va.ma

Translation

11 posts in this topic

Hello!

It is me one more time, I am working in getting my I 130 ready to mail it this week, can I translate my marriage certificate, birth certificate, can I sign them? or should I have someone else signing the translations for me?

thank you :)

USCIS

04/22/2013—Sent I-130

04/25/2013—I-130 NOA

11/27/2013—I-130 Transferred to NSC

01/21/2014—I-130 Approved

01/22/2014—I -130 shipped to NVC

NVC

02/03/2014—NVC Received file

03/11/2014—Case Number Assigned

03/12/2014—IIN BIN Provided

03/14/2014—DS-261 Submitted

03/14/2014—AOS invoice available and paid

03/17/2014—AOS cleared bank

03/18/2014—AOS shows Paid

03/21/2014—AOS Package sent to NVC overnight

03/24/2014—AOS Package delivered at NVC

03/24/2014—DS-261 Accepted

03/24/2014—IV Invoice available

03/25/2014—IV fee paid

03/26/2014—IV Package sent to NVC overnight

03/26/2014—AOS entered in the system

03/27/2014—IV Delivered at NVC

03/27/2014—DS-260 submitted

03/31/2014—IV entered in the system

04/01/2014—Corrected I-864 sent (I found out that I have put the wrong address in part 2)

04/04/2014—Corrected I-864 delivered

04/08/2014— Corrected I-864 entered in the system.

04/09/2014— Received a false check list for the IV documents

04/10/2014— Case Complete (L)

04/30/2014— Interview scheduled

05/01/2014-- Interview email received

05/27/2014— Medical

06/09/2014— Interview/AP Joint sponsor required

07/18/2014-- Visa Issued

07/22/2014-- Visa on hand

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hello!

It is me one more time, I am working in getting my I 130 ready to mail it this week, can I translate my marriage certificate, birth certificate, can I sign them? or should I have someone else signing the translations for me?

thank you :)

Hi,

A certified translator should translate all documents. If you are not a certified translator you cannot do it.

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate. The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is :

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________Date _________________

Typed name_____________________________Address________________________

Edited by Andreea E.

Andreea - the beneficiary- in Romania
Mike - the petitioner- in US

feb 2012- we met on OkCupid
sep 2012 - we met in person and spent 2 weeks together =)
oct 2012 - he proposed to me!!!!

8 Dec 2012- we got married!
13 Mar 2013 - I-130 sent
16 Mar 2013- I-130 package delivered
21 Mar 2013 - case transferred to NBC- email notification; check cashed

4 Nov 2013 - 1st email received: our file was transferred to another office

5 Nov 2013 - 2nd email received: our file was transferred to the local USCIS Office

8 Nov 2013 - 3rd email received: our file was transferred to an USCIS office

8 Nov 2013 - got the letter saying our file is in the California service center

25 Nov 2013 - NOA2 received, file approved

10 Jan 2014 - NVC number received

5 Nov 2014 - fees paid

24 Nov 2014 - NVC received the documents

4 May 2015- Interview

VISA APPROVED!!!!

6 June 2015 - POE in Chicago

Now living in ND

Hi,

A certified translator should translate all documents. If you are not a certified translator you cannot do it.

From what I've read here in other threads, the certification is that letter, and any translator can certify the translation. In other words, the translator does not have to be a "certified translator", the document has to be a "certified translation".

If that's not correct, someone please let me know.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

From what I've read here in other threads, the certification is that letter, and any translator can certify the translation. In other words, the translator does not have to be a "certified translator", the document has to be a "certified translation".

That's correct.

OP, you can translate the documents yourself as long as you attach that signed certification that was posted earlier. good.gif

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

For full timeline, see "about me".

Latest Dates

N-400 Filing - 03/14/2016

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Interview Notice - 06/03/2016

Interview Date - 07/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

Timeline

Hi Speedwell,

In order for the document to be a certified translation, it should be translated by a certified translator.

Usually the certified translators have a stamp and they stamp everything is translated.

