Tony & Olga

CR-1 & K-3 Approved with in 2 hours of each other!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I am relatively new here and have been trying to navigate the legal and sometimes confusing logistics of the legal immigration process.

Like many of you, I was married in Colombia back in August and came back to the US to file my paper work! I filed the I-130 in September and after receiving my NOA1, I promptly filed my I-129F K-3 paper Work. I received an email on both shortly after my initial filing that both petitions had been transferred to the California processing facility.

Now, I just received emails that both the petitions were approved with in two hours of each other!

My question to those of you who have experience and knowledge of these issues are: Which do I pursue at this point? Both? or just go for the CR-1? Would the K-3 still be faster at this point?

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated!

Good luck to all in there pursuits....Tony

Tony & Olga

K-3 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

Marriage : 2006-08-18

I-130 Sent : 2006-09-05

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-25

I-129F Sent : 2006-10-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-10-19

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-11-15

NVC Received : 2006-11-27

NVC Left : 2006-12-05

Consulate Received : 2006-12-07

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-13

Packet 4 Received : 2007-01-06

Interview Date : 2007-01-22

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems like what most people do in this case is continue to pursue both if they can afford it.

The K3 is only held at the NVC for a very short time before it is transferred to the consulate, while the IR/CR1 can be at the NVC much longer (maybe 2 - 6 months) before getting to the consulate.

Some people choose to pursue both, and then interview for the K3, and return to their country for the CR/IR1 interview. I have also heard of situations where people had a K3 interview scheduled, then the IR/CR1 reached the consulate, and they were able to switch the interview.

If the IR/CR1 reaches the consulate first, then the consulate will ignore the K3 when it arrives.

Hope this is a bit helpful, I obviously haven't reached this point yet :)

Hello everyone!

I am relatively new here and have been trying to navigate the legal and sometimes confusing logistics of the legal immigration process.

Like many of you, I was married in Colombia back in August and came back to the US to file my paper work! I filed the I-130 in September and after receiving my NOA1, I promptly filed my I-129F K-3 paper Work. I received an email on both shortly after my initial filing that both petitions had been transferred to the California processing facility.

Now, I just received emails that both the petitions were approved with in two hours of each other!

My question to those of you who have experience and knowledge of these issues are: Which do I pursue at this point? Both? or just go for the CR-1? Would the K-3 still be faster at this point?

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Tony & Olga

Be aware of the following if you are wishing to continue both paths and/or if you are granted and enter the US from the K-3 and wish to return to the consulate for the CR-1 visa.

Beginning October 23, 2006, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) National Benefits Center (NBC) began transferring Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), (petitions for K-3-spouses of U.S. citizens only), to the California Service Center (CSC) and the Vermont Service Center (VSC), depending on the location of the related Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. This transfer is being implemented in preparation for Phase 3 of the USCIS initiative to use centralized filing and bi-specialized adjudication. Through this Bi-Specialization effort, USCIS continues to align similar workloads between two “sister” service centers, CSC and VSC, to better manage cases and improve customer service.

USCIS will continue to forward approved Form I-129F (K-3) petitions to the National Visa Center (NVC) for consular processing. However, it will retain approved Form I-130 petitions, based upon a mutual agreement with the Department of State. USCIS will retain all approved Forms I-130 for retrieval upon the beneficiary’s eventual application for adjustment of status (Form I-485), unless the petitioner clearly indicates on Form I-130 that the beneficiary will use the consular process. USCIS will store approved Form I-130 petitions at its National Record Center (NRC).

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf

What did you indicate on the I-130 in Q22?

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Congratulations! For now, you can keep both processes going.

Hello everyone!

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Lorelle,

Im very concern with this memorandum from uscis. We are pursuing both CR and K3 visa. Im thinking that around early next year I will be interview for K3 visa (hopefully).

On the Form I-130 Q22 I put the Consulate address on it. What if we choose to do the Adjustment of Status, will it still be an option available for us or no more? Just go back to Consulate for the CR1 interview?

