Clegane

A Question About Customs

46 posts in this topic

I'm going to try and get a school enrollment for after my trip, Along with my cellphone bills and proof of living with my parents, Along with my previous tickets from my last visit showing that I returned on time. How much should one pack for a 2 month stay without looking suspicious I was given a hard time because I brought a bunch of luggage..

For a guy, a pair of jeans, a t-shirt and a change of underwear should suffice. laughing.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've only visited her once before, And that was during April when I was over there for 3 weeks. Like I said in my previous post I plan on going back this july. I was pulled into secondary on my first trip "The one in April" And that trip has been my only time in the US. I guess that might be my only option then, I might try going for 4 weeks and see how that turns out. I plan on bringing stronger ties when I go and I probably will since i've most likely been flagged. Do they usually tell you if you've been flagged or not?

If that was your very first trip to the USA, it's no wonder you were pulled into secondary. My fiance's first entry into Canada, he was pulled into secondary and asked questions etc. though he wasn't fingerprinted. They just want to have information in their system so that next time you enter they can see if the information you give them is consistent with what they have on record.

A round trip ticket is definitely a place to start as it shows you plan on returning. You live with your parents and that can be a tie to Canada too as you have family.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm going to try and get a school enrollment for after my trip, Along with my cellphone bills and proof of living with my parents, Along with my previous tickets from my last visit showing that I returned on time. How much should one pack for a 2 month stay without looking suspicious I was given a hard time because I brought a bunch of luggage..

School ties are good because when they ask what do you do, you can say "I'm a student". For a two month stay, two big suitcases should be fine? I'm assuming you'll be doing laundry ;). I think you'll be fine. Answer their questions honestly and never give more information than they ask for and always give direct eye contact. You're not doing anything wrong, so don't give them the impression that you're trying to get away with something.

That being said, every border guard is different and it can be at their discretion to let you in or not.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Filed: Timeline

Thanks a lot guys, I'll try my luck at 5-6 weeks. If it goes well i'll try for 2 months my next visit. Thanks alot and if you guys have anymore tips or suggestions be free to post them. I'll be monitoring the thread occasionaly!

Thanks again guys, Feels nice to have this pressure lifted off my shoulders. I know the chances of me being denied are always there but atleast I know I have a pretty good chance of getting in.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Bit late to this party, but I figure I would chime in with my two bits. I work with a lady whose husband is a border guard on the US/Canadian crossing, and she's provided some useful tips.

- Keep your answers direct, prompt, and short. The guard will ask if he wants more information.

- Maintain eye contact. Try to smile and be relaxed but professional.

- Know the contents of your trunk in case you are asked.

- If the border guard asks to look through your luggage, don't panic. It's a routine request at times. You may receive a few questions, answer honestly.*

- Evidence of connections to Canada is ideal, and can include:

-- Round-trip airline ticket/transportation arrangements

-- Lease or mortgage

-- Bank statements

-- Bills (especially utilities or cellular phone)

-- Letter of employment or academic enrollment, even if an application is process

-- Evidence of assets in Canada, e.g., home, boat, etc.

*At one point, I was crossing the border to attend a convention (steampunk, if anyone is interested). I had two suitcases loaded with a rather elaborate costume, boots, corset, floofy skirts and all designed by my Canadian best friend, and a pile of writing materials since I write in the genre. The border guard immediately questioned why I had all this stuff for a two day stay. I smiled, explained I was going to an event with costumes, and the skirts alone would've taken up half a suitcase. He let me on my way after a fascinated look around and, to date, he's one of the only border guards on the US side I've ever seen laugh.

For your case, just be at ease with yourself. You're going to visit your girlfriend in the US for a mini-break, and then you're home to carry on with life. Plenty of people take gap years, experience unemployment, or might not have the means, desire or funds for school. :)

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If that was your very first trip to the USA, it's no wonder you were pulled into secondary. My fiance's first entry into Canada, he was pulled into secondary and asked questions etc. though he wasn't fingerprinted. They just want to have information in their system so that next time you enter they can see if the information you give them is consistent with what they have on record.

A round trip ticket is definitely a place to start as it shows you plan on returning. You live with your parents and that can be a tie to Canada too as you have family.

This is, unfortunately, not a tie at all.

A round trip ticket is fantastic though.

• Bank statements showing that you have finances in canada

• Notices of obligations you need to return to

• Simple bills such as cell phones or even larger ones like car loans

• Taking a rental car? It's gotta come back.

• Taking your parent's car? I'm sure they'd want that back too.

Staying for a long time without solid ties is risky and you should always be prepared with a backup plan if you are denied.

