Okalian

Traffic ticket not on driving record

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm applying based on 5-year rule and I'm preparing a list of documents to take with me to the interview, God Willing. I obtained my driving record, however there is only 1 ticket! I know i had another ticket february of last year but for some reason it's not there.

Basically, if the ticket isn't in my driver's record, do I need to bring it up at all? I don't want to cause any confusion as to why it's not on my record. Anyone had a similar experience?

and for taxes, there are years when i was a student and didn't make enough money to file for taxes. Do I have to bring proof that i wasn't required to file for such years?

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm applying based on 5-year rule and I'm preparing a list of documents to take with me to the interview, God Willing. I obtained my driving record, however there is only 1 ticket! I know i had another ticket february of last year but for some reason it's not there.

Basically, if the ticket isn't in my driver's record, do I need to bring it up at all? I don't want to cause any confusion as to why it's not on my record. Anyone had a similar experience?

and for taxes, there are years when i was a student and didn't make enough money to file for taxes. Do I have to bring proof that i wasn't required to file for such years?

My husband had a couple of tickets about 9 years ago and from what I've read some IO ask for the record and proof that the fines have been paid. So what we did was go to the county court house (in the counties the tickets were issued) and obtained his records saying he was cleared of all outstanding fines. That may help you in case they bring it up. At least have proof that all fines for your tickets were paid.

Edited by FlipgalRN

Our Naturalization Journey (Detailed timeline in About Me section)

01/14/2013 Mailed N-400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox
01/18/2013 N-400 fees check cashed
01/18/2013 NOA Received (Biometrics appointment)
02/04/2013 Early Biometrics (Original date 02/14/2013)
02/07/2013 Status changed to in line for interview
02/13/2013 Received 2nd NOA (Interview scheduled)
02/15/2013 Received yellow letter from USCIS to bring DL
03/18/2013 N-400 Interview

03/20/2013 Status changed to in que for Oath ceremony
03/29/2013 Status changed to Oath ceremony scheduled and letter sent

04/01/2013 Received Oath Letter
04/09/2013 Oath Ceremony (N-400 completed in 2 months 3 weeks and 5 days)

event.png

Filed: Timeline

It depends on the state, but for example in my state, they only go back so far on your report, depending what it is being used for, for instance, insurance, or to show to an employer. You may have to request your full record, to see what could be seen. However, if the fine was less than $500, didn't involving alcohol or drugs, and you didn't get booked into jail, you may not have disclose it, unless you are asked specifically at the interview - opinions vary. However, if you have an open ticket, that you didn't appear on or pay the fine, don't assume it disappeared from your record.

Edited by The Patriot

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Stepdaughter did have part time jobs during college, did do taxes for her so she could get 70 or so bucks back, did get tax transcripts for her to bring in, but even as tough as her IO was, didn't even want to look at them. Finally followed their rule where tax returns are not required for the five year.

Would check with your insurance agent for any tickets, they have access to a major database the rest of us don't have. They did find that 50 buck fine that was over four years old her IO wanted proof of I had to pay for her when she was a minor. Really have no business asking for this, at least according to their instructions, but you are also dealing with god almighty.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

So basically i intend to disclose it, but how far back should I mention? I don't mind mentioning all tickets I've ever had (i think about 6 in the last 12 years), but should I only mention those since I became a permanent resident? It will be very hard for me at this time to obtain receipts for paid tickets 6 or 7 years ago!

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

In most states, will not only pull your driver's license, but license plates as well with outstanding fines. Seems by just showing your driver's license should be proof enough all your fines were paid. But then you are dealing with a highly incompetent but super powerful IO.

Why not get proof you paid the ticket instead of skirting around whether they will find out or not. Then you are covered. Some USCIS applications are clear about not reporting traffic incidents. I don't think the N-400 gives any criteria for what not to report. We were undecided based on VJ opinions and my husband said no on the application because he had a speeding ticket on his UK license before he even had a greencard or was on my insurance. After reading more, it seemed like having proof the ticket was paid was the thing to do. At the interview, they go over the application line by line. At the appropriate point, he said "I may have answered that incorrectly." Then he asked if traffic tickets counted and offered the receipt. This particular officer took the documentation and wrote in the notes or on the application (I wasn't in there but hubby said he wrote it down. ) He was approved on the spot, so it wasn't an issue.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.