Mags

GP/Medical records

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

When you moved to the USA from the UK how did you transfer your medical records over?

Did you get everything copied and then take it over yourself, or were you allowed to take the actual notes with you (rather than copies)? Or did the GP in the USA request them directly from the UK once you registered with the new practice?

Any info will be appreciated! :)

If you have enough of a record that you want to transfer, you can ask them to copy it, though I think they charge a fee. I don't think they are able to release the original notes. The US quack won't usually ask for your old records but will go through your medical history when you first see them. I skipped getting my records, and just typed up a brief history for my new doc.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Timeline

I tried to get a copy of my records as I had only just had major surgery when I came over.... I was told thay are not allowed to give you a copy but any Doctor here in the USA can request any information they need from the doctor or your medical authority where your medical notes will be stored for 10 years from the date you leave the UK...

They told you a load of #######. Every patient has the right to access their records and have copies. I can't remember where I read it, but I will dig it up at some point.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Timeline
Every patient has the right to access their records and have copies. I can't remember where I read it, but I will dig it up at some point.

Yes, I thought that was the case too. I used to work for the NHS and any patient has the right to at least read their medical notes.

Edited by mags

Looks like you're entitled to get a copy of your medical records (although you may have to pay for it) under the Data Protection Act (they have to respond within 40 days - sounds like a similar process to getting a police certificate...) - according to this (from NHS Direct), anyway.

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Timeline

If you are in the UK and cane go and read or get copies then you are fine..... try getting a copy by mail when you cant go in with ID and collect the copies there and then..... I tried to get copies mailed to be but as I could not prove who I was all I could do was request the information be sent to my doctor here in the US.... oh and she gave me a complete copy for free once she recieved it....

Timeline
If you are in the UK and cane go and read or get copies then you are fine..... try getting a copy by mail when you cant go in with ID and collect the copies there and then..... I tried to get copies mailed to be but as I could not prove who I was all I could do was request the information be sent to my doctor here in the US.... oh and she gave me a complete copy for free once she recieved it....

I guess they are just being security conscious, which I can understand. Pain in the ####### though for you...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.