Backup as in, how am I getting back home kind of backup plan.

If you are denied, do not immediately attempt to cross again the next day, they can see that.

oldlady.gif

Hey there guys, I've decided that I'll be going for 4 weeks in July. I visited in April for 3 weeks and was pulled into secondary for a few extra questions and then sent on my way. Sure I was photographed and fingerprinted at the little box where the customs officer sits at but I think going for an extra week i'll be fine. I plan on bringing cellphone bills, a return ticket, and possibly a future school enrollment. How much money would one need in there account for a 4 week stay? I'll be staying at her parents place with her and we'll probably go out and eat or even drive and see some things.

Also a few more questions

-How would I go around showing that i'm enrolled into school?
-My girlfriend is going to be returning with me after my visit is over. "Aka she'll be booking the same return flight as me and coming down to visit me here for a month" Can I show that as a tie back too canada? and if so how?
-Could I print up a lease saying that i'm living with my parents and that I Pay 100$ a month for rent? "Even tho i'm jobless"
-Could I make it just on the fact that i'm 21, Unemployed, Only going for 4 weeks and have previously visited her before and returned on time.
-Could I show them bills or even letters sent too me from my current place of living?

Thanks guys, I'll be trying my luck for 4 weeks and hopefully I can get in without too much of a hassle.

Yet again, thanks and i'll be visiting the thread daily!

Up at the top of the page you will see your name. Click on the down arrow and “my content”. There you will find all of the threads you have participated in. The ones with new content will be highlighted in blue if I remember right.

That’s the easy way to find your stuff instead of bumping.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there guys, I've decided that I'll be going for 4 weeks in July. I visited in April for 3 weeks and was pulled into secondary for a few extra questions and then sent on my way. Sure I was photographed and fingerprinted at the little box where the customs officer sits at but I think going for an extra week i'll be fine. I plan on bringing cellphone bills, a return ticket, and possibly a future school enrollment. How much money would one need in there account for a 4 week stay? I'll be staying at her parents place with her and we'll probably go out and eat or even drive and see some things.

Also a few more questions

-How would I go around showing that i'm enrolled into school?

-My girlfriend is going to be returning with me after my visit is over. "Aka she'll be booking the same return flight as me and coming down to visit me here for a month" Can I show that as a tie back too canada? and if so how?

-Could I print up a lease saying that i'm living with my parents and that I Pay 100$ a month for rent? "Even tho i'm jobless"

-Could I make it just on the fact that i'm 21, Unemployed, Only going for 4 weeks and have previously visited her before and returned on time.

-Could I show them bills or even letters sent too me from my current place of living?

Thanks guys, I'll be trying my luck for 4 weeks and hopefully I can get in without too much of a hassle.

Yet again, thanks and i'll be visiting the thread daily!

Don't make up fake leases they're useless. Been there done that.

I think only you can figure out how to prove you're in school. Schedule? Bills from school?

Print a copy of your girlfriend's flight booking.

Yes, bills in your name where you live are good.

oldlady.gif

Don't make up fake leases they're useless. Been there done that.

I think only you can figure out how to prove you're in school. Schedule? Bills from school?

Print a copy of your girlfriend's flight booking.

Yes, bills in your name where you live are good.

So with all that information are my chances okay?

We can't tell you. Honestly. None of us are CBP officers. Try. What's the worst that happens? They say, dude, go home and you're out the money for the flight.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your chances are far better with it, though, than without, if that helps smile.png .

An offer of enrollment or a confirmation of enrollment in school would probably provide sufficient evidence of your returning to Canada for school. If you drive and have your own car insurance that would be a financial tie. If you have any upcoming appointments that have been scheduled - medical, dental, etc. - then that at least indicates plans to return,albeit not strong ties. A letter of invitation from her parents that specifies the dates that you intend to be there (eg from June 2 to July 5th, etc.) along with the statement that their daughter is planning to visit Canada with you when you return, and here is a copy of her flight information and itinerary along with a similar letter from your parents stating you are visiting xxx from date a to date b and they have invited your girlfriend (show name) to visit them for xxx weeks after your return would add some further credibility to your intentions to return. It shows that both families are aware of the relationship, support the relationship and expect the two of you to return to your respective homes after the visits.

You may be asked what your 'plans' are, or they may even be quite direct and ask you if you are planning to get married. You should answer honestly that you are engaged and intend to file for a K-1 visa and plan to get married after you get the visa, or that you have no intentions of getting married for a while yet even though you are engaged, things like that - whatever honestly reflects your relationship intentions.

Good luck..

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.