silvermug

To Those Who Got RFEs

37 posts in this topic

We sent all the standard stuff: Both names on deed to home, 09-10 full tax transcripts from IRS and 09-12 tax returns all showing married filing jointly, both names on bank acc's/Credit cards (with COMPLETE 2 years of bank statements) form showing myself as beneficiary of her health ins, Utility/service bills - 2 in my name one in hers at same address, joint ownership of car, vacation/family/holiday pics, thank you's from friends weddings, scans of both licenses showing same address, and I know I'm forgetting some...

Anyone know if there's a rough percentage known in reference to receiving an RFE? After reading through the forums, it seems many times the recipient of an RFE sent less than the typical amount of evidence (especially in the comingling of finances category) but then there are the ones who seemingly sent everything imaginable and still ended up with an RFE or interview. Is there some randomness to this? Or is it an adjuster having a "bad day?" I even read that recently they've been sending RFE's out to many just to slow down the influx and give them time to process the current case load... if true, pretty crappy thing to put a married couple through that stress for no reason IMO...

Edited by NachoDog

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, there are a couple of August 2012 ROC filers that moved AFTER filing their ROC that did not get RFE's .. so my theory is blown out of the water, and that is GOOD! It seems just random to me now. You never know. I just had a gut feeling though, and if you go with your gut, get your post filing evidence ready to send back. We had ours back out in the mail to USCIS in less than 24 hours after receiving it, and that includes working a 10-hour day and putting the entire packet together along with a cover letter (and MAKE A COPY!).

Good luck everyone! Wish us luck too that once the get the RFE evidence, it goes quickly :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Beth & John
~K-1 Visa Process~
NOA1: October 29, 2009
NOA2: January 21, 2010
Interview Date: April 12, 2010 - APPROVED!
Visa Received: April 26, 2010
POE: May 11, 2010
Wedding: May 21, 2010

~AOS/EAD/AP~
Sent: June 8, 2010
Received at Chicago Lockbox: June 10, 2010
Email/text notification of NOA1: June 16, 2010
Check cashed: June 17, 2010
Case shows up on USCIS website: June 18, 2010
Hard copies of NOA1's arrive: June 18, 2010
Touch on all 3 cases: June 21, 2010
Biometrics letter: Received June 24, 2010, scheduled for July 15, successful walk-in June 30th!
Touch on AOS/EAD cases: July 1, 2010
EAD and AP approval: August 6, 2010
EAD Card Production: August 9, 2010
AP received: August 13, 2010
EAD Card received: August 16, 2010
AOS Interview: August 23, 2010 APPROVED!

~ROC~
Sent: August 7, 2012
Check cashed: August 14, 2012
NOA1: August 10, 2012
Biometrics: September 13, 2012
RFE: April 1, 2013; response mailed April 2, 2013
Approved: April 22, 2013

Green Card Production ordered: June 12, 2013 (email received)

Green Card Received: June 17, 2013

So, there are a couple of August 2012 ROC filers that moved AFTER filing their ROC that did not get RFE's .. so my theory is blown out of the water, and that is GOOD! It seems just random to me now. You never know. I just had a gut feeling though, and if you go with your gut, get your post filing evidence ready to send back. We had ours back out in the mail to USCIS in less than 24 hours after receiving it, and that includes working a 10-hour day and putting the entire packet together along with a cover letter (and MAKE A COPY!).

Good luck everyone! Wish us luck too that once the get the RFE evidence, it goes quickly :)

Thanks for the info - quick question: When you sent out the ROC originally, what did you send in regards to showing joint financial obligation/comingling of finances? We sent EVERY (joint) bank statement statement for the 2 years since AOS, joint ownership of one of our cars, W2's/Transcripts for 09-12 (all married, filing jointly), doc showing me as beneficiary on her insurance, deed to our home showing both of us as owners, joint credit cards, and shared responsibility of utilities/bills at same address. Basically we've got everything except a kid - so if they request more proof, I dunno what we can send besides affidavit's and newer statements and bill and even more pics (we sent a ton)

Best of luck to you!