Of course a non-certified translator (like myself) can translate a document and ask for a certified translator to certify the translation.

But why would you pay a certified translator a full price just for a signature, when he can translate and certify the translation for the same full price???

My advice is no matter who is right, it is better to have the documents translated and certified by a Certified Translator, just to be sure smile.gif

PS. When I sent the I-130 documents, I have sent 2 Affidavit of Bona fide Marriage. The documents have been translated and certified by a Certified Translator and I also sent the Certificate that proves the right to translate documents, with the stamp of course.

13 Mar 2013 - I-130 sent

5 Nov 2013 - 2nd email received: our file was transferred to the local USCIS Office

5 Nov 2014 - fees paid

4 May 2015- Interview

VISA APPROVED!!!!

Now living in ND

Hi Speedwell,

In order for the document to be a certified translation, it should be translated by a certified translator.

Usually the certified translators have a stamp and they stamp everything is translated.

Of course a non-certified translator (like myself) can translate a document and ask for a certified translator to certify the translation.

But why would you pay a certified translator a full price just for a signature, when he can translate and certify the translation for the same full price???

My advice is no matter who is right, it is better to have the documents translated and certified by a Certified Translator, just to be sure smile.gif

PS. When I sent the I-130 documents, I have sent 2 Affidavit of Bona fide Marriage. The documents have been translated and certified by a Certified Translator and I also sent the Certificate that proves the right to translate documents, with the stamp of course.

Hi, Andreea. It is better to advise people to do what works and is legally required, not what costs them unnecessary money and delay and is optional. OK? My point and oopartiv's point is that you do not need to pay a "certified translator" at all. All that is required is for the person doing the translating to certify the translation with the certification letter.

Edited by speedwell

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Timeline

Hi, Andreea. It is better to advise people to do what works and is legally required, not what costs them unnecessary money and delay and is optional. OK? My point and oopartiv's point is that you do not need to pay a "certified translator" at all. All that is required is for the person doing the translating to certify the translation with the certification letter.

Hi Speedwell,

I understand your point. Maybe I am wrong. I am not trying to argue or anything.

My opinion is that a translation should be made by a competent translator and as USCIS site mentions:

The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the:

• Translation is accurate, and
  • Translator is competent to translate.

Can you tell me what makes a translator competent to translate, other than the certificate that gives him the right to translate?

If a person speaks English, that means he/she is competent to translate?

Thanks.

13 Mar 2013 - I-130 sent

5 Nov 2014 - fees paid

4 May 2015- Interview

VISA APPROVED!!!!

Now living in ND

Hi Speedwell,

I understand your point. Maybe I am wrong. I am not trying to argue or anything.

My opinion is that a translation should be made by a competent translator and as USCIS site mentions:

The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the:

• Translation is accurate, and
  • Translator is competent to translate.

Can you tell me what makes a translator competent to translate, other than the certificate that gives him the right to translate?

If a person speaks English, that means he/she is competent to translate?

Thanks.

A competent translator is one who understands the original language on the document and English well enough to translate the one accurately into the other. There is no legal requirement that the translator be independently certified.

But you go ahead and do what makes you feel more comfortable. I try to hew to the letter of the law because I've run into trouble doing what I think they want instead of what they really do want.

Edited by speedwell

LATEST STEPS:

Timeline

A competent translator is one who understands the original language on the document and English well enough to translate the one accurately into the other. There is no legal requirement that the translator be independently certified.

But you go ahead and do what makes you feel more comfortable. I try to hew to the letter of the law because I've run into trouble doing what I think they want instead of what they really do want.

Ok Speedwell.

Thanks.

13 Mar 2013 - I-130 sent

5 Nov 2014 - fees paid

4 May 2015- Interview

VISA APPROVED!!!!

Now living in ND

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

good.gif

No need to pay tons of money for translations if you can do them yourself! That's just my take on it, though.

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

For full timeline, see "about me".

Latest Dates

N-400 Filing - 03/14/2016

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Interview Notice - 06/03/2016

Interview Date - 07/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.