Brenda2010

Canadian Passport Renewal from US

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So Question: my passport will expire next year. I am now a US citizen with a us passport. Is there any reason why I should renew my Canadian passport? I have no family left in Canada alive, just friends from back home. My last trip to Canada was 2010. I was thinking of renewing just one more time as we now have the 10yr passport available but seriously $260!!! That makes me really mad.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No not really!! Unless your going to visit some other country that makes it beneficial to have a CDN passport.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

So Question: my passport will expire next year. I am now a US citizen with a us passport. Is there any reason why I should renew my Canadian passport? I have no family left in Canada alive, just friends from back home. My last trip to Canada was 2010. I was thinking of renewing just one more time as we now have the 10yr passport available but seriously $260!!! That makes me really mad.

One way of saving passport fees is if you are at home visiting and renew your passport at a passport office at the same time. Of course this would only save you money if you were already planning a visit. It’s a pain in the butt to do the non-simplified form which would be required if your passport remains expired for too long.

Timeline

Proof of Canadian citizenship in the event of a zombie invasion? :)

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

For some, the Canadian passport is really useful... you can have your birthplace omitted (not possible in the American passport), so the country you are visiting wouldn't know (at first glance) about your other citizenship. I plan on keeping mine - the same way I've been renewing my European passport.

• 1 month later...

question: In Canada when they deliver the passports, you have to sign for it from the mailperson. Does this happen when it's delivered in the US as well?? If so, what if the person isn't home? Do they send it to a local post office?

My daughter is just getting ready to renew her passport and was wondering

question: In Canada when they deliver the passports, you have to sign for it from the mailperson. Does this happen when it's delivered in the US as well?? If so, what if the person isn't home? Do they send it to a local post office?

My daughter is just getting ready to renew her passport and was wondering

They just left it in my (locked) mailbox - I had to renew my Canadian passport in December, delivery was this January (2013).

They just left it in my (locked) mailbox - I had to renew my Canadian passport in December, delivery was this January (2013).

Hmmm......... they don't have a locked mailbox. Their mailbox is at the road, in between 2 others

Hmmm......... they don't have a locked mailbox. Their mailbox is at the road, in between 2 others

I don't know what's going to happen then... or if they changed the way they delivered it with the new passport, since they increased the fees so much. But, when I get mail that needs a signature (when I'm not home), I just have to go and pick up at the post office; it is not too complicated.

I don't know what's going to happen then... or if they changed the way they delivered it with the new passport, since they increased the fees so much. But, when I get mail that needs a signature (when I'm not home), I just have to go and pick up at the post office; it is not too complicated.

okay, thanks. I know that's how it works for us in Canada and just wondered if it were the same in the US. She's never had anything that requires a signature, since she's been there. Guess we'll find out. It's just a bummer that she has to have it sent to the US.

She's close to the border and we have a passport office in our city, but can't stay here in Canada once she applies for it, waiting for the new passport to come in. Anyone know if she applies within Canada, can she go back to the US and then come back into Canada to pick up her new passport?

okay, thanks. I know that's how it works for us in Canada and just wondered if it were the same in the US. She's never had anything that requires a signature, since she's been there. Guess we'll find out. It's just a bummer that she has to have it sent to the US.

She's close to the border and we have a passport office in our city, but can't stay here in Canada once she applies for it, waiting for the new passport to come in. Anyone know if she applies within Canada, can she go back to the US and then come back into Canada to pick up her new passport?

She can't get across the border without a passport so it's highly unlikely. The only other option may be to pay extra for next day service?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Anyone know where to get the "in lieu of guarantor" form? I won't be back to Canada anytime soon, and i have no one i know that has a Canadian passport for over a year that also has known me over two years. I'm kinda estranged from my family and my mom doesn't even know what a passport is and i wouldn't trust my sister with a kitten.

I also changed my name so i'm assuming Canada wont let me renew it in my maiden name either, even though that would be easier. I'm also really ticked about the freaking price..So i'm going to have to do mine late what with the baby being due soon.

HWDWm6.png

I did it... Went to Canada for a few days, stopped by the Passport Service Center - came back to the USA using my Nexus card and Green Card. Would work with one of those Enhanced Driver's Licence too... I'm not sure about pick up at your Passport office, but there is an extra fee in Montreal if you plan to pick it up.

My wife's passport will expire soon. Does anyone know if she can apply for a passport renewal at a passport office while in Canada and then have it mailed to the states? The standard wait time when applying at a passport office is 10 days and most of our trips don't last that long. I'm not interested in paying the expedite fee. We'll just apply by mail if neccessary.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.