Edited by NachoDog

Thanks for the info - quick question: When you sent out the ROC originally, what did you send in regards to showing joint financial obligation/comingling of finances? We sent EVERY (joint) bank statement statement for the 2 years since AOS, joint ownership of one of our cars, W2's/Transcripts for 09-12 (all married, filing jointly), doc showing me as beneficiary on her insurance, deed to our home showing both of us as owners, joint credit cards, and shared responsibility of utilities/bills at same address. Basically we've got everything except a kid - so if they request more proof, I dunno what we can send besides affidavit's and newer statements and bill and even more pics (we sent a ton)

Best of luck to you!

We sent everything in our possession as well. We were renters at the time, so we sent our lease(s), copy of tax returns, bank statements, proof of insurance showing one of us as subscriber the other as dependants, joint cards, utility bills, pictures, copies of letters and cards we received ... all from time of marriage to the date we filed. So there was nothing missing. Our RFE request was so short, it literally said "additional proof of good faith marriage and proof of residence showing we reside at the same address". So, our RFE packet held the same as before with the addition of the deed to our new home and proof that we live THERE, everything else just updated. And us too ... everything except a child. We could send them pictures of our dog I guess, but he didn't come with a birth certificate LOL! Best of luck to you too!

Edited by Beth and John

Beth & John
~K-1 Visa Process~

~AOS/EAD/AP~
Biometrics letter: Received June 24, 2010, scheduled for July 15, successful walk-in June 30th!

~ROC~

We sent everything in our possession as well. We were renters at the time, so we sent our lease(s), copy of tax returns, bank statements, proof of insurance showing one of us as subscriber the other as dependants, joint cards, utility bills, pictures, copies of letters and cards we received ... all from time of marriage to the date we filed. So there was nothing missing. Our RFE request was so short, it literally said "additional proof of good faith marriage and proof of residence showing we reside at the same address". So, our RFE packet held the same as before with the addition of the deed to our new home and proof that we live THERE, everything else just updated. And us too ... everything except a child. We could send them pictures of our dog I guess, but he didn't come with a birth certificate LOL! Best of luck to you too!

Hmm, seems you sent almost everything they requested and still got an RFE. Are they sending them out to almost everyone recently? I read on these forums it was to "slow down" the incoming case load and give them time to clear the current case load. Dunno if there's any validity to that.

Haha, we thought about our dog's adoption cert. but unfortunately it includes only my name (we didn't think of "immigration" much during the last 2 years)

Edited by NachoDog

Hmm, seems you sent almost everything they request and still got an RFE. Are they sending them out to almost everyone recently? I read on these forums it was to "slow down" the incoming case load and give them time to clear the current case load. Dunno if there's any validity to that.

Haha, we thought about our dog's adoption cert. but unfortunately it includes only my name (we didn't think of "immigration" much during the last 2 years)

Same for us, our dog's adoption cert is only in my name too. John found out he was a "doggie dad" when he got home that day :blush::innocent:

RFE's must be random and/or for a reason. I don't see a reason for ours, but maybe the adjudicator did? Or they have a quota that we just don't know about? Our RFE, and RFE's in general, don't bother me ... as I truly see them as a "we are working on your case and just want to hear from you". As far as everyone getting them recently, there were at least 3 August filers that got them within a few days of each other. Might be a way of buying more time? :unsure:

Beth & John
~K-1 Visa Process~

~AOS/EAD/AP~

~ROC~

I've been watching this site since the beginning of this year, and appreciate all kinds of discussion and would like to make some contributions.

I totally agree with your comments that RFE is "just random".

I am June filers last year, I received RFE Feb 12, 2013 though the letter dated Feb 6. The letter requested two big bold underlined subjects

1. Identity Document

2. Evidence of Good Faith Marriage

Under Evidence of Good Faith Marriage

there are two bold underlined sub-topic

1. financial records

2. residence

and enclosed with this letter is a standard small return envelop

We are completely puzzeled by this RFE. Our original submission definitely covered all this topic and we have a very neat cover letter went with it. So we decided to visit local office through Infopass appointment.

