Bugs

Official Documents for Interview and Beyond

25 posts in this topic

As we await for our NOA2 approval of the I-129F petition, my fiance is in the process of obtaining the following 4 documents:

1. Birth Certificate from NSO

2. Certificate of No Marriage Record from NSO

3. NBI Clearance Certificate (green form)

4. Police Record from Taiwan (she was there for a year)

She also is getting her passport renewed, as it will expire early next year.

I understand the embassy keeps all the originals except the passport, and other agencies will also want originals, so my question as she obtains these documents is this:

How many original certified copies of each should she have to cover the entire process from the medical/interview all the way through CFO, then EAD/AOS, and removal of conditions 2 years later (and still have one copy for keep of course)?

I'm guessing just one of the NBI and the Taiwan police clearance will do, as they won't be needed after the interview, and maybe two of the CENMAR (for the interview and for the CFO), and several of the birth certificate?

She might as well get all the copies she will need now so as to save time and extra trips later. So if any of you can give us an exact number needed of each, that would be very helpful.

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes the embassy will keep the originals. For CFO they want to see originals but will keep copies. And its a good idea to get a few extra of the NSO birth certificate to bring stateside.

There is a link in my signature for the K-1 visa process, including info on CFO.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Yes the embassy will keep the originals. For CFO they want to see originals but will keep copies. And its a good idea to get a few extra of the NSO birth certificate to bring stateside.

There is a link in my signature for the K-1 visa process, including info on CFO.

Thanks. Sounds like I figured correctly for the birth certificate and CENMAR then. Does the CFO need to see the originals of the NBI clearance and/or Taiwan police clearance?

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As we await for our NOA2 approval of the I-129F petition, my fiance is in the process of obtaining the following 4 documents:

1. Birth Certificate from NSO

2. Certificate of No Marriage Record from NSO

3. NBI Clearance Certificate (green form)

4. Police Record from Taiwan (she was there for a year)

She also is getting her passport renewed, as it will expire early next year.

I understand the embassy keeps all the originals except the passport, and other agencies will also want originals, so my question as she obtains these documents is this:

How many original certified copies of each should she have to cover the entire process from the medical/interview all the way through CFO, then EAD/AOS, and removal of conditions 2 years later (and still have one copy for keep of course)?

I'm guessing just one of the NBI and the Taiwan police clearance will do, as they won't be needed after the interview, and maybe two of the CENMAR (for the interview and for the CFO), and several of the birth certificate?

She might as well get all the copies she will need now so as to save time and extra trips later. So if any of you can give us an exact number needed of each, that would be very helpful.

birth certificate - I would suggest to request atleast 5 or more

CENOMAR - 2. for interview and CFO

NBI - 1 or 2 for the embassy and CFO (as CFO may also require NBI clearance)

Police Clearance from Taiwan - yes she will need that. however it states here it is valid for 6months so you have to verify as well http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9776 . And also, better to request for it as early as now, since for some,, it takes weeks to months before they receive it if requested from other countries.

Passport - yes. better have it renewed now so that it has another 5 yrs validity,

birth certificate - I would suggest to request atleast 5 or more

CENOMAR - 2. for interview and CFO

NBI - 1 or 2 for the embassy and CFO (as CFO may also require NBI clearance)

Police Clearance from Taiwan - yes she will need that. however it states here it is valid for 6months so you have to verify as well http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9776 . And also, better to request for it as early as now, since for some,, it takes weeks to months before they receive it if requested from other countries.

Passport - yes. better have it renewed now so that it has another 5 yrs validity,

Actually, I researched all the expiration dates. The police clearance from Taiwan is good as long as she does not return to Taiwan anytime after the date listed on the clearance. The tables you linked are in regards to visas issued in that country, not certificates obtained from that country for visa applications. If it were only 6 months, then it would be too early to obtain it now, but it isn't, so I can indeed get it now.

Do you think the CFO will need a copy of the Taiwan police clearance too, or is just 1 enough (for the interview)?

The NBI expires in 1 year. So we should be okay there.

Passport needs to be valid for 6 months after date of interview, so that's why she has to renew it now.

