CRAKZOR

Bringing fiancée's kids in the future

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi my fiancée has 2 kids she's living with her parents and fam. We want to bring her kids later after we settle down because her son's birth certificate shows that she is married with the baby daddy but she never married also the son has his dads last name , but her daughter , the younger, has hers moms last name and doesn't say they were married. They were never married and this was an error on whoever issued the birth certificate. Now I'm hearing ill need to come up with 2 grand to change the birthcetificate. They're names are on the i129f and they won't be coming with us until later. Will they need to come to the interview?

event.png

interview: Sept.10th

Timeline

Also I don't support enough for more than my fiancée so ill use my father as a cosponsor aswell... I'm lost. Once here can my fiancée petition her kids?

event.png

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't mean this the wrong way and I know this doesn't directly address your question, but if $2K is a stretch you really need to research cost for K1 process, coming to US and getting settled. $2K was less than 10% of the total cost for us...albeit we did some things we didn't have to do (multiple trips to RP, nice "going away" party, etc.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You have two options- the kids can come on a follow-to-join K2 within a year of the K1. This is easiest and cheapest. Or, assuming they are under 18, you,as the USC step father, can petition for them via the I-130 and get them here that way. If she as a greencard holder petitions, it takes much longer.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

...her son's birth certificate shows that she is married...

...Now I'm hearing i'll need to come up with 2 grand to change the birth certificate.

Are you positive she's not married? $2000 is the cost of an inexpensive annulment in the Philippines. Before you part with two grand, you should order a copy her CENOMAR to verify she's not married. It

Also I don't support enough for more than my fiancée so ill use my father as a cosponsor aswell... I'm lost. Once here can my fiancée petition her kids?

On K-1 cases, the U.S. Embassy Manila accepts joint sponsors on a case-by-case basis. I'd estimate that the Embassy accepts K-1 joint sponsors maybe 50% of the time.

Timeline

You have two options- the kids can come on a follow-to-join K2 within a year of the K1. This is easiest and cheapest. Or, assuming they are under 18, you,as the USC step father, can petition for them via the I-130 and get them here that way. If she as a greencard holder petitions, it takes much longer.

follow to join sounds like the best option. Do they come to the interview with my fiancée?

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

No- you do have the list them in the paperwork but they will have their interview when you want them to come (it just has to be within one year of the K1 being issued).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Ok thank you. So they won't need the fixed birth certificate until their interview and when they get their passports. Until then I'm definitely sure my fiancée was never married so I won't worry about the cenomar outcome

event.png

Ok thank you. So they won't need the fixed birth certificate until their interview and when they get their passports. Until then I'm definitely sure my fiancée was never married so I won't worry about the cenomar outcome

It can be that she was married before or not. I was in the same situation with her. My 2 kids uses my x' last name but we were never married legally that is why i have no issues bringing my 2 kids here. My USC husband filed I-130 for my kids coz we planned it that we will get my kids once i am settled here.

Just make sure she was not married before and to make sure get a CENOMAR first before doing anything else. Good luck!

Timeline

It can be that she was married before or not. I was in the same situation with her. My 2 kids uses my x' last name but we were never married legally that is why i have no issues bringing my 2 kids here. My USC husband filed I-130 for my kids coz we planned it that we will get my kids once i am settled here.

Just make sure she was not married before and to make sure get a CENOMAR first before doing anything else. Good luck!

you've cleared all my worries, thank you!

event.png

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Make sure your fiancee sorts everything out regarding her son's BC before she leaves the Philippines.

She needs to go to the Local Civil Registry where her son's BC is recorded and inquire how to go about with correcting the BC. Bring a valid ID and new CENOMAR.

Edited by apple21

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Correct advice Penguin

As a father and petitioner of a fiancee with two children I will add that this stuff needs to be settled before you file a petition. Children are not options. And they should not be an after-thought. Documents need to get corrected before you start the petition process. You need to get everything you need for the whole process in front of you, check it out and correct anything BEFORE you start. If it costs $2k or $10K get it done first, THEN fie the petition. This is going to be a cluster-schtup and your fiancee/wife is going to be out of her mind if something happens to one of her children and she cannot return to be with them. You are walking through a mine field if you leave children of this age behind. I strongly recommend against it. Postpone her interview, fix the issues and get the visas at one time

And if you cannot even meet the poverty guidelines for a fiancee with children, how do you expect to actually support a family of 4?

You need to think out past the visa, you are creating a lifetime family here, LIFE begins after the visa is obtained. I sometimes let life experience mix with visa experience. Never mind me.

you've cleared all my worries, thank you!

:o

Good luck.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.