The local officer agreed with us about our document but suggested that if we wouldn't submit any new evidence it might as well subject to rejection. So we better have new material to submit and plus the original submittion to make it complete because the adjudication officer may not necessarily have "complete" document at time. Obviously the small return standard envelop is not enough to hold all these document. The local infopass officer also suggested that we use USPS priority mail so we can keep track of our return mail. So we did.

We re-categorized our document based on the subjects requested in their RFE, for example, in our cover letter, we noted Exhibit A Identity document, Exhibit B Evidence of Good Faith Marriage, then on each of our document we noted Exhibit A page 1/2 blah blah, Exhibit B financial record page 1/20, blah, blah, blah, Exhibit B residence page 1/3. I put our air tickets underneath financial record group. the residence and financial record kind of overlapped, it depends on yourself which one you would want your own document to go into. We also stated in our cover letter, which document are "re-submit" which are "new submit" in order to save our adjudication officer's time and energy.

Anyways, we sent back our reply on Feb 22 early morning using USPS. Please remember at the counter of USPS, make sure the zip code the clerk keyed in at the time she asked you for your payment was correct, the destination zip code was on your receipt. Mine wasn't correct, my bad luck, and it took 2 days mission 7 days to complete after numeral phone calls. The tracking number was eventually shown delivered Feb 28. Then it had been a long wait, unlike everyone else whose case seemed to have been finished within 2 weeks, it took them more than a month to work on mine, I received an email last night saying card is in production. So from Feb 28 through April 2. This is the time solely spent on USCIS side on responding to my RFE reply.

Hope this is helpful to everyone who is still waiting.

XOXO

Same for us, our dog's adoption cert is only in my name too. John found out he was a "doggie dad" when he got home that day :blush::innocent:

RFE's must be random and/or for a reason. I don't see a reason for ours, but maybe the adjudicator did? Or they have a quota that we just don't know about? Our RFE, and RFE's in general, don't bother me ... as I truly see them as a "we are working on your case and just want to hear from you". As far as everyone getting them recently, there were at least 3 August filers that got them within a few days of each other. Might be a way of buying more time? :unsure:

Ha, my wife didn't want a dog at ALL - until I said "let's just go look at them, and talk about it later..." Sure enough, when she saw them all locked up and vying for her affection, she decided to take our guy home on the spot. :)

Well I'm going to take your good advice and start preparing a "just in case" RFE packet.

BTW, our status on the USCIS website, case update(s) has never changed from Initial Review. No touches, last update was 8/14/12. Assuming that was the day they put it in the box lol.

It still says:

Initial Review

On August 10, 2012, we received this CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED, and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Blah blah blah, so on and so forth.

Apparently, our adjudicator works from home :yes:

Beth & John
~K-1 Visa Process~

~AOS/EAD/AP~

~ROC~

I have a quick question, we have filled on July 6th and have not got any RFE or interview letters. On the internet case checker page, it still shows initial review. When a RFE or interview letter send out, do they usually put a note or any indication on the initial review page on their website that they have requested RFE or interview ?

I have a quick question, we have filled on July 6th and have not got any RFE or interview letters. On the internet case checker page, it still shows initial review. When a RFE or interview letter send out, do they usually put a note or any indication on the initial review page on their website that they have requested RFE or interview ?

Like I just said above :) , our case status has not changed since August 14th, 2012. So no, they do not always put a note on website on your case status that they have done anything. There are people who have received their 10-year GC and still no change on the website. I would imagine that they get around to it eventually :blink:

Beth & John
~K-1 Visa Process~

~AOS/EAD/AP~

~ROC~

the online status never change until they order the card production. I have to say CSC does improve their service a little bit lately. A month ago, a phone call would just lead you to a live person who's capable enough as a robot, now they do put you through to another live person who is able to function as much as an infopass officer can do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.