whitby10528

section

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

i have received 2 speeding tickets during the 10 years i have lived in the US. one was knocked down to driving without a seatbelt and the other was knocked down to parking out of alignment with the kerb. i am now applying for citizenship. under section 10, covering criminal record, am i expected to mention these? do they qualify as a 'crime or offense'?

thanks in advance for your help!

Filed: Timeline

so i've been reading this site since i posted my question, and found the quote below:

Here's what the Guide to Naturalization says:

Even if you have committed a minor crime, USCIS may deny your application if you

do not tell the USCIS officer about the incident. Note that unless a traffic incident was

alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and

incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine less than

$500 and/or points on your driver’s license.

can anyone tell me where in the Guide this quote comes from?

many thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It's directly in the N-400 instruction sheets. The key issue is not these minor offenses, but whether you paid the fines or not.

In our state, if you don't even pay a five buck parking ticket, police will come over and take your driver's license and the license plates off that vehicle along with a real huge additional fine.

Would save a lot to time and delays if they would simply say, if you had minor traffic violations, bring in proof you paid those fines. All depends on what kind of harda$$ you get for an IO.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We listed my husband's two traffic tickets (speeding and red light camera) on the N-400 form. Even though both fines were under $500.00, we have paperwork showing that he paid the fines and cleared both violations through traffic school. He will be taking that paperwork to his interview in 3 weeks.

pkyxguryrufud.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i have received 2 speeding tickets during the 10 years i have lived in the US. one was knocked down to driving without a seatbelt and the other was knocked down to parking out of alignment with the kerb. i am now applying for citizenship. under section 10, covering criminal record, am i expected to mention these? do they qualify as a 'crime or offense'?

thanks in advance for your help!

Be honest! Make sure you let them know about it on the form and you can clarify it at the time of your interview. Just bring proof of all fines being paid and it should be ok.

Edited by FlipgalRN

Our Naturalization Journey (Detailed timeline in About Me section)

01/14/2013 Mailed N-400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox
01/18/2013 N-400 fees check cashed
01/18/2013 NOA Received (Biometrics appointment)
02/04/2013 Early Biometrics (Original date 02/14/2013)
02/07/2013 Status changed to in line for interview
02/13/2013 Received 2nd NOA (Interview scheduled)
02/15/2013 Received yellow letter from USCIS to bring DL
03/18/2013 N-400 Interview

03/20/2013 Status changed to in que for Oath ceremony
03/29/2013 Status changed to Oath ceremony scheduled and letter sent

04/01/2013 Received Oath Letter
04/09/2013 Oath Ceremony (N-400 completed in 2 months 3 weeks and 5 days)

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I know this was a point of confusion for my husband as well when he completed the forms. I want to say he checked yes on one of the items, but it was because he received a ticket for speeding. When the IO reviewed his form with him at the interview, she told him he should have chosen 'no', but still provide the documentation at the interview. She said when people check yes, they think you have hit and killed someone with your car, or some other serious offense. Those boxes are to be like red flags. They corrected his form in the interview and changed the response to no.

AOS (from VWP)Application Removal of Conditions Timeline Naturalization Timeline
12/28/2009 Sent I-130,I-485,I-765 02/25/2012 Sent out I-751 via USPS to VSC 01/15/2013 Sent out N-400 via USPS to Dallas, TX
03/24/2010 AOS Interview APPROVED!!! 10/24/2012 RFE 04/03/2013 Naturalization Interview - Passed!
04/05/2010 Greencard arrived!! 01/03/2013 Approved! Card production ordered! 05/15/2013 Oath Ceremony - Kyle is a US Citizen!

***Detailed time line in my About Me page***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.