Birth Certificate doesn't have an expiration. I couldn't find any info on CENMAR, but I'll assume getting it now is okay.

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

Timeline

Actually, I researched all the expiration dates. The police clearance from Taiwan is good as long as she does not return to Taiwan anytime after the date listed on the clearance. The tables you linked are in regards to visas issued in that country, not certificates obtained from that country for visa applications. If it were only 6 months, then it would be too early to obtain it now, but it isn't, so I can indeed get it now.

The NBI expires in 1 year. So we should be okay there.

Passport needs to be valid for 6 months after date of interview, so that's why she has to renew it now.

Birth Certificate doesn't have an expiration. I couldn't find any info on CENMAR, but I'll assume getting it now is okay.

that's good. your fiancee can now request for the police clearance and not worry about the exp.

I would suggest to get the NBI and CENOMAR when you think NOA2 is coming. even if the others would say CENOMAR is good for 6 months, NSO updates their record on file every month. so if your fiancee gets cenomar this month, the date of record that will reflect on her cenomar would be April 2013. so by the time you will have interview, it won't be that fresh anymore. NBI is valid for 1 year. but i still suggest to get a fresh copy to present during the interview. but that's up to you now if you would get it early

i havent heard /read any about CFO requesting for the police clearance from abroad

Edited by Robb&Ann

Timeline

If you want to play it safe and if you can request for 2 police clearance from Taiwan, then get 2 copies.. atleast it will lessen your worries about what CFO might ask later, since CFO can be demanding if they want..i have been reading several threads about CFO but i haven't read any about them requesting for police clearance from abroad.but i do read about police clearance and nbi being requested for CR1 filers with their previous names / AKA's

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

In my experience, I only got 2 NSO birth certificates. One for my K-1 interview & one for my own record. For all my immigration paper works from AOS upto citizenship, I got by with just sending photocopies of my birth certificate & never had a problem doing so. The only time I needed 2 more certified copies of BC was when I decided to petition for my parents which we didn't really originally plan in doing.

But if your girl wants to have multiple copies of her BC then that's fine.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks. Sounds like I figured correctly for the birth certificate and CENMAR then. Does the CFO need to see the originals of the NBI clearance and/or Taiwan police clearance?

As of yet have never heard of CFO asking to see an NBI... and we are keeping mum on this so they don't get anymore crazy ideas. happy.png

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

As of yet have never heard of CFO asking to see an NBI... and we are keeping mum on this so they don't get anymore crazy ideas. happy.png

i hope so. but i have been reading threads where the beneficiaries were being asked to provide NBI.. it could either be because they have no other IDs or just because CFO just want to..NBI has been asked even before... whether single or married... some might not be asked but some were also asked..so better to ready

Timeline

There are instances when the Filipina/Filipino don't have ID's aside from the passport. So an NBI will be accepted as another ID. They want to see the original NBI & will ask for a photocopy only.

Edited by let-it-be

There are instances when the Filipina/Filipino don't have ID's aside from the passport. So an NBI will be accepted as another ID. They want to see the original NBI & will ask for a photocopy only.

Wouldn't the birth certificate accepted as a second ID in addition to the passport? How many IDs do they need lol?

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

Timeline

Wouldn't the birth certificate accepted as a second ID in addition to the passport? How many IDs do they need lol?

2 valid IDs.. BC as second ID? depends on them... here, usually request for atleast a govt issued ID or that NBI to verify the info on the BC if they match.. also govt issued IDs has ur pic on it. the BC don't...lol.. so for them to see if it is really you, they need to see ur ID and look at the info on it if it matches on the BC..so just be ready to avoid delays..bring whatever you have and whatever u think CFO will ask out of the blue..as they can be a pain in the bum...

Timeline

As what the other poster have posted, a birth certificate is not a valid photo ID. A birth certificate is a supporting document if one has to apply for a photo ID.

Timeline

As what the other poster have posted, a birth certificate is not a valid photo ID. A birth certificate is a supporting document if one has to apply for a photo ID.

exactly. even when applying for govt issued ID, they need our BC..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.