Dani89

K-1 Visa Begins!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My partner and I got engaged while we were traveling around NZ. He is from the UK and I'm American. I just sent of the petition on April 2nd and got a letter two days ago saying that my case has been approved and has been sent to the California department for processing. This feels like the beginning of a very long process @_@

How long did it take you to get this first half processed?

Luckily my partner was able to come visit the states with me while we get this started. He's here until July 1st. I'm hoping that's enough time for the petition to go through. I've got a ticket to go back with him. I'm hoping to stay in the UK for just under 6 months while we both finish up the K-1 visa (hopefully I can also attend the interview with him), and plan our wedding together! I'm really nervous about this as I have an extensive history of traveling to and fro from the UK as I did live there for 5 years. I will also be staying for almost 6 months so that's sure to raise alarm bells as well. I already had such a jerk of an immigration officer last time I entered the country and that was just for 3 weeks!

I'd hate to have to spend all that time apart and plan the wedding from across the ocean. The whole process really weighs me down sometimes.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

My partner and I got engaged while we were traveling around NZ. He is from the UK and I'm American. I just sent of the petition on April 2nd and got a letter two days ago saying that my case has been approved and has been sent to the California department for processing. This feels like the beginning of a very long process @_@

Luckily my partner was able to come visit the states with me while we get this started. He's here until July 1st. I'm hoping that's enough time for the petition to go through. I've got a ticket to go back with him. I'm hoping to stay in the UK for just under 6 months while we both finish up the K-1 visa (hopefully I can also attend the interview with him), and plan our wedding together! I'm really nervous about this as I have an extensive history of traveling to and fro from the UK as I did live there for 5 years. I will also be staying for almost 6 months so that's sure to raise alarm bells as well. I already had such a jerk of an immigration officer last time I entered the country and that was just for 3 weeks!

I'd hate to have to spend all that time apart and plan the wedding from across the ocean. The whole process really weighs me down sometimes.

I-129F/fiancé(e) petition is running over 7 months at CSC currently, while that might change a little bit, you are looking at close to that until you go on to the next stage providing there are no further requests for evidence, etc

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Hey and congrats on your recent NOA1!

You should expect ur NOA2 to come around 6-8 months after you sent your petition ( so around october) and then you will be able to schedule your fiances medical and interview which usually takes 2 months tops at London. So you should expect to have your visa in hand roughly around January.

Hope this helps!

Also if you fill out your time line then Visa Journey will give you a rough approximate of when this will be!

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

I'd say from petition approval (NOA2) to interview in London is going to take 2 1/2 to 3 months minimum if you are well-prepared and have your ducks in a row in advance. All times can change depending on the workload at the various points along the way.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Just thinking, with all the traveling around that you're planning, don't forget that you'll have to show that you can support him, financially, so you'll need to be gainfully employed in the US (or have a co-sponsor).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

If your nervous about entry into the UK bring your NOA1 to show that you have petitioned for your Fiancé to immigrate into the US

Timeline

Thanks everyone. Am I able to go to the UK with him before the NOA2? I do have the NOA1! :) so far so good.

My parents are co-sponsoring us so I'm not too concerned with the financial situation, I would have them file the appropriate forms and have bank statements etc.

How did all of you arrange your wedding dates? It's difficult when you can't know for certain when you may get the visa. We are hoping January will be the date!

Timeline

Thanks everyone. Am I able to go to the UK with him before the NOA2? I do have the NOA1! :) so far so good.

My parents are co-sponsoring us so I'm not too concerned with the financial situation, I would have them file the appropriate forms and have bank statements etc.

How did all of you arrange your wedding dates? It's difficult when you can't know for certain when you may get the visa. We are hoping January will be the date!

We did exactly the same thing you are doing. We were in Australia together for a year and then i went to the US for 90 days with her. That's when we filed. Then she came here in October and has been here since. They gave us no issues when we came back. (We explained that we had applied for a visa so we could settle in the US). We even went out of the country in December for a week and came back.( she got another 6 months) Again, no issues. Just explained the situation to them.

We also had her Mum sponsor us.

Don't stress too much. Make sure you go to the passport control desk with him,though!!! It helps a lot!!

