someone available at the time of your interview. I think you can usually let them know in advance that you will need that accomodation.

My fiance and I are both fluent in english and arabic, so i am lucky. I think the important thing is that you show you can communicate. I think in another post i talked about my cousin getting a visitor visa, well she actually got married in the states too :lol: but she had her interview on Tuesday and she doesnt speak english at all, so she broght her sister with her to do the translating. i don't know if that works in the Middle East.

Jordanian Princess

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Adnan's passport said unemployed. no problem for him.

as for the language issue, I think what they really want to know is how you and he communicate, so as long as you can verify that the 2 of you can conversein french it shouldn't be a problem.

good luck

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Other Timeline

Sarah to be sure I'm understanding you....this has nothing to do with what they ask on the interview it's the passport process correct?

If so, then there is a small chance that he will be questioned on it in the government office (NOT DURING THE INTERVIEW - i'm talking solely the passport process). My husband told me he was fortunate because he renewed his passport while he was still a student. He told me the same thing that had he not been a full time student, there was a small chance they would call him to the military HOWEVER. You can "pay your way" if it does come up or if you "know someone in government." Try not to worry too much though because unlike here in the states there are more people trying to get into the the military than not because of the unemployment rate.

It's also a good thing that he is a part-time student.

Yes it does sounds like we have a lot in common- so let me ask you this: My fiance and I speak in French and he does not speak English well enough to have his interview in English. We have emails that we have both written in French so I think that would help. Do you think it will really matter if he does it in French and not English? He would feel much more comfortable doing it in French.

Majid and I speak in French. He speaks some English, so he answered a few questions in English and then the interviewer used a translator and switched to French. All our emails and letters are in French as well. The language shouldn't be a problem; the interviewer will ask how you communicate, and you have evidence of that with the emails.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband was asked about his occupation every step of the way. His passport says "sports instructor." He is a 6th degree martial arts master. At the interview, the consular asked about his profession and also told him to bring back his certificates and photos of him with his students. He also wanted to see his passport stamps where he had traveled in Europe and Asia. My husband seems to think it is very important that there be some sort of profession on the passport, but it seems there are several on here for whom it has not made a difference.

It seems like a complete crapshoot... even with the same CO, people get questioned on very different things. How frustrating for those trying to prepare for the interview. :wacko:

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.