mish

When is the earliest date I could apply for Naturalization

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Fellow VJ members!

I am confused on when I should apply for Naturalization. I married a USC and I know i could apply 3 years after my Admission Date. I just got approved of my 10 year green card and is planning to apply for citizenship this year as well. I got approved last March 4th (stated on the GC) and got my card last monday (March 11th). It is stated on my notice of approval that my admission date was Sept 14, 2010. Now, my question is when is the earliest time that I can apply or submit my application? I read a comment online that I could apply 90 days before my 3rd admission date, is it true? My last question is when is the actual date that I could apply or submit my application.

I hope someone can help me understand the process, thank you very much and have a nice day!

Mish

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It is not 3yrs from when you entered United States but 3years anniversary of being LPR based on marriage to a USC. I see you profile states you filed for k-1 so you start counting three from when you were granted LPR after marriage top your USC spouse. once you clear that, then use the USCIS calculator linked by calypso above.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

No sooner than 90 days, before your 3-year anniversary being married to a USC, from the date on your first green card that gave your LPR status. The one poster above stated around the middle of June and that sounds about right.

Best of luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Your admission date does not matter.

Look at your greencard: there will be a "resident since..." date. It's 3 years minus 90 days from that date that you can apply.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You have to be married for three years before you can even send in your N-400, was no problem for us, because we were already married for 13 months during out AOS stage before my wife received her conditional green card. If they delayed it another 11 months, could have skipped that ROC stage and she would have received that ten year card.

Typically if you applied for your I-751 at the earliest possible date, 90 days before your conditional card expires, you can apply for US citizenship one year later from that date. Give or take a couple of days. If you send in your N-400 just one day too soon, could be rejected. Wife's day 90th day before her 3rd green card anniversary date fell on a Sunday when everything is closed. We debated sending in on the Saturday before, but elected to send it off the following Monday. Our main reason for sending it off as quick as possible, she never received her ten year green card, but did receive it just days before her interview.

Knowing the delays in AOS, we did apply for an EAD card at 300 bucks extra, so at least she could apply for an SS card so I could put her in on my bank accounts, APA wouldn't let us do that, even with a small 500 buck account. Could see a 25 million account like what those terrorist had, those were crazy days.

We would have waited for the five year if it wasn't for that hassle with that ten year card, took a ton of evidence, and she needed two passports after US citizenship to travel due to an agreement our DOS made with her home country.

Yeah, the most important part of getting your US citizenship is to vote, just had an local election where 95% of the candidates ran unopposed. But that is the most important part. Our state is also the last for a presidential primary election, another waste of time, candidates were already chosen. So tell me about the most important part of becoming a US citizen is the right to vote.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.