Tota

EGYPT Marriage/Divorce

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't know if there are any topics about this up already.

Sorry to make another one if there is.

Im engaged to an Egyptian, whos living in cairo.

We plan to get married, in Cairo.

After we get married, i will come back to the states.

Days or months go by.. da da da... saving up money before we apply.. da da da and hes still in Egypt.

Lets say something unfortunate happens and I WANT A DIVORCE.

How does it work? Could i file for a divorce without having to be IN CAIRO?

Oh and no :bonk: please, thanks.

Edited by Tota

I've no idea, but I bet there will be someone along shortly to answer. Props though for wanting to learn about this before getting married, so you're fully aware what you're doing. Many people don't bother. I hope you never have to use the information, but it's smart to be as well informed as possible.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't know if there are any topics about this up already.

Sorry to make another one if there is.

Im engaged to an Egyptian, whos living in cairo.

We plan to get married, in Cairo.

After we get married, i will come back to the states.

Days or months go by.. da da da... saving up money before we apply.. da da da and hes still in Egypt.

Lets say something unfortunate happens and I WANT A DIVORCE.

How does it work? Could i file for a divorce without having to be IN CAIRO?

Oh and no :bonk: please, thanks.

Your profile says you applied for a K-1 visa. Is this correct? If it is, you MUST marry in the US, no exceptions. If you didn't apply for a K-1, which sounds like it, you can apply for a spouse visa once you're married. Should you need a divorce, I believe you could file in your state but I'm not sure.

Frankly, one of the many reasons I chose the K-1 path is exactly because of this. I do not want any hoops-n-loops through international waters. It's always best to protect yourself as an American (legally speaking) than tapping into the unknown or uncertain. That's just me.

Good luck!

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Timeline

I've no idea, but I bet there will be someone along shortly to answer. Props though for wanting to learn about this before getting married, so you're fully aware what you're doing. Many people don't bother. I hope you never have to use the information, but it's smart to be as well informed as possible.

Thanks, yes better safe than sorry lol.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

This topic comes up a lot. Usually when someone wants a divorce after marriage not before. It took a little bit of searching but I found the information you're looking for.

Divorce is more complicated than getting Married because it depends on many things such as religion, children, where the marriage took place. You can divorce in Egypt or the States because the marriage will be recognized in both countries.

I first read about divorce by publication from a mena member back in 2007. You can read about it in the link below.

Divorce by Publication

For more recent information about divorce in Egypt I found an expat site that discusses all the complexities of doing it Egypt.

You can read about it in this link: Link

A whole lot of VJ MENA members have gone through divorce since their marriages to a MENA man, but most of them don't come back here and continue to post. Maybe some who've gone through divorce with an Egyptian will offer some advice.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

Your profile says you applied for a K-1 visa. Is this correct? If it is, you MUST marry in the US, no exceptions. If you didn't apply for a K-1, which sounds like it, you can apply for a spouse visa once you're married. Should you need a divorce, I believe you could file in your state but I'm not sure.

Frankly, one of the many reasons I chose the K-1 path is exactly because of this. I do not want any hoops-n-loops through international waters. It's always best to protect yourself as an American (legally speaking) than tapping into the unknown or uncertain. That's just me.

Good luck!

oh that was the original plan at first... but we decided on marrying in egypt for awhile now.

This topic comes up a lot. Usually when someone wants a divorce after marriage not before. It took a little bit of searching but I found the information you're looking for.

Divorce is more complicated than getting Married because it depends on many things such as religion, children, where the marriage took place. You can divorce in Egypt or the States because the marriage will be recognized in both countries.

I first read about divorce by publication from a mena member back in 2007. You can read about it in the link below.

Divorce by Publication

For more recent information about divorce in Egypt I found an expat site that discusses all the complexities of doing it Egypt.

You can read about it in this link: Link

A whole lot of VJ MENA members have gone through divorce since their marriages to a MENA man, but most of them don't come back here and continue to post. Maybe some who've gone through divorce with an Egyptian will offer some advice.

Interesting, thank you !!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

I have to concur that you should be commended for doing all this research before you get married. Divorce happens even with the best of intentions. These days it is so commonplace among Americans, what about when Americans marry someone from a very different culture? Not enough people make the plunge with eyes wide open.

I should add though that divorce does not nullify the I-864 (Affidavit of Support). A sponsor is on the hook for reimbursing the government if the ex (immigrant) files for means tested benefits until the immigrant becomes a citizen or has worked or been credited with 40 quarters of coverage under the Social Security Act. The immigrant may also sue the sponsor if insufficient financial support is given.

Edited by Sarah and Adnan

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

I have to concur that you should be commended for doing all this research before you get married. Divorce happens even with the best of intentions. These days it is so commonplace among Americans, what about when Americans marry someone from a very different culture? Not enough people make the plunge with eyes wide open.

The divorce rate is even higher in Egypt where a full 50% of marriages don't make it the first year.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

True that a divorce does not nullify the I864; however, if she divorces before his visa is granted she can cancel the petition.

You can divorce in the US. You don't have to go back to Egypt.

I should add though that divorce does not nullify the I-864 (Affidavit of Support). A sponsor is on the hook for reimbursing the government if the ex (immigrant) files for means tested benefits until the immigrant becomes a citizen or has worked or been credited with 40 quarters of coverage under the Social Security Act. The immigrant may also sue the sponsor if insufficient financial support is given.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

The divorce rate is even higher in Egypt where a full 50% of marriages don't make it the first year.

Happens in Yemen too! But probably not quite 50%. Geez. I wonder how men feel in Egypt about divorce now that Mubarak is out. Did the Brotherhood scrap the alimony laws yet? Figured that would be a priority :wacko: .

True that a divorce does not nullify the I864; however, if she divorces before his visa is granted she can cancel the petition.

You can divorce in the US. You don't have to go back to Egypt.

True I think the OP said she and her fiance already decided to get married in Egypt (and I assume file CR-1). There are pro's and con's to both processes.

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

K-1, CR1, same diff. If she cancels before he gets either she's off the hook. People can act a fool during the time between filing and getting that stamp in the passport. Luckily she has the option to cancel if that should occur. Unfortunately, most don't and end up wishing they did. :/

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.