Joanne and Roy

shipping to the US

5 posts in this topic

When I moved from Australia to Japan a few years ago, I used Pack & Send. I lived in Perth at the time and dealt with their office in Subiaco. They were the cheapest company at the time and we received great service. I will be moving to the US later this year once I get my green card and I am planning to use that company again to ship my things. I have no idea how much they charge to ship to the US. I was only charged $350 to ship one cubic meter (8 big boxes) from Perth to Hiroshima.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

My visa was approved this week! I'm now figuring out the logistics of moving to New York. Can anyone recommend a reliable and cheap shipping service?

Hi,

I used Sevenseas world wide.

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/?source=google&KW=sevenseas&gclid=CI2yneafuLYCFcdAMgodBEYAWg

They do a door to door service and provide you with packing materials etc. Communication is great. They have two options - either via sea (which is cheaper) or air ( a lot more expensive but shorter delivery time)

Also, check to see what your airline allows with luggage. I flew over with Virgin and was allowed 2 x bags at 22.5kgs each all the way through.

Congratulations on your approval too! I remember how exciting it was!

14 Jan 2011 - Fiance sent me a message on a dating website

14 Jan 2011 - I added him on Facebook

26 Jan 2011 - Had a 5 hour long conversation that changed my life!

05 Feb 2011 - We decided to be an exclusive relationship

29 Jun 2011 - We met for the first time. It was exactly as I knew it would be!

14 Jul 2011 - He had to leave to go back to USA

17 Jul 2011 - Booked flights for me to go to USA for 3 months on VWP

29 Nov 2011 - Arrived in USA

25 Dec 2011 - HE PROPOSED!

21 Feb 2012 - Left USA for Australia

K1 Visa Process

16 Apr 2012 - NOA1

08 Aug 2012 - RFE

11 Sep 2012 - CSC received RFE documentation

11 Sep 2012 - Did Police Clearance

18 Sep 2012 - NOA 2

26 Sep 2012 - NVC sent case to consulate

16 Oct 2012 - Packet 3 received

18 Oct 2012 - Sent DS-230 off to Sydney Consulate

01 Nov 2012 - Medical completed

07 Nov 2012 - Packet 3 Sent to Consulate

08 Nov 2012 - Packet 3 Delivered

15 Nov 2012 - Packet 4 Received

18 Dec 2012 - Interview APPROVED!

28 Dec 2012 - Entered USA POE:- LAX

09 Jan 2013 - Married

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

I used Pack n Send. Not having ever done this before, I trusted Pack n Send when they said I could generalise when filling in the contents forms. (I had about 30 boxes.) Big mistake. When the boxes arrived in the U.S. shortly after I arrived, customs demanded that every item be documented including place of origin. Naturally, I couldn't recall every single item, so I was forced to hire an import broker to cut through the maze, which cost me $240. To cut a long story short, customs went to the warehouse and inspected the boxes and then promptly cleared them for release. It was a big hassle, which could have been easily avoided. I hope this helps you.

Regards,

travel'n.

• 5 months later...

I recently used Pack & Send to ship boxes to the US from Perth to Los Angeles. They charged $470 per meter cube for a port to port service. Each additional 0.1 meter cube was $30. If you buy boxes at Pack & Send and don't use them all, they give you a refund for the unused boxes.

The people at the Balcatta office offered a great service but please be aware that Pack & Send does not offer to do the Import Security Filing (ISF). When you ship goods by sea to the US, you must submit the ISF 24 hours before the ship leaves the last foreign port. If you don't file it on time, you can get a fine of $5,000. In our case, our boxes were transferred to a different ship in Singapore so we had to file the ISF before the ship left Singapore.

We asked Pack & Send for the name of the shipping agent in the USA and we contacted them about the ISF. Their agent charged us $55 for the service which is the same amount other custom brokers charge in the USA. The staff I was dealing with at Pack & Send had never had to deal with anyone needing to file an ISF before so I was a bit concerned at first but in the end, they provided all the information I needed in a timely matter and we filed the ISF on time.

Another thing to be aware is that if you are shipping household goods, you only need an ISF, you do not need to pay a bond. The shipping agent in Los Angeles tried to charge us $70 for a bond we didn't need. We emailed him documents from the US Customs and Border Protection and he then agreed that we didn't need to pay the bond.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.