Travelpro

Passport

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Which box do most check on the application for reason for the passport? There is one for Immigration which makes the most sense.

It probably really doesn't matter but just want to get everything in order as I understand there is some interview to get the passport.

We just started the K1 in March so its going to be a while. I've already been to the Philippines 3 times in last 6 months to see her. Was thinking for the next visit in July we go to Bali. Its been my dream to go there. I understand people from the Philippines can travel to anywhere in SEA with only a passport; no visa needed. So she needs the passport in the short term for travel. So, short term she should check the box for travel or tourist.

Logic tells me to still check the immigration box and if asked in the passport interview, to explain she might travel to SEA with me before getting the visa. I just want to make sure I'm not raising any red flag with anyone. So wanted input from those who have been through the passport process.

I'm sure I'm over thinking this.

Thanks,

Jeff

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Which box do most check on the application for reason for the passport? There is one for Immigration which makes the most sense.

It probably really doesn't matter but just want to get everything in order as I understand there is some interview to get the passport.

We just started the K1 in March so its going to be a while. I've already been to the Philippines 3 times in last 6 months to see her. Was thinking for the next visit in July we go to Bali. Its been my dream to go there. I understand people from the Philippines can travel to anywhere in SEA with only a passport; no visa needed. So she needs the passport in the short term for travel. So, short term she should check the box for travel or tourist.

Logic tells me to still check the immigration box and if asked in the passport interview, to explain she might travel to SEA with me before getting the visa. I just want to make sure I'm not raising any red flag with anyone. So wanted input from those who have been through the passport process.

I'm sure I'm over thinking this.

Thanks,

Jeff

If she indicates that it is for "Immigration", she will be told to attend the CFO seminar & get the certificate. She will then come back to DFA to apply for the passport with the CFO certificate & all of the required documents.

Edited by let-it-be

Timeline

Ahh, good info. I knew she had to do the CFO but didn't realize it was tied to the passport. Thats helpful to know. Thanks!

Is she all set with return ticket and passport to travel to Bali? I in case we have an overnight in HKG, I heard also no visa required for short stay.

Edited by Jeff1970

Timeline

If she indicates that it is for "Immigration", she will be told to attend the CFO seminar & get the certificate. She will then come back to DFA to apply for the passport with the CFO certificate & all of the required documents.

If She needs the CFO completion certificate to get the passport why on the CFO website under requirements states:

Requirements for Registration

Original and photocopy of Passport;

Original and photocopy of visa

Original and photocopy of Immigrant Data Summary for US-bound emigrants (except for K visa holders);

Original and photocopy of Confirmation of Permanent Residence for Canada-bound emigrants;

Original and photocopy of Certification of Eligibility for Japan-bound emigrants;

Original CFO guidance and counseling certificate***;

Duly completed emigrant registration form; and

Payment of the authorized registration fee.

***AND you need a CFO certificate to apply for the CFO guidance and counseling seminar?

http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1348%3Afiancee-spouses-and-other-partners-of-foreign-nationals&catid=140&Itemid=901

She has been confirmed for the passport appointment at the DFA in a few weeks.

Can someone confirm the steps to get the passport?

Timeline

If She needs the CFO completion certificate to get the passport why on the CFO website under requirements states:

Requirements for Registration

Original and photocopy of Passport;

Original and photocopy of visa

Original and photocopy of Immigrant Data Summary for US-bound emigrants (except for K visa holders);

Original and photocopy of Confirmation of Permanent Residence for Canada-bound emigrants;

Original and photocopy of Certification of Eligibility for Japan-bound emigrants;

Original CFO guidance and counseling certificate***;

Duly completed emigrant registration form; and

Payment of the authorized registration fee.

***AND you need a CFO certificate to apply for the CFO guidance and counseling seminar?

http://www.cfo.gov.p...=140&Itemid=901

She has been confirmed for the passport appointment at the DFA in a few weeks.

Can someone confirm the steps to get the passport?

She doesn't need a CFO certificate to apply for a CFO guidance counseling seminar. She NEEDS the CFO certificate to APPLY for a passport if her purpose of getting a passport is to MIGRATE abroad. It is the DFA's requirement that those who are going to migrate (as Fiance(e) or Spouse) or work abroad, they are required to attend the CFO seminar. DFA will only require this CFO certificate if your girlfriend will INDICATE in her passport application that the purpose of applying is for IMMIGRATION. They wouldn't know unless she puts it down on the form. She can indicate for TOURIST purpose since the two of you are going on a trip if she doesn't want to do CFO yet. It's really that easy.

As what the other poster posted, she will need to attend the said seminar anyway before she can leave the country to migrate to the USA. Either before her visa interview or after the visa interview. One can attend the seminar even without a visa. They will give her the certificate after the seminar and then once she has the visa she can go back & register to get the CFO sticker affixed to her passport. She must bring that CFO certificate as proof she attended the seminar already.

Edited by let-it-be

Timeline

The requirements below should be what you need to pay attention to, not the requirements for registration.

Requirements for Attendance to Guidance and Counseling Program

• Two (2) valid identification cards (IDs) with photograph;
  • Duly completed guidance and counseling form;
  • If married, original and photocopy of marriage contract on security paper from the National Statistics Office, or Local Civil Registry Offices; or original and photocopy of marriage contract duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/ Consulate (if married abroad)
  • Other documents as may be required by the counselors; and
  • Payment of P400.00 counseling fee.

Edited by let-it-be

Timeline

Thanks. I re-read the website. I got misled by the term "CFO registration". I thought it meant to register for the CFO guidance counseling seminar.

I will have her do the CFO seminar before getting the passport.

I got it now. Thanks!

Timeline

So is it easy for Filipinos to visit SEA even though no visa is required? I heard she might still have trouble getting out of Manila. I heard entering Bali would be no issue.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just don't fly Lion airlines. :o

lol! i think its another cat :D

Visa Released : 2013-05-23
Visa On Hand: 2013-05-24
PDOS : 2013-05-24
POE Honolulu : 2013-05-25
SS ID on hand: 2013-06-03
Driver's Permit: 2013-06-06 valid for 1year, Roadtest pending availability which is 3 months sad.png

Green Card (USCIS Form I-551): 2013-06-24

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.