Rob & Rachel

Need some advice, PLEASE!

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sorry for the wall of text, but this is a crazy and complex situation, and I don’t think there is any shorter method of explaining it.

I applied for my K1 visa for my fiance back in october of last year... and then the long wait, and the delays.... The desperation started to set in....Looking for a way to be together sooner....

I thought, instead of her coming here, what if I could go there? It was a silly idea, it’s really hard to get a work permit for china, but I thought, “Why not? I can’t do anything else but wait.”

So I applied for one job, with the expectation that it was a long shot, most companies won’t do Z visas, and with my age, and skills, it didn’t seem likely. Then the first interview...Then the second... and now I’m expecting an offer...

And then then they started moving stuff along at the CSC... And an approval could come soon...

So, do I take the job, or not?

But Wait! There’s more:

This job is a great opportunity, career-wise. The pay doesn’t compare to the US, but It’s good for China. Plus it would give me the opportunity to live there, see another country, etc... an opportunity that would probably never come again. And I’d probably need to go soon...

Although we still want to come back to the US later, and get married in the US, so she can take my name.

We’ve spent hours discussing the options, and here’s what we’ve come up with:

1. Don’t take the job and wait (not the best option)

2. Take the job and do a CR-1 later, when we are ready to return:

- wait for the K1, use the visa to come to the US and get married, then return to china.

But if we do this, could it jeopardize the CR1 later?

Also, can the K1 be approved if I’m out of the country?

- Cancel the K1, and come on a tourist visa later to get married (this is kind of a pain in china)

The CR 1 option is attractive, because I could file it at the consulate, which would be a lot faster, and we could leave together, the only concern there would be establishing domicile if I’m there for a long time.

Really not sure what to do at this point... Too many things happening at once.

If there are any other ideas, I’m happy to hear those as well!

SHARE THIS VIDEO to promote the USCIS delays!

4csw0ipgr.png

3dsnctxul.png

l4xsj7w8h.png

keepcalm.giftimeline.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Quick questions, why must you marry in the US? If you want to move to China, why not just marry in China instead?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Quick questions, why must you marry in the US? If you want to move to China, why not just marry in China instead?

Good luck

:thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Good luck

My thoughts exactly. You are over complicating this sitation with your desire to get married in the U.S. You say "Although we still want to come back to the US later, and get married in the US, so she can take my name." .. I´m pretty sure she can take your name no matter where you get married. I don´t know how it works in china, maybe they don´t recognize the name change, but when you move to the U.S you can have her name changed there.

I'm the beneficiary.

USCIS
02/05/13 - Sent I-130 to Chicago Lockbox
02/14/13 - I-130 delivered
02/19/13 - NOA1 email, routed to NBC smile.png
03/29/13 - NOA2! (38 days from NOA1)
04/03/13 - Shipped to NVC

NVC
04/09/13 - NVC received
04/17/13 - Case number and IIN received
04/17/13 - Sent DS3032 email
04/23/13 - AoS fee invoiced and paid
04/24/13 - Resent DS3032 (Supervisor review), accepted within the hour

04/25/13 - IV fee invoiced

04/30/13 - IV fee paid

04/30/13 - IV and AOS packages sent together

05/02/13 - Packages delivered

05/13/13 - Expedite request sent

05/14/13 - IV packet accepted

05/16/13 - Expedite granted

05/21/13 - Case sent to embassy

Embassy

05/24/13 - Case arrived at embassy (according to DHL)

05/29/13 - Case arrived at embassy (according to embassy) Interview date scheduled!

06/05/13 - Medical

06/14/13 - Interview - APPROVED!

07/22/13 - POE Atlanta

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Finland
Timeline

I'm not sure I understand your reasons for needing to be married in the USA, since your marriage in China will still be recognized in the USA later and you can do a name change at any time once you return to the USA. But ok, you say it's necessary to marry in the USA.

Then you CANNOT do this:

- wait for the K1, use the visa to come to the US and get married, then return to china.

But if we do this, could it jeopardize the CR1 later?

Also, can the K1 be approved if I’m out of the country?

Without abandoning the beneficiary's K1 status and AOS -- fiance needs to remain in the USA after marriage until at least the Advanced Parole comes through (3-4 months). In addition the fiance needs to maintain residency in the USA for the permanent green card down the road -- visits to China would be fine, but moving back for more than six months-a year throws the whole thing out the window.

I suppose you could marry in the USA after the K1, then leave entirely and drop the whole process abandoning any AOS at all -- and start ALL OVER AGAIN by filing a CR1 ... but that seems like needless wait and horrendous fees and paperwork when you can get married ANYWHERE YOU WANT.

Your K1 can be approved while you're VISITING out of the country, but not residing. You will need a US mailing address at the very least and ways to get any mail that is sent to you. Beyond that, once you're to the embassy stage, it doesn't matter where the US citizen is, the visa is given to the fiance in China.

Sorry if everyone here is telling you the same thing ... it's just that we can't understand the need for a USA wedding when it is far simpler to do it elsewhere.

Relationship since April 2006

K-1 Visa: I-129F filed November 6, 2012, NOA2 May 17, 2013, Interview and Approval July 24, 2013

POE San Diego, September 13, 2013, Wedding October 25, 2013

AOS filed November 19, 2013, EAD/AP received January 30, 2014, interview and AOS Approval on February 27, 2014.

ROC filed December 3, 2015, NOA1 12/4/15, Biometrics 12/31/15, ROC Approval on June 16, 2016, 10-Year Green Card received June 22, 2016.

