laura428

Getting drivers license and car insurance in US

8 posts in this topic

Question for those who have been through the process and are now living in the States... how difficult was it to get your drivers license and car insurance once you arrived?

I never thought this would be a problem, but my husband was told by the DMV last week that he would need a credit card and a utility bill with his name on it before he could get a license. We're in the process of doing a global transfer on his Canadian AMEX, so the credit card shouldn't be a problem. But we won't have a utility bill for a while as we're staying with my grandmother until we find a house (probably a month or two). We'll hopefully get cell phones as soon as we get there, as long as that doesn't present it's own problems, so we're hoping this would suffice... what has everyone else's experience been?

And with car insurance... I just applied online to Geico. Although I was initially given a great rate, I was emailed a few days later, informing me that they could not insure me because I didn't have enough revolving credit history. ?????? Are there certain companies who will work with newly arrived immigrants? Are we going to pay ridiculously high rates for a while simply because we're new to the country? (Well, I'm not, of course, but have been gone long enough that I might as well be for credit reasons, apparently.) We both have perfect driving records (and have our driver abstracts going back five years)... so what do we do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks?

April 24, 2000 - Met in an online chat room

May 26, 2000 - Met in person

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

March 2001 - My permanent resident status is approved in Canada

April 28, 2001 - Married in my hometown, South Bend, IN

May 2, 2001 - Crossed Canadian border and finalized my landed immigrant status

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

March 8, 2006 - I-130 approved in Calgary

March 21, 2006 - Received approval letter and Packet 3

April 17, 2006 - Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

April 20, 2006 - Packet 3 received by Montreal

July 6, 2006 - Received Packet 4

September 8, 2006 - INTERVIEW and APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Each state differs when it comes to drivers license, some require a written test, road test, while others it is a simple exchange of drivers licences. in VA I just simply handed them my Cdn drivers license, exchanged for a USA 1, no testing. Check out DMV.org I did have to take an Utility bill. One has to show proof of residence to that State.

For auto insurance, one just has to call around. Initially we were with State Farm. They could obtain my Cdn driving record, and was simply added to my wifes policy. Were now with USAA, but to join that, someone in ur immediate family must have had military service. Best to just sit down,and phone away, check out progressive Insurance, State farm, I'm sure there are many more. BEst of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Go to http://www.dmv.org and click on your state in the USA and it will go its requirements. I know in Alabama the rules are they can only go to the one office for the whole state, take the written test and then try to get road test and only so many applicants from foreign countries are allowed each day. They must arrive at 5:30 am and get in line so when the door's open at 8:00 am they are within the days quota.

You must have passport, birth certificate, copy of car registration if you take the road test, and your immigration papers.

When you are added to the car it depends on the insurer. They want a copy of the new drivers license and immigrant paperwork. While you have learners permit you cannot be added as insured to the auto insurance but are covered as long as you have the registered driver in the car and you have your permit.

Good luck,

Mary

PS all I stated is for Alabama and our experience.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

i would suggest Statefarm as well (at least to start). the local office said they would not accept my driving record from home but I knew differently and had him send it in with the application to head office. he had quoted me $1,500 (same as home and this is small town!) but when i got my policy, the premium was only $1,020.

k

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

As others stated it really depends on the state where you live ... The info I am giving you is in regards to Illinois as that is where we live ...

For the DMV I didn't bring in a utility bill I just brought in one of our bank statements with both my and my wife's name on it ... The gentleman at the DMV didn't have a problem with that ... I only had to do the written exam as the gentleman told me that they don't make canadians do the driven test as long as they have a valid canadian drivers license ... I did find it intresting that he never took my BC drivers license as it was my understanding that they take it once they issue one for the state ...

As for the insurance my wife called her insurance company (State Farm) and all the lady needed was my Canada drivers license and she was able to bring me up on her computer and see my driving record etc ... She added me to my wifes insurance so that I was allowed to drive our car ... I am not sure if it would be different if it was the non USC trying to insure a car ... Our rates didn't go up after adding me ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For a driver's license in New Jersey, you must have plenty of proof of identity as well as your address. But you don't have to do the road test, only the "written," which is on computer.

For the first 6 months of insurance, I paid through the nose with Progressive Direct and when it came up for renewal, got Geico at half the cost. Six months was enough to start building a good driving record here. No one was interested in my Ontario history.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Car insurance with USAA was pretty painless -- Jerry reports that they asked "What is your wife's name and social insurance number?" and I was added. They also asked for my driver liscense, but Jerry explained why I didn't have one yet, and they were cool with it, just asked that we call in with the number once I received it. I was covered immediately with no change in rates.

Oklahoma requires people that entered using a K-1 visa to have proof of residency, ie. a green card (which results in a DL that's valid for a couple of years, or in some cases, some offices have given a DL when shown a valid EAD card, but the DL is only valid as long as the EAD card is valid (ie. a year or less). Since I had a current Canadian DL that they confirmed with the Canadian peeps, I was only required to fill out a form, take the vision test, and hand over my NS liscense.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Thanks everyone. I checked Indiana's DMV site (where we're headed), and found it to be much more helpful that the person who spoke with my husband over the phone. Seems getting our drivers licenses won't be a problem.

Insurance will be interesting. Since we're both living outside of US borders, there's no policy to just add him to, so we'll have to call around. My parents have used State Farm for years... talked to them earlier and they're going to have a chat with their agent to see if he can help us out. Fingers crossed. :)

April 24, 2000 - Met in an online chat room

May 26, 2000 - Met in person

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

March 2001 - My permanent resident status is approved in Canada

April 28, 2001 - Married in my hometown, South Bend, IN

May 2, 2001 - Crossed Canadian border and finalized my landed immigrant status

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

March 8, 2006 - I-130 approved in Calgary

March 21, 2006 - Received approval letter and Packet 3

April 17, 2006 - Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

April 20, 2006 - Packet 3 received by Montreal

July 6, 2006 - Received Packet 4

September 8, 2006 - INTERVIEW and APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.