Thanks

FORM I-130

7/14/06 - sent

8/1/06 - touched

8/5/06 - NOA1

8/8/06 - touched

9/25/06 - touched

9/26/06 - approved

***NVC***

10/6/06 - case number assigned MNL20067791xx

10/23/06 - DS 3032 Choice of Agent and AOS Fee Bill Generated

10/27/06 - emailed Choice of Agent

10/30/06 - DS 3032 and AOS Fee Bill received through snail mail

10/31/06 - send out the DS 3032 and AOS Bill

11/1/06 - received email from NVC accepted the Choice of Agent

11/6/06 - IV Fee Bill Generated

11/17/06 - IV Fee and AOS Received

11/18/06 - IV Check Send

11/20/06 - IV Check Delivered

11/20/06 - AOS Send to NVC

12/2/06 - Send the DS-230 Part I and II

12/6/06 - NVC received the documents

12/21/06 - Process at NVC Completed

02/13/07 - File left NVC to MNL Embassy

03/22/07 - CR1 Interview....on AR

04/16/07 - Still on AR

05/2/07 - Visa Released

05/4/07 - Visa in Hand after 5 weeks on AR

Hi Lorelle,

Im very concern with this memorandum from uscis. We are pursuing both CR and K3 visa. Im thinking that around early next year I will be interview for K3 visa (hopefully).

On the Form I-130 Q22 I put the Consulate address on it. What if we choose to do the Adjustment of Status, will it still be an option available for us or no more? Just go back to Consulate for the CR1 interview?

Thanks

KimTung

You are way past this stage as your case at NVC is at the IV Fee and AOS stage, and your I-129F is already in Manila according to your timeline. If your case at NVC reaches Manila prior to your K-3 interview it will override the K-3 and you will interview for the CR-1. If there is already a K-3 interview, some consulates will just switch it to the CR-1 where you will retain the same interview date. Other consulates cancel the K-3 interview and reschedule for the CR-1. I'm not sure what Manila does, but hopefully someone will.

To try and reply to your question though....

I honestly don't know if there is going to be any ramifications once an I-130 has been transferred to the NVC and that process started, or whether it will remain the same and one can just have their I-130 returned to USCIS because they are now adjusting status in the US from the K-3. From the USCIS press release they are implementing this process to cut down on unnecessary movement of files and the cost involved. It makes no mention of what would happen in the scenario you mention. Time will tell just as with any new process.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Tony:

There is no short answer to your question; you're going to have to piece together the info.

The Immigrant Visa (CR) will take another 3 or so months going through the NVC.

The K-3 application should get to the Consulate within 2 months.

The IV is the complete package. When the immigrant enters with that visa, they become a Permanent Resident immediately.

With a K-3 entry, the immigrant still has to do more work to become a PR. Personally, I think it is better to wait for the IV, but I understand that some people just can't wait another day.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Tony:

There is no short answer to your question; you're going to have to piece together the info.

The Immigrant Visa (CR) will take another 3 or so months going through the NVC.

The K-3 application should get to the Consulate within 2 months.

The IV is the complete package. When the immigrant enters with that visa, they become a Permanent Resident immediately.

With a K-3 entry, the immigrant still has to do more work to become a PR. Personally, I think it is better to wait for the IV, but I understand that some people just can't wait another day.

Thanks for all the Info at this point due to CSC holding the CR1 VISA because they mis read the question 22 info on my Petition, I will pursue the K 3 Visa!

Tony & Olga

K-3 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

Marriage : 2006-08-18

I-130 Sent : 2006-09-05

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-25

I-129F Sent : 2006-10-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-10-19

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-11-15

NVC Received : 2006-11-27

NVC Left : 2006-12-05

Consulate Received : 2006-12-07

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-13

Packet 4 Received : 2007-01-06

Interview Date : 2007-01-22

Regarding Aussiewench's comments, we are at the doorstep now at Manila. NVC completed our CR-1 case on Nov 15 and the I-129F for K3 was approved Nov 20. I, too, am very anxious to see what happens. We are continuing to follow both options. I will advise as the story unfolds.

Michael and Milah Jean

04/24/2006 | Married in Leyte
06/16/2006 | Mail I-130 petition to NSC
03/15/2007 | INTERVIEW - 6:30 am - APPROVED!!!!
04/05/2007 | ARRIVED IN AMERICA!!! (Detroit)
04/14/2007 | Received SSN card in mail
04/23/2007 | Received 2 yr green card
04/24/2007 | CELEBRATE FIRST ANNIVERSARY!!!
11/16/2007 | We're pregnant!!!
07/01/2008 | Ester Faith born at 11:49 pm
02/12/2009 | Mail I-751 petition to remove conditions
04/16/2009 | Approved - Letter recd 4/21/2009
06/29/2009 | Received 10 yr green card
07/11/2009 | Received Ohio driver's license - passed road test 1st try!!
01/29/2011 | We're preggie...again!!!
09/21/2011 | Eugene Filip born - 7:55 am

02/29/2016 | Mail N-400 application

05/19/2016 | Naturalization interview

06/16/2016 | Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.