N400 filed September 14, 2023, same day acceptance and Biometric Reuse notice, Interview on 2/13/24: Passed and same day oath. ALL DONE WITH USCIS.

No RFE at any stage, thanks to VisaJourney!

Detailed Timeline Below!

Relationship:
2006 April 01: Met online, music site, 2007 February 20: Met in person, Finland, 2007 - 2012 met several times in Finland and California

K-1 Visa:
2012 November 06: Sent I-129F (NOA1 on 11/9/2012)
2013 May 14: Contacted Congressman
2013 May 17: I-129F NOA2 Approved
2013 June 03: NVC Received (NVC left 6/6/13)
2013 June 10: Consulate Received, 2013 June 13: Medical, 2013 June 25: Sent Packet 3/4
2013 July 24: Interview in Helsinki, 2013 July 27: Visa Received
2013 September 13: POE to USA, San Diego

AOS:
2013 October 22: SSN Received
2013 October 25: Wedding, San Marcos, CA
2013 November 19: AOS, AP, EAD sent (NOA 1 on 11/22/13)
2013 December 17: Biometrics, San Marcos, CA, 2013 December 24: Online status changed to Testing/Interview

2014 January 23: Interview notice mailed (for 2/27), 2014 January 24: EAD card production, AP approval (card received 1/30/2014)

2014 February 27: Interview and Approval, GC in production (card received March 6, 2014)

ROC:

2015 December 03: mailed I-751 package

2015 December 04: NOA1 extension letter, 2015 December 31: Biometrics appointment

2016 June 16: Approval - Online status changed to Document Production, mailed 6/20/16

2016 June 22: 10-Year Green Card Received, done with USCIS for a while!

N-400 Citizenship:

2023 September 14: filed N-400 online

2023 September 14: same day acceptance notice and "Biometrics Reuse" notice

2023 December 28: notice of interview scheduled for February 13, 2024

2024 February 13: naturalization interview (five-year rule) passed, same day oath - now a US Citizen and done with USCIS!

Timeline

I'm not sure I understand your reasons for needing to be married in the USA, since your marriage in China will still be recognized in the USA later and you can do a name change at any time once you return to the USA. But ok, you say it's necessary to marry in the USA.

Then you CANNOT do this:

Without abandoning the beneficiary's K1 status and AOS -- fiance needs to remain in the USA after marriage until at least the Advanced Parole comes through (3-4 months). In addition the fiance needs to maintain residency in the USA for the permanent green card down the road -- visits to China would be fine, but moving back for more than six months-a year throws the whole thing out the window.

I suppose you could marry in the USA after the K1, then leave entirely and drop the whole process abandoning any AOS at all -- and start ALL OVER AGAIN by filing a CR1 ... but that seems like needless wait and horrendous fees and paperwork when you can get married ANYWHERE YOU WANT.

Your K1 can be approved while you're VISITING out of the country, but not residing. You will need a US mailing address at the very least and ways to get any mail that is sent to you. Beyond that, once you're to the embassy stage, it doesn't matter where the US citizen is, the visa is given to the fiance in China.

Sorry if everyone here is telling you the same thing ... it's just that we can't understand the need for a USA wedding when it is far simpler to do it elsewhere.

Thanks Lynkali,

I suppose I need to explain my reasoning more, as it's causing some confusion. First of all, if we went the route with the K1, we would only use it as far as going to the US, get married, and return to China, simply because it's easier than getting her a travel visa.

Also, the cost wouldn't be that much different than what we would already spend. A CR-1 is around ~$1000, and so is the AOS, so I'd have to spend the same money either way.

Lastly, marriage in the US is purely emotional reasons that go back to the beginning of the relationship. Not getting married in the US would be like asking the bride not to have a ring. If I'm willing to do the extra expense to have the wedding here, then there is a big reason why I want to do it that way.

So my questions are more about the best way to do it, given the possibilities I've outlined.

Thanks!

4csw0ipgr.png

3dsnctxul.png

l4xsj7w8h.png

keepcalm.giftimeline.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Folk do come in on the K-1, get married,

then the couple move back to the other country,

live together for years,

then file for IR-1 visa when the USCitizen Spouse is ready to move back to USA.

Is done often, no big deal.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Folk do come in on the K-1, get married,

then the couple move back to the other country,

live together for years,

then file for IR-1 visa when the USCitizen Spouse is ready to move back to USA.

Is done often, no big deal.

That's Really helpful to know!

Though, Can I complete the process if I'm already there before her interview?

Thanks! :D

Edited by Rob & Rachel

4csw0ipgr.png

3dsnctxul.png

l4xsj7w8h.png

keepcalm.giftimeline.gif

Timeline

what process? pardon - be specific ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

what process? pardon - be specific ?

Well, assuming I get NOA2 fairly soon, I could already be in China and have a residence card. Could she still get approval at the K1 interview if I'm now residing in China?

Thanks!

Edited by Rob & Rachel

4csw0ipgr.png

3dsnctxul.png

l4xsj7w8h.png

keepcalm.giftimeline.gif

Timeline

there are many factors governing K-1 visa approval in Guangzhou.

One of them is the I-134.

I suggest you study that form, have a think about it.

Timeline

there are many factors governing K-1 visa approval in Guangzhou.

One of them is the I-134.

I suggest you study that form, have a think about it.

Yes, and that's where I'm concerned where I would no longer have domicile, since I would be in China by then. I wonder if explaining the situation to the consulate, would be enough.

4csw0ipgr.png

3dsnctxul.png

l4xsj7w8h.png

keepcalm.giftimeline.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.