We are having a court wedding with just us two and then doing a full ceremony later in the year when my family can go. It's impossible to plan anything in this process. :wacko:

Timeline

We did exactly the same thing you are doing. We were in Australia together for a year and then i went to the US for 90 days with her. That's when we filed. Then she came here in October and has been here since. They gave us no issues when we came back. (We explained that we had applied for a visa so we could settle in the US). We even went out of the country in December for a week and came back.( she got another 6 months) Again, no issues. Just explained the situation to them.

We also had her Mum sponsor us.

Don't stress too much. Make sure you go to the passport control desk with him,though!!! It helps a lot!!

We are having a court wedding with just us two and then doing a full ceremony later in the year when my family can go. It's impossible to plan anything in this process. :wacko:

So she was able to go to Australia before the NOA2?

I can always have my parents forward me the NOA2 if it comes while I am away. It just really sucks spending time apart, especially as you both just want to get on with life together you know?!

Timeline

So she was able to go to Australia before the NOA2?

I can always have my parents forward me the NOA2 if it comes while I am away. It just really sucks spending time apart, especially as you both just want to get on with life together you know?!

We went to Australia before we filed. We filed after we came back to the US.

You don't even need the NOA2 until you file for the AOS ( after marriage). We still haven't even seen it. It was sent to her sisters house in the states.

I know what you mean. That's why we haven't spent any time apart for 2 years :D

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on your engagement, feel free to come join the April filers! You travelling there doesn't make a difference. It is harder for the benificiary to come visit if there are any concerns to be had. As far as planning a weeding date, I wouldn't suggest it, period. you can get ome things planned but the date will be up in the air untill you have your visa in hand. I am going stir crazy as I am a planner, I need to know things are organized, where as my Fiance is, "it will happen when it happens" kind of person. Welcome to the wait and enjoy the time you can spend together

K1 - Complete
05/01/2011 - Met online
09/15/2011 - Met in person
11/12/2011 - Became engaged
07/09/2012 - Finally got to put His Ring on my finger
02/04/2013 - Mailed off my documents to my fiance
02/13/2013 - Fiance received my documents
03/30/2013 - I-129F sent
04/05/2013 - NOA 1
07/10/2013 - File Transferred to Texas
07/24/2013 - NOA 2
08/23/2013 - USCIS-NVC - Case number received
08/27/2013 - NVC-Consulate
09/03/2013 - Packet 3
09/04/2013 - Packet 4
09/10/2013 - Medical (Passed)
09/12/2013 - Interview (Approved)
09/17/2013 - Visa in hand
11/02/2013 - Border crossing at Sweetgrass completed
11/05/2013 - Arrived in San Antonio
11/16/2013 - Married in San Antonio

Adjustment of Status

04/25/2014 - AOS packaged mailed to Chicago Lock Box.

05/15/2014 - NoA1 received for Aos and EA. AP rejected.

06/16/2014 - Biometrics appointment

07/07/2014 - EA card now in production.

07/10/2014 - EA Card received. YAY JOB HUNTING

08/13/2014 - Letter received staging possible interview waiver and no action for antoher 6 months

03/03/2015 - Apparently we are still within normal processing times and need to wait 87 days

04/27/2015 - RFE - Renew medical, Send some other documents

05/04/2015 - Medical redone

05/07/2015 - RFE request sent back to USCIS

05/08/2015 - RFE request received at USCIS

05/11/2015 - Green card IN PRODUCTION!!!!

05/11/2015 - Welcome letter Mailed!

05/14/2015 - Welcome Letter Received

05/18/2015 - Green Card Received!! FINALLY!!!!

Timeline

We went to Australia before we filed. We filed after we came back to the US.

You don't even need the NOA2 until you file for the AOS ( after marriage). We still haven't even seen it. It was sent to her sisters house in the states.

I know what you mean. That's why we haven't spent any time apart for 2 years :D

Ah that's excellent news. I thought they might need the NOA2 for the interview XD

Congrats on your engagement, feel free to come join the April filers! You travelling there doesn't make a difference. It is harder for the benificiary to come visit if there are any concerns to be had. As far as planning a weeding date, I wouldn't suggest it, period. you can get ome things planned but the date will be up in the air untill you have your visa in hand. I am going stir crazy as I am a planner, I need to know things are organized, where as my Fiance is, "it will happen when it happens" kind of person. Welcome to the wait and enjoy the time you can spend together

Same here. Thats why I'm the one signed up on this forum pulling my hair while he's all laid back and stress free!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.