Kubey Jr.

Definitely worried about I-134 Affidavit of Support

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Scotland
Timeline
I have made what I reckon to be quite a big mistake......I sent the original I-134 Affidavit of Support and it's supporting documents to the Embassy before the interview appointment...I also gave them a certified birth certificate and police certificate.....It all got put into a big package with the DS-230 Part I & II, DS 2001, DS-156, DS-157, DS-156-K....it was a huge package.

I've read on here that they...

1) Want the I-134 Affidavit of Support and it's supporting documents on the day of the interview...and that they will not accept copies?...that, they want the originals in ink with ink signatures?

I'm worried about this rather a lot.

1) Will they have shredded these documents because they were sent at the wrong time?...or will they have been put into a dossier?....how much space do they have in their filing cabinets for each case's dossier?

It seems like such a stupid mistake but it was sent off in good faith and I believed I was doing the right thing at the time...I just can't see them letting me in with the copies or having that amount of thick paper in my dossier...I dread the situation where I have to say to the person at the hatch / glass..."ah, well...I sent the originals with the other forms"..

..this is maybe where i'm starting to get a tad pessimistic about it all...but so far things have gone wrong all along the way...except for the very first part when the I-797 Approval Notice arrived in USA..that part went fine......but things went badly wrong after that when the first Embassy letter never arrived and the time ran out on the I-797 Approval Notice....they got me to do a notarized letter of intent just about 2 weeks before the I-797 Approval Notice expired.
Edited by Kubey Jr.

In my interview letter it tells me to bring all original documents and a plain photo copy. So it seems they need the original papers at the interview. Best thing to do is call the embassy and ask them what they can do for you. Bet your not the first one that did this so they won't look strange when you call them about it.

Timeline

Thanks..........it seems odd that they also hand out a photocopy of the Vaccination Documentation Worksheet at the medical....you know which has a signature on it....and, they want to see that upon change of status...but it's a copy too...i've read that copies have no power........maybe there's different criteria for that though..... with it being a medical copy?.....it just doesn't make any sense though...

Thanks..........it seems odd that they also hand out a photocopy of the Vaccination Documentation Worksheet at the medical....you know which has a signature on it....and, they want to see that upon change of status...but it's a copy too...i've read that copies have no power........maybe there's different criteria for that though..... with it being a medical copy?.....it just doesn't make any sense though...

In reply to your first post--you are not the first person to do this in London. Your documents will be in your folder. Hopefully you have photocopies of the original documents you want back. Take them for the file and they will return your originals. Or you can pay $1/page for them to copy for you. If you sent alot of extra stuff, they wont want it anyway and will give it back...things like relationship evidence. The important thing you might want back is the birth certificate. You won't need the police certificate after the interview. If you sent original W2 or bank statements, you might want those again for Adjustment of Status.

Have you been on Visa Journey since last year and never found the UK forum with lots of K1 tips that could have prevented some of your problems. There's even a copy of the letter you didn't get. This thread might still be useful to you http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/

They won't send you away. Tell the person at the document window your things were mailed in already so she can locate them. Meanwhile go over the London instructions on the website and make sure you have everything they ask you to bring (unless you mailed it all). Do check this list in case there is something else.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Many Many thanks for writing back Nich-Nick!.....very much appreciated!...I appreciate the calm and sensible reply.

..thank you for the link......do you reckon that its changed at all from when you were there for your interview in 2008?.....I've heard that the number of people wanting a K1 has increased a lot over recent years....

....i'm bound to form new things to worry about though.... cause seem to be a bit like that!....*laughs*.....but i'm a lot calmer than i was.

Many Many thanks for writing back Nich-Nick!.....very much appreciated!...I appreciate the calm and sensible reply.

..thank you for the link......do you reckon that its changed at all from when you were there for your interview in 2008?.....I've heard that the number of people wanting a K1 has increased a lot over recent years....

....i'm bound to form new things to worry about though.... cause seem to be a bit like that!....*laughs*.....but i'm a lot calmer than i was.

Yes, a lot has changed but I keep up with the changes and the experiences, so everything in that link is pretty current except the link in post one for the police certificate changed, but was corrected. You learn more specifically about London of you will ask in the UK forum.

I forgot to answer the other question you brought up about photocopies. Never send an original of anything for this whole immigration process unless it is the application form that you signed or perhaps a letter like from an employer, or intent to marry from your fiancé. That would be appropriate to have the one that had the real signature on it. If there is ever a need to provide an original document like birth certificate or marriage certificate, it will be at an interview. ( US Passport applications require originals, but that's not part of the immigration process. That's your option if you become a citizen and want to travel. )

Concerning the photocopy of the immunization worksheet you were handed by Knightsbridge...the original goes with 3 other medical sheets straight to the embassy. Those are in you file. The entire file is sent to you along with your passport and visa. But the file is sealed and marked "Do Not Open". You turn it over when you enter the US. It goes to the National Records Center. When you apply for AOS, it is requested from storage to add to your AOS file. Your original immunization sheet has remained in a chain of custody. That's the one that would count for AOS if all your shots were completed in the UK, not your photocopy. Or you may need to see a civil surgeon in the US to update your shots. In that case, he also seals the form in an envelope which is mailed sealed with your AOS forms and documentation.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Yes, a lot has changed but I keep up with the changes and the experiences, so everything in that link is pretty current except the link in post one for the police certificate changed, but was corrected. You learn more specifically about London of you will ask in the UK forum.

I'm sorry bit of a misunderstanding there.....i didn't mean about your link....I meant about the physical space for each case......how big is the folder that they have for each case is what i mean....how big is the filing cabinet for example...and has that changed since 2008......i mean how much space do they have there....and do they have certain criteria for if they run out of space...do they start shredding things.....it would have to be well, if it was a cardboard folder for example it would be bursting full of paper because the amount i sent them was huge...we're talking about a very big pile of paper. It would need more of some kind of a box.

the reason i avoided the forums for so long was because i felt it was not a good place to go for information because there seemed to be conflicting and contradicting information.....which meant you just didn't know who or what to believe. I felt that was exacerbating the stress.

i did however use other parts of the site often that looked like they were reliable.

i will say this though.....i struggle greatly on the telephone....i have a phone phobia of some sort....my voice actually completely stopped working the last time i phoned them.....and I've found the entire thing very confusing at times... ....it got so bad that i got very desperate and decided to come in here..... but very glad i did and that i bumped into you.

I'm sorry bit of a misunderstanding there.....i didn't mean about your link....I meant about the physical space for each case......how big is the folder that they have for each case is what i mean....how big is the filing cabinet for example...and has that changed since 2008......i mean how much space do they have there....and do they have certain criteria for if they run out of space...do they start shredding things.....it would have to be well, if it was a cardboard folder for example it would be bursting full of paper because the amount i sent them was huge...we're talking about a very big pile of paper. It would need more of some kind of a box.

the reason i avoided the forums for so long was because i felt it was not a good place to go for information because there seemed to be conflicting and contradicting information.....which meant you just didn't know who or what to believe. I felt that was exacerbating the stress.

i did however use other parts of the site often that looked like they were reliable.

i will say this though.....i struggle greatly on the telephone....i have a phone phobia of some sort....my voice actually completely stopped working the last time i phoned them.....and I've found the entire thing very confusing at times... ....it got so bad that i got very desperate and decided to come in here..... but very glad i did and that i bumped into you.

We don't know what kind of filing system they have because we haven't been in their back rooms. I seriously doubt they have filing cabinets for applications. More like boxes full of files boxes sat on the loading dock waiting their turn. Then maybe something else for those that are pending interview. They don't keep files forever. At an interview, extraneous stuff is given back. Then the pertinent documents are passed to the immigrant when the visa/passport are returned, to take to the US and turn in at POE. So there is a constant flow in and out.

Nobody knows what they will do with your extraordinarily large file. Tie it up with a bungee cord?? If you sent tons of relationship evidence or even took it to the interview, London would probably not look at it. It is super EXTREMELY rare for London to care about photos, Skype, phone calls, love letters, trips, engagement rings, etc.

Your questions are London specific now because your K1 petition is done. If you want any more answers from me, post them in the UK forum. Organize your thoughts and ask. You other posts are all fractured and confusing and some you didnt respond back to. UK